Unsure 76%  76%  [ 13 ]
What's your problem anyway? 6%  6%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 17

StarTrekker
Veteran
Veteran

17 May 2019, 11:04 pm

Angnix wrote:
I had bad social skills, meltdowns and excessive interests as a kid... As an adult I still have special interests but my social skills have improved. I am being treated for bipolar, but I still get meltdowns. Most mental health people have said I have "traits" and possibly I could have been diagnosed as a child, but my social skills have improved enough not to be disabled anymore in that area.

If professionals deem that you're not disabled by poor social skills, that's a red flag that either you don't have autism (meltdowns can be caused by bipolar disorder too) or you may once have qualified for an ASD diagnosis, but have improved your functioning enough to no longer need one (since the entire point of diagnostic labels is to put a name to issues you're having for the purpose of receiving help and support).

It's possible to have traits of a condition without having enough of them, or having them severely enough, to qualify for a diagnosis. For example, I have traits of OCD that include a preoccupied anxiety regarding germs, obsessive intrusive thoughts, and compulsive behaviours, but these symptoms don't interfere with my daily life, and I can move past them relatively quickly, so even though it may look on paper like I have OCD, in reality, I wouldn't qualify for diagnosis. You may well be part of the broader autism phenotype, which isn't a true condition so much as it is a term to describe people with "more autistic traits than an average NT".

Thanks to Olympiadis for my fantastic avatar!

Amity
Veteran
Veteran

18 May 2019, 12:27 am

As an adult woman, in your financial situation i wouldnt persue an official diagnosis. It is a luxury for those adults who have the means. From what I recall you tend to have more pressing matters to deal with such as security/basic human needs, food shelter etc.
I've read your posts and I couldn't say either way, but I do know you struggle and that your experiences are real.
I agree with the suggestions to ask for a non official professional opinion, for free if possible. Perhaps you are on the broad autistic phenotype with bipolar, that still makes you one of us in my mind.

BTDT
Veteran
Veteran

18 May 2019, 1:01 am

To be scientific, you should tally the both the yes and no responses from the experts you query.