Page 2 of 4 [ 47 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

treefiddy
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

User avatar

Joined: 10 May 2019
Age: 350
Gender: Female
Posts: 172
Location: Nowhere/Now

20 May 2019, 12:59 pm

There's this book called "The Complete Book of Rules: Time-tested secrets for capturing the heart of Mr Right" which gives girls advice on how to act in order to attract a man; basically don't be yourself :roll:

there's a chapter in it called "Never call him and rarely return his calls"! ! :lol: It's so ridiculous. My old landlord and I used to get high, read it out to each other and laugh


_________________
Кто сгорел, того не подожжешь.


Laeril
Toucan
Toucan

User avatar

Joined: 13 Mar 2019
Age: 31
Gender: Female
Posts: 260
Location: Eagle Mountain, Utah

20 May 2019, 3:25 pm

Back when Twilight was popular, I promised my sister I would read the first book just to try it out. I almost got all the way through, but alas, I failed because it was just so blah.


_________________
A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." - Douglas Adams

My blog


Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 6 May 2008
Gender: Male
Posts: 40,904
Location: Stendec

20 May 2019, 3:35 pm

Anything by L. Ron Hubbard.

Any religious tract by Jack Chick.

Any self-help book written by a New-Age author.


_________________
 
“I must acknowledge, once and for all, that the
purpose of diplomacy is to prolong a crisis.”

— Leonard Nimoy as Mr. Spock, in the Star Trek
episode "The Mark of Gideon" (ep. 3.16, 1969)


PurpleReject
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

User avatar

Joined: 13 May 2019
Age: 30
Gender: Male
Posts: 209
Location: California

20 May 2019, 3:38 pm

Fnord wrote:
Any religious tract by Jack Chick.


Those are hilarious, in my opinion. I'd go out of my way to read one because they're almost always a bushel of "WTF?".



Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 6 May 2008
Gender: Male
Posts: 40,904
Location: Stendec

20 May 2019, 3:41 pm

PurpleReject wrote:
Fnord wrote:
Any religious tract by Jack Chick.
Those are hilarious, in my opinion. I'd go out of my way to read one because they're almost always a bushel of "WTF?".
Oh, they're hilarious, alright; because they're so awful!


_________________
 
“I must acknowledge, once and for all, that the
purpose of diplomacy is to prolong a crisis.”

— Leonard Nimoy as Mr. Spock, in the Star Trek
episode "The Mark of Gideon" (ep. 3.16, 1969)


Twilightprincess
Veteran
Veteran

Joined: 28 Sep 2016
Age: 35
Gender: Female
Posts: 4,379

20 May 2019, 3:51 pm

When I responded to this, I wasn’t thinking about religious books! I’ve read tons of awful religious books.



Skilpadde
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

User avatar

Joined: 7 Dec 2008
Age: 42
Gender: Female
Posts: 26,803
Location: Galar

21 May 2019, 11:34 pm

Well, if it's okay to mention those (they were the first to come to mind, but I didn't know if that would be accepted), then I've never read a single religious book or scripture nor a New Age one that was worth my time.
Some might be funny for their sheer awfulness, but that's about it.


_________________
"And the turtles, of course...all the turtles are free, as turtles and, maybe, all creatures should be." -Dr. Seuss


The tiger and the lion may be more powerful....

...but the Wolf does not perform in the circus.


PurpleReject
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

User avatar

Joined: 13 May 2019
Age: 30
Gender: Male
Posts: 209
Location: California

22 May 2019, 12:36 am

I have a feeling some people would say "The Bible" out of irony or personal dislike for religion, but even if you were a raging atheist you would be pretty foolish to ignore its merits as literature, as poetry and especially its immeasurable and unparalleled influence on the arts. Even Richard Dawkins and Christopher Hitchens have praised it as great literature. Unsurprisingly, people are quick to both praise it and condemn it without actually reading it, and I take issue with both sides.

I can't honestly say every bit of the Bible is amazing - with at least 66 books by different authors (depending on which Bible) it inevitably varies; the lists of laws and genealogical records could be skipped entirely - but most of the prose and poetry are fascinating reads, no matter which angle you choose to look at them. I mean, for a book which literally shaped the entire English language, it's a decent bet there's some writing of acceptable quality. Granted, it's a difficult book to read; I read someone once compare it to reading Tolkien's 'The Silmarillion'. It's easier to digest in separate chunks rather than reading front to back.

I know this is a thread on books you hate, but as the conversation was starting to slip in that direction, I thought I'd offer that slight rebuttal. I've honestly never seen an earnest critique of the Bible which didn't end up turning into a rant about Christianity and religion in general, much less from people who've actually read the whole thing. Not that I have a problem with atheists or anti-theists, but if you're gonna bash a book - and alternately, if you're an evangelical who's going to aggressively praise and enforce the contents of the same book - you better have actually read the darn thing first.



Twilightprincess
Veteran
Veteran

Joined: 28 Sep 2016
Age: 35
Gender: Female
Posts: 4,379

22 May 2019, 8:34 am

PurpleReject wrote:
I have a feeling some people would say "The Bible" out of irony or personal dislike for religion, but even if you were a raging atheist you would be pretty foolish to ignore its merits as literature, as poetry and especially its immeasurable and unparalleled influence on the arts. Even Richard Dawkins and Christopher Hitchens have praised it as great literature. Unsurprisingly, people are quick to both praise it and condemn it without actually reading it, and I take issue with both sides.

I can't honestly say every bit of the Bible is amazing - with at least 66 books by different authors (depending on which Bible) it inevitably varies; the lists of laws and genealogical records could be skipped entirely - but most of the prose and poetry are fascinating reads, no matter which angle you choose to look at them. I mean, for a book which literally shaped the entire English language, it's a decent bet there's some writing of acceptable quality. Granted, it's a difficult book to read; I read someone once compare it to reading Tolkien's 'The Silmarillion'. It's easier to digest in separate chunks rather than reading front to back.

I know this is a thread on books you hate, but as the conversation was starting to slip in that direction, I thought I'd offer that slight rebuttal. I've honestly never seen an earnest critique of the Bible which didn't end up turning into a rant about Christianity and religion in general, much less from people who've actually read the whole thing. Not that I have a problem with atheists or anti-theists, but if you're gonna bash a book - and alternately, if you're an evangelical who's going to aggressively praise and enforce the contents of the same book - you better have actually read the darn thing first.


In my post, I was referring to religious books based on the Bible, not the Bible itself. I should cite some of the funny, bizarre, and troubling things I’ve read in some of them one of these days.

My thoughts about the Bible are too complex to adequately address here.
Overall, I, personally, wish it had never been written. That’s not to say that parts of it don’t have literary merit or that it doesn’t do good things for some people, though.



kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 4 Feb 2014
Gender: Male
Posts: 64,859
Location: Queens, NYC

22 May 2019, 8:41 am

The Bible was written in a certain time. It must be remembered that it was a reflection of that time.

Obviously, it was biased towards the Yahweh religion of the Levant in the Old Testament....and the followers of Jesus of Nazareth in the New Testament. From an objective standpoint, it was a work of propaganda "propagating" such things as the "word of God" and the divinity of Jesus Christ.

It wouldn't have made sense for the compilers of the Bible to promulgate something based upon objective, scientific evidence. They wanted to promote the greatness of the "one true religion." And of the primacy of monotheism over the "primitive" polytheism which sinfully worshipped "idols."

It was a multifarious work making use of many genres of literature, mythology, and history.



Twilightprincess
Veteran
Veteran

Joined: 28 Sep 2016
Age: 35
Gender: Female
Posts: 4,379

22 May 2019, 8:46 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
The Bible was written in a certain time. It must be remembered that it was a reflection of that time.

Obviously, it was biased towards the Yahweh religion of the Levant in the Old Testament....and the followers of Jesus of Nazareth in the New Testament. From an objective standpoint, it was a work of propaganda "propagating" such things as the "word of God" and the divinity of Jesus Christ.

It wouldn't have made sense for the compilers of the Bible to promulgate something based upon objective, scientific evidence. They wanted to promote the greatness of the "one true religion." And of the primacy of monotheism over the "primitive" polytheism which sinfully worshipped "idols."

It was a multifarious work making use of many genres of literature, mythology, and history.


Of course it was a product of the time period and is interesting from a historical point of view.

But it is often not read from that mindset which is what makes it so remarkably troublesome.



kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 4 Feb 2014
Gender: Male
Posts: 64,859
Location: Queens, NYC

22 May 2019, 8:47 am

People tend to use it for their own purposes......



IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 1 Nov 2017
Gender: Female
Posts: 26,073

22 May 2019, 8:51 am

I don't think Sir Anonymous was expecting a debate of The Bible's merits.

Are there other books which people haven't liked?



kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 4 Feb 2014
Gender: Male
Posts: 64,859
Location: Queens, NYC

22 May 2019, 9:12 am

I never liked Gibbons' "The Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire."

I'm not too thrilled with Plutarch, either....



Meistersinger
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 10 May 2012
Gender: Male
Posts: 3,716
Location: Beautiful(?) West Manchester Township PA

22 May 2019, 9:22 am

Anything by Flannery O’Connor. I took a contemporary literature course in high school my senior year (only because I had 5 study halls in a row in the morning my first semester every freaking day of the week) in order to relieve the boredom. I should have kept the study halls...

Then there’s the bane of all music majors in college: Donald J. Grout’s A History of Western Music. I, of course, was the weird one: I read the entire tome in 1 sitting (yes, just as a former music teacher from high school told me: I’m a glutton for punishment.)


_________________
I'm back, for the time being. Any one who even attempts to rip me a new rear end because of my opinions will find themselves reported to administration. Anyone on my Foes list that replies to my posts will automatically be reported for harassment. You have been warned.