I'm more afraid of the left than the right in the US

Page 1 of 14 [ 214 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 14  Next

Hollywood_Guy
Veteran
Veteran

16 May 2019, 3:56 am

This is because it's getting close to 2020 and I get anxious feelings about the direction of society as I feel Western countries and the US are pretty much finished.

The left (Democrats) is who I'm more afraid of than any movement or parties on the right. Because they expressed wanting things like the crazy "green new deal" and executive actions related to owning guns when they would get to power.

Am I actually the only one who feels the other way? I'm really anxious and worried about the current direction, I don't know how I'll survive 2020.

:(

LoveNotHate
Veteran
Veteran

16 May 2019, 4:30 am

Looks like moderate Joe Biden will shut all that down.

Hollywood_Guy
Veteran
Veteran

16 May 2019, 4:47 am

LoveNotHate wrote:
Looks like moderate Joe Biden will shut all that down.

What do you mean?

Even moderate Dem I feel a little shy of. I haven't researched him yet either.

This isn't trying to judge either, but this is my experience with the large majority of people who call themselves liberals or progressives. I can give the right some criticism too, but it's hard for me to compare them to the other side.

So I don't know. Guess try to convince me why I would be interested in voting for a Democrat candidate?

Biscuitman
Veteran
Veteran

16 May 2019, 6:19 am

What's the 'crazy green new deal' about?

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

16 May 2019, 7:04 am

I believe it’s about recycling, eating less or no meat, believing wholeheartedly in the worst-case scenarios involving climate change, dispensing with “wasteful” lifestyles.

I’ll have to research for more specifics.

But I am one who likes to eat meat and believes in the positive “old time values.”

Arevelion
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

16 May 2019, 7:17 am

Don't you know? Convincing anyone of anything on the internet is nigh impossible.

Still I am going to blatantly honest you. This is what you sound like to me.

"Help, help! The liberals are trying to give me money! Help! Help! The liberals are trying to give me healthcare! Aaaaaaaaahhh!! Help help! The liberals are trying to stop global warming! Help help! The liberals are trying to protect me from mass shootings Aaaaaaahhh!"

Actually you don't have to worry about that last one. Democrats don't do much to stop mass shootings ether. So don't worry, you can keep your assault rifles, especially if you elect my buddy Bernie. You don't get to be a senator of Vermont by being serious on gun control. Anyways...

What if you got seriously ill or something, and I tried to give you money to help you through your hard time, would you be afraid of me? Is being nice to people really such a terrifying thing? Now you might say something to the likes of,

"Wait Arevelion. Doesn't setting up social programs necessarily cause countries to be dictatorships?"

No it doesn't! There are plenty of democracies that provide their citizens health care, social programs, environmental regulation and gun control that are not dictatorships! On the other hand, the right wing government of Viktor Orban in Hungry has been starting to look a little authoritarian lately. The right wing government of Andrzej Duda is starting to worry me with it's tight control of the Polish judiciary. Also it's a little concerning to me that Neo NAZIs have become more active with the campaign and election of Donald Trump. Not saying there's causation there just...

You know what? The heck with it. I'm just gonna say it. Prejudice leads to dictatorship, and war. You should be deftly afraid of prejudice people even the ones on the right!

(Huffs)

Look. I don't know who you really are. You may a be a really rich person, who worked hard to become that way. In which case I could understand why you would be annoyed about paying higher taxes for people who may or may not have worked as hard as you did. Furthermore as someone with a BA in economics I understand, though don't fully support, the logic behind minimal government which the right claims to support.

But higher taxes, environmental regulation, and gun control being scarier than Neo NAZIs? I'm just not feeling it.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

16 May 2019, 7:58 am

Biscuitman wrote:
What's the 'crazy green new deal' about?

Control.

Controlled diet, consumerism, activities, finaces, choices etc. All for our own good and to save the planet of course *wink wink*

Biscuitman
Veteran
Veteran

16 May 2019, 8:11 am

This is the Green New deal. 14 page doc.

https://ocasio-cortez.house.gov/sites/ocasio-cortez.house.gov/files/Resolution%20on%20a%20Green%20New%20Deal.pdf

haven't read it. Just read a couple of website explanations of basic stuff and the glaring omission in there is costing. Economics drives most things, makes it financially enticing to people and they will go for it, don't and they won't. simple stuff.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

16 May 2019, 8:15 am

I feel that most of the “right wing” is reactionary. Getting rid of immigrants. Getting rid of “irreligion,” stamping out abortion.

Just reacting by getting rid of things.

But I’m not into the paternalism of the “left wing,” either.

Fireblossom
Veteran
Veteran

16 May 2019, 12:36 pm

I'm not American and don't know much about politics over there, but I kind of get you. There are, after all, such things as "too far on the left" just like there are "too far on the right." It's just that the right side tends to be demonized more and the fact that "too far left" exists usually gets ignored.

And just so we're clear: I'm not really neither, more like in the middle.

VegetableMan
Veteran
Veteran

16 May 2019, 12:44 pm

There is nothing liberal or progressive about the Democratic Party, so you needn't be afraid. If Pubs don't scare you, then Dems shouldn't scare you. They both driving the runaway neoliberal freight train that has been screwing us over for decades.

Oscar Meyer Lansky

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

16 May 2019, 12:46 pm

I have contempt for both the Dummycrats and the Repugnicans.

They're both in the pockets of the Billionaire Industrialists.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Antrax
Veteran
Veteran

16 May 2019, 1:10 pm

Hollywood_Guy wrote:
Am I actually the only one who feels the other way? I'm really anxious and worried about the current direction, I don't know how I'll survive 2020.

No there are many who do. I'm not too worried about 2020, because honestly I've given up on politics in this country.

Arevelion wrote:
"Help, help! The liberals are trying to give me money! Help! Help! The liberals are trying to give me healthcare! Aaaaaaaaahhh!! Help help! The liberals are trying to stop global warming! Help help! The liberals are trying to protect me from mass shootings Aaaaaaahhh!"

More like "Help help the liberals are promising things they can't pay for and will drive our entire society into poverty with their recklessness."

Arganger
Veteran
Veteran

16 May 2019, 1:14 pm

All paths lead to authoritarianism.
We are doomed by either party.

Suspected; PTSD (Treated, as my counselor did notice), possible PCOS, PMDD, Learning disabilities (Sure of it, unknown what they are), possibly something wrong with immune system (Sick about as much as I'm not) Possible EDS- hyper mobility type (Will be getting tested, suggested by doctor) dysautonomia

Hollywood_Guy
Veteran
Veteran

16 May 2019, 2:29 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
I feel that most of the “right wing” is reactionary. Getting rid of immigrants. Getting rid of “irreligion,” stamping out abortion.

Just reacting by getting rid of things.

But I’m not into the paternalism of the “left wing,” either.

Yeah, and what if the current status-quo happens to be overall not desirable?

Hollywood_Guy
Veteran
Veteran

16 May 2019, 2:30 pm

Fireblossom wrote:
I'm not American and don't know much about politics over there, but I kind of get you. There are, after all, such things as "too far on the left" just like there are "too far on the right." It's just that the right side tends to be demonized more and the fact that "too far left" exists usually gets ignored.

And just so we're clear: I'm not really neither, more like in the middle.

Are you in the UK? Where do you live?