Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

Angnix
Veteran
Veteran

14 May 2019, 9:59 pm

I found a job ad for a zoology teacher at a charter school in Detroit. The first part of the ad made it sound like I might be qualified, it said a teaching certificate or a bachelor's in the subject area (I have a bachelor's in zoology itself) with some previous teaching and research experience (I had some environmental education jobs and research jobs) but then later on it said you had to have one of the science endorsements on your teaching certificate? When earlier it said certificate or bachelor's? I mean I am interested in it, permanent with benefits plus if you pursue your Masters at a local University you get a significant tuition reduction as a bonus and the employer got good reviews on Indeed... I applied but I'm wondering about the teaching certificate thing... Ehhh...

Avatar: A Shiny from the new Pokemon Pearl remake, Shiny Chatot... I named him TaterTot...

FINALLY diagnosed with ASD 2/6/2020

BeaArthur
Veteran
Veteran

14 May 2019, 11:27 pm

The way I read this is, if you have a bachelor's in say English or Art, you better have a teaching certification plus they want you to have at least a little science accreditation. But if your bachelor's is in Zoology, they will overlook the lack of a certificate.

I am not sure how it works in Michigan, but I know private schools often don't require a teacher's certificate, whereas public ones absolutely do (except in substitute teachers). Now you called this school a charter school, my guess is that means it is more similar to a private school even if it is part of the state system.

Good luck. I bet you'd be a great zoology teacher!

BTDT
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2019, 9:43 am

I went to a private prep school that would hire teachers right out of college with just a 4 year degree.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2019, 9:44 am

Apply for the job. If they do "require" a teaching certificate, maybe they would allow you to take the test.

Angnix
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2019, 10:10 am

I emailed them the question and they called me today... They accept a bachelor's in the field of study if you also have experience plus if you don't have a teaching certificate they help you get one... Anyway they set up an interview for tomorrow morning, I explained the car situation and they understood, they will call by phone!

Yay!

Avatar: A Shiny from the new Pokemon Pearl remake, Shiny Chatot... I named him TaterTot...

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2019, 10:24 am

Good luck!

I would dress in a sweater and dress pants for the interview (trousers for the Brits out there!)

Angnix
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2019, 11:54 am

On the other hand... My husband asked what area of Detroit it was in since he used to live there... When I looked it up he told me "the black gang members live there!"

Then I looked up the school on Google... Picture showed students and they were indeed all African American. Also the school received poor acedemic reviews and Google reviews said huge fights break out in the school everyday... Doesn't sound too good

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2019, 12:03 pm

I would still try this position.

If it doesn't suit you, just give your two-weeks' notice.

Even in "ghetto" areas, there are good schools. What matters is who runs them----more than the area they are in.

Maybe this is a "charter" school.

Angnix
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2019, 12:50 pm

It is a charter school. Second on Google maps I clicked on the wrong school... The real school according to hubby is in a better area lol...

This job is a little over an hour's drive from where I live now. Still going to be a phone interview. I match the criteria for what they are looking for perfectly... According to salary info teachers at that school get a salary of about 46,000/year plus benefits

Angnix
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2019, 1:47 pm

Okay, the neighborhood the school is in, rivertown warehouse district, is rated best neighborhood in Detroit on one site, rich people trendy area...

Angnix
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2019, 2:47 pm

Okay... I THOUGHT I had the Seattle interview today... But there was a scheduling mistake, now it's Friday... Detroit interview still tomorrow.