Israeli study links autism, general anesthesia in C-sections

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2019, 3:27 am

Times of Israel

Quote:
An Israeli study released Tuesday has found that children born under general anesthesia during Cesarean section births may be at at higher risk of developing autism.

Researchers at Ben-Gurion University of the Negev and Soroka University Medical Center in Beersheba said they have discovered a link between the use of general anesthesia and the development of autism symptoms.

“We have known for many years that children born via ‘C-section’ are at higher risk of autism, but we weren’t able to quantify exactly why,” Dr. Idan Menashe, of BGU’s Department of Public Health and the Zlotowski Center for Neuroscience, said in a press release.

While highlighting the potential association between C-sections under general anesthesia anesthetic and autism, the study suggested that “C-sections performed with other types of anesthesia such as epidural or spinal sedation are relatively safe,” said Menashe, who is also the scientific director of the National Autism Research Center at BGU.

The study compared the birth records of 350 children diagnosed with autism and 2,000 control births, finding that children whose mothers gave birth by C-section under general anesthesia had increased risk of autism, while those performed with other types of anesthesia did not.

Researchers also found that the reason for the C-section surgery, either by choice or because of pregnancy complications, did not influence the outcome.

magz
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2019, 3:31 am

Might be just another contributor to autism severity, moving some children from subclinical to diagnosable.

I was born naturally, my Aspie daughter was born naturally without any anesthesia so aparently avoiding general anesthesia and c-section doesn't prevent developing autistic traits.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2019, 4:17 am

No anesthesia for my wife either, just nitrogen gas

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2019, 4:30 am

generally in my experience in the L & D, general was selected when they were in a hurry to get the baby out, usually after prolonged fetal bradycardia and acidic blood chemistry [signs of fetal distress]. so how are those researchers able to categorically exclude other factors leading to the emergent c-section with rapid-induction general? methinks they didn't go deep enough into the patient medical records, if even they had access to such. flawed study.

Teach51
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

15 May 2019, 6:39 am

ASPartOfMe wrote:
Times of Israel
Quote:
An Israeli study released Tuesday has found that children born under general anesthesia during Cesarean section births may be at at higher risk of developing autism.

Researchers at Ben-Gurion University of the Negev and Soroka University Medical Center in Beersheba said they have discovered a link between the use of general anesthesia and the development of autism symptoms.

“We have known for many years that children born via ‘C-section’ are at higher risk of autism, but we weren’t able to quantify exactly why,” Dr. Idan Menashe, of BGU’s Department of Public Health and the Zlotowski Center for Neuroscience, said in a press release.

While highlighting the potential association between C-sections under general anesthesia anesthetic and autism, the study suggested that “C-sections performed with other types of anesthesia such as epidural or spinal sedation are relatively safe,” said Menashe, who is also the scientific director of the National Autism Research Center at BGU.

The study compared the birth records of 350 children diagnosed with autism and 2,000 control births, finding that children whose mothers gave birth by C-section under general anesthesia had increased risk of autism, while those performed with other types of anesthesia did not.

Researchers also found that the reason for the C-section surgery, either by choice or because of pregnancy complications, did not influence the outcome.

I saw the news item live on Israeli television. The stated statistic was 60% more incidence of autism after C Section under general anaesthetic.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2019, 8:23 am

Correlation does not imply causation. There may (very likely) be other factors involved.

(Normal vaginal delivery for me.)

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2019, 9:38 am

One child delivered with an epidural the other under general.
My child born with general,has a learning disability and some sensory issues.
Who knows, but it’s worth investigating further.
I’m more concerned that women are having elective c-sections instead of emergency ones.All because they worry their lady parts might get stretched.

"Security is mostly a superstition.It does not exist in nature,nor do the children of men as a whole experience it.Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure.Life is either a daring adventure,or nothing." Helen Keller

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

16 May 2019, 3:35 am

i am the way i am [aspie :alien: ] despite no anaesthesia for my birth, i was born precipitously, my mom said i was a "big ouch" :oops:

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

16 May 2019, 3:55 am

My birth was natural but premature with post birth complications.