What's Happening. Can't Make Head Or Tail Of This.

Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ] 

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

16 May 2019, 1:31 pm

Today my mum and I went to visit a lovely couple who are family friends. We were invited in. We were there for a few hours. Time goes fast! Anyway, for the last half hour I could feel an energy loss situation just starting to take place. All I had was a glass of water. Nothing sweet or chocolaty to eat or drink, and I felt it imploite to ask, and besides, I didn't want to interupt the lady talking.
Now when I get these energy loss situations the last thing I try to do is something energetic as it normally means I go deeper into it and the recovery time will be longer etc.
Now those of you who have read what I have put on other posts will understand that I came on this site to try to see if there is any possible link between this energy loss which I have had since a child, and autism. Is a long story where I don't have a clue if I have asperges or not, and I only thought it may be a small possibility as some (But not all) symptoms asperges get I can identify with (But so can most people in the world? Not sure).
Back to todays events. I thought to myself that I was in trouble here. I assumed I had chocolate in the car but I later found out that I forgot to take it as I left it on the sofa ready to take... (As chocolate lessens the effects giving me some energy). Anyway, I didn't ask as the lady was talking and talking... I didn't want to interupt her. A thought came to my mind. If I am on the spectrum (Or even if I am not... Its worth a try anyway) then will stimming help. Will it make any difference? In my younger years I found myself often moving my legs up and down a bit like a shivery shake, especially when in school or college, but I stopped doing it after being told off. I didn't habe a clue why I was doing this. I just put it down to nurves. So without attracting too much attention I made my toes go up and down inside my shoes and slightly moved my feet etc. Nothing dramatic. Just to see if while feeling like this it may make a difference.
The result was that I am not 100% sure, but it seemed to delay the effects of this energy loss... which is wierd. Wierd? Well, normally I want to lie down and do as little as possible to recover.
Well. We went home and my mum made food. I ate the chocolate and crisps that I left on the sofa, as I still was in a semi state of half going into an energy loss situation. My youngest brother and his wife are here. Now I was hoping that instead of being in this semi state of half going into one of these (Hard to describe) energy loss states that the food will start to work and with relaxing I will have a full recovery. What I describe as a semi state is sometimes when I partly recover from one I feel weak or tired? Not sure how to describe it. Not exactly tired...
Anyway, Just had food and my brother starts asking for help as he has plans to lay some hedges. (Hedge laying). Well, the thought of it and I started to go back towards another energy loss situation. Well. I was half in and half out. I said "Not now". Then a phonecall. A family friend (A nice gentleman who is in his 80's) is on his way up. He is here now and I have made anappearance, but I had to go back upstairs to lie on my bed. Now I thought about stimming again, so being alone, I can give it a try. (Haha. I have to test it while I feel like this!)
I started to shake my legs and one hand. It began to work. Am I imagining it? My muscles started to warm up. But how come? I mean. How does it seem to work when normally if I do anything physical I am in trouble as I go deeper into the symptoms I get? Is it my imagination? But it has worked, as here I am out of the energy loss situation relaxing on the lavatory writing this. What is going on?

So is it my imagination that it works? I have no idea. How come? I just can't explain it at all. It could be entirely a bit of stress relief? I am intregued and puzzled. Fascinated even. But can stimming work for those not on the spectrum? Or am I on the spectrum? I am going to have to wait around 14 months to be tested. I was thinking of cancelling myself off the list incase anyone urgent needs the assessment. Umm. Mind you, if I don't get assessed how will I rule out that I am not on the spectrum or discover that I am?
Questions... Questions! I do have an inquisitive mind! Haha.

Any thoughts? Also, anyone who can identify with what I can only describe as energy loss?

Oh. I just have to add that when I tried stimming I had some music on quietly which was "I'm Walking On Sunshine" which had a nice fast beat which made the experiment easy!

jimmy m
Veteran
Veteran

16 May 2019, 2:54 pm

Not really enough information to make a finding.
But what you said is interesting.

If your energy loss situation you are describing is your body going into a deep meltdown, known as tonic immobility, then yes your "shivery shake" can be a means to return your body out of a stress condition. What you said earlier is also kind of interesting. You said that perhaps you should go see a veterinarian instead of a doctor because the wait list is too long for seeing a doctor.

Actually the correct solution to understanding Aspergers is merging the psychological approach of healing PTSD and animal behavioral studies. As some might say we are an by-product of evolution. We are animals in nature.

So if your loss of energy was due to an overload of stress then

Animals have a natural way to shed stress quickly. Peter Levine studied the physiology of stress and trauma. He observed, “animals will complete the full sequence of a response to danger, by noticing, reacting, and recovering from the threat. Humans often interrupt it. When in jeopardy, animals will access and expend enormous amounts of energy providing the” fuel” to escape the danger. Dr. Levine observed that, once the threat has been successfully overcome, there is a discharge of excess energy through the body. The body returns to [its natural] baseline by allowing a chemical discharge to move through the nervous system—for example by trembling, shaking, bucking, or running further than necessary simply to escape the predator—which resets the mind and body and prepares it for the next challenge. This became a basis for a type of trauma therapy known as somatic experiencing. This is a type of therapy targeting fear and stress such as programs that treat PTSD (posttraumatic stress disorder) and other traumas.

As a matter of fact, one of the therapies suggested for PTSD treatment is called Tension & Trauma Release Exercises (TRE). TRE assist the body in releasing deep muscular patterns of stress, tension and trauma. The exercises safely activate a natural reflex mechanism of shaking or vibrating that releases muscular tension, calming down the nervous system. When this muscular shaking/vibrating mechanism is activated in a safe and controlled environment, the body is encouraged to return back to a state of balance.

Neurogenic tremor regulates the release of serotonin and cerebral GABA and as a consequence reduces hyperarousal due to the reduced activity of the amygdala.

David Berceli, a former Catholic priest, with a PhD in clinical social work and a certified bioenergeticist, has lived in numerous conflict zones such as Israel/Palestine, Sudan, Uganda, Kenya, Yemen, Egypt and Lebanon. He has stayed in areas that have seen military action. Berceli reports that during a grenade attack during the war in Lebanon he took shelter in a cellar with eight other people of varying nationalities. While the bombs rained down, he observed everyone huddling into the fetal position. In the threatening situation the same automatic reflex-type movements were adopted by everyone. “During any traumatic experience the extensor muscles are inhibited so that the flexor muscles can contract.“ This position helps to protect the internal organs and may create a feeling of safety. As already stated above, the following muscles are primarily involved: the calf muscles, the quadriceps muscle, the adductors, the diaphragm, the neck muscles and the muscles of mastication. The main muscle groups that contract in a threatening situation are the ilio-psoas muscle, the trunk, including the pelvis and legs. The ilio-psoas contracts when we assume the fetal position. The compensatory reaction of the erector spinae muscles leads to chronic backache in numerous traumatized people, since the tension in the ilio-psoas is chronically increased.

Berceli has observed that many people who have been traumatized go on to develop a spontaneous tremor. Many attempt to suppress this reaction. Children tremble spontaneously. The tremor in adults is often prevented in the presence of children, so that children do not interpret this tremor as anxiety of the adults. “Tremor is essentially a natural mechanism of the body, so that it can discharge the high level of tension and chemical substances which overload the body at the time of a traumatic incident. The trembling process discharges the body of excessive energy and it returns to a state of rest and relaxation. In fact the ability to shake off a trauma is one of the most archaic reactions of the human animal.

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

16 May 2019, 3:24 pm

Wow. Thank you for that. I will re-read some of it as the technical terms I am not used to. You know lots! :)

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

16 May 2019, 4:12 pm

jimmy m wrote:
Not really enough information to make a finding.
But what you said is interesting.

If your energy loss situation you are describing is your body going into a deep meltdown, known as tonic immobility, then yes your "shivery shake" can be a means to return your body out of a stress condition. What you said earlier is also kind of interesting. You said that perhaps you should go see a veterinarian instead of a doctor because the wait list is too long for seeing a doctor.

Ah. I said about seeing a vet instead as it is about trying to explain things to the doctor. I mean... I often find I clam up and don't say much. My idea was a vet treats their patients without them needing to talk. So if I clam up it won't matter!

BeaArthur
Veteran
Veteran

16 May 2019, 4:19 pm

Have you ever described these energy drain situations to a medical doctor? They sound like low blood sugar. (Which is not the same thing as diabetes.) Before looking for a psychiatric cause, make sure there isn't a physical cause.

It could also be something like anemia.

Map84
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

16 May 2019, 4:24 pm

Aren't these low energy situations what we'd call autism burnout?

Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 88 of 200

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

16 May 2019, 5:01 pm

Yes. Usually at least twice a year since the age of about 18, maybe younger, though I have been experiwncing them since I was about six or seven years old. I am now 47 and had all sorts of tests over the years and nothing ever has been found. It is only the last few weeks I had a ligtbulb moment where after listening to an autistic lady on youtube which itself was due to another different subject I was looking at as I get faceblindness issues on occasions, that I thought there maybe a link.
Mind you, for the last four or five years I have had five people tell me (The last actually told my brother two or three weeks ago) that they thought I had asperges. About two years ago I decided to ask a doctor about it as just before that I was dating a lady (Mostly online) for several months who had asperges. She was a beautiful natured lady and has an autistic son. Now while I don't get all the issues she had, some of the issues she has (Which are relatively minor) I can personally relate to. She sent a link to an online test and I took it and had a 50/50 type result as a few questions I was unsure what they meant so I put no. I thought at the time "Well that's useful being in the middle of having or not having it! I may as well not have taken it as it didn't tell me anything either way! However, the test said to see a doctor.
So the last two or three years, now and then while I habe needed to go for other things like throat closing up or a blood pressure check, I have been wanting to ask. However, even when I once booked an appojntment just to ask directly, I clammed up and didnt ask.
So, two or three weeks ago when I saw there was a possible link and that I seemed to identify myself with half the issues that asperges get and I was puzzled if the energy loss could be melt downs but in a different form? So determined to find answers, I booked another appointment and asked my mum to come in as well so if I clammed up she would be able to ask for me! I know it is embarissing to do that, but I was so determined to track down the energy loss, that I was up to almost any suggestion within reason.
Well, I dis manage to ask in a round about way, though when the doctor asked for symptoms, I couldn't say much. I clammed up again and only said two. My mum said another. The doctor said she would refer me but she said there was no link between energy loss and meltdowns. She said it was up to a referral team if I would be accepted or not so not to assume my case will be accepted.
Well. That was a nurvous few days of waiting for the doctors appointment and also a nurvous few days of waiting to find out if I will be referred or not. I am referred. There is a bit of a long wait, but at least I am ok with that. :) It was the not knowing which made me nurvous along with "What have I done!" thoughts.

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

16 May 2019, 5:07 pm

Map84 wrote:
Aren't these low energy situations what we'd call autism burnout?

That is the question I am trying to find out. :) I want to find out if what I experience is a burnout or a meltdown or something like that. Why I thought I would ask to see if anyone has them in a similar way. It is hard to describe them precisely.

jimmy m
Veteran
Veteran

16 May 2019, 9:58 pm

I would like for you to start making a list of your symptoms. Describe them in the same manner that you are describing them on Wrong Planet. When you finally get an appointment to see the doctor for a consult, bring the list along with you and as you walk in present the list to the doctor.

This way the stress for your visit will not interfere with getting an accurate diagnosis.

BeaArthur
Veteran
Veteran

16 May 2019, 10:43 pm

Yes, I agree with Jimmy, the antidote to clamming up is to write out exactly what you want to say to the doctor, and hand it over. I usually write up my list of questions and just read them off; my problem is not so much clamming up as forgetting.

When I think of autistic shutdown or burnout, I think of a condition that can last for weeks, months, or years. So these episodes don't sound familiar to me. But I don't think autistic burnout/shutdown is a key diagnostic symptom, so I advise you not to worry about it.

Good luck with your assessment.

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

17 May 2019, 1:50 am

Thank you all so much. I hope i future months I don't anoy anyone if I try to describe what I feel in more depth as I have about 14 months wait to be assessed... I may come across as a little anoying...
What I mean as clamming up is my mind goes blank. I suddenly can't think of the words to say. I am left there trying to get some thoughts into my mind, and when I get thoughts they come out in a type of default setting... I mean.. Somehow I can then think of a symprom of another issue that is not one I wanted to ask? I don't know why I tend to do this while nurvous as normally I am a person with above average intelligence (If average intelligence was 50 out of 100 I would be about 65 to 75 depending on the day and subject... (Though foreign languages more like way below average... more like 25 out of 100, and english I would struggle to reach an average mark in, which the language bit and especially the english bit is something my mum would excell in as she is almlst a walking dictionary and a writer. Her mind works well in languages and she seems to be able to quickly learn western languages quickly if she ever needs to. She could read and write from around 18 months onwards and was reading adult books from the age of two (A relative kept a library next door). I spoke very clearly three words I copied from hearing them on TV at six months old (And I remember it) but then I didn't speak until the average age to speak. When I go over the principles and remember them (I forget this subject easily if I don't use it) I can get good results in maths. However, if things are taught too fast (I realy struggle with dictating... I mean when a teacher speaks expecting us to write what the say down, so in school and college I had huge gaps in my work which didn't help to learn the principles of maths etc. But when I could grasp it and was shown in a clear way, I would get a good result. The last exam I had 100% in as I knew the trick question from an exam I did about two years before! (All maths exams had this trick question designed to stop us getting 100%).

A list is a very good idea. Thank you all for your support and advice. Much appreciated.

BTDT
Veteran
Veteran

17 May 2019, 8:23 am

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spoon_theory
You may want to study something called Spoon Theory to manage your condition. As it helps with a wide variety of disorders it won't help diagnosing the cause of your problems.

I have a limit to how much shopping I can do. It is much less at a crowded mall. When I get tired I just go home, even though I may have stuff on my list to buy. It is purely neurological. I can go home and do physical work with no problems.

Writing down what you can do to manage your condition may help a professional diagnose your condition. Write down what doesn't work as well. That is equally important.

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

17 May 2019, 10:04 am

Thank you. I will look after I write this. :)

I have just read the theory but it does not quite add up to what I get. That seems closer to M.E. which though my aunt and we think my grandmother may have had, it does not feel the same as what I have as I get energy loss, eat something and then soon recover. It is why my initial thoughts were along the lines of diabesis, but for years the doctors say I don't have it and am not anemic either.
However, I believe now that there does seem to be some sort of mental link to it (No, I'm not mental... (Even though some may not agree! HAHAHA,)) as most of the time there does seem to be some sort of slight stress? It is hard to describe as I have only recently learned what stress may be. I am not always the best to describe what I feel. I feel hot, cold, warm... I feel pain... But trying to describe how I feel mentally other then at times I feel nurvous or other times (I think this is stress) I feel pressureized inside my head, and this is not a pressure in the same way as a swelling. It is thinking pressure like when trying to study for an exam... But sometimes I feel fine but then find I must be stressed as I get some energy loss and my mum says I am stressed. So feelings mentally are quite different to physical feelings, and can be hard to explain.
To add to this, I do have both a good spiritual sense in both feeling and at times spiritual sight, and I do also have the ability to sense the radio waves being omitted off mobile phones and pylons etc. Sometimes putting a mobile phone up to my ear hurts. Hurt is not quite the word but it is close to that. I try to hold a mobile phone about two or three inches away from my head to lesten the effect.
I sometimes find it odd other people don't get the same!