Page 1 of 2 [ 31 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

16 May 2019, 8:07 pm

I learned that Samantha Bee is a world-class sex-ed teacher! (Warning: F-bombs in video.)

To summarize:

• Women don't know they're pregnant the moment it happens -- they cannot determine if they are pregnant immediately after sex.

• The most sensitive pregnancy tests cannot detect pregnancy until 8 or more days after the most recent sex has occurred.

• When a doctor says that a woman is six weeks pregnant, it doesn't mean that she's been pregnant for six weeks, it means that she is pregnant six weeks after the beginning of her last menstrual period, which can occur up to five weeks before conception.

• Re-implanting ectopic pregnancies is impossible. Ectopic pregnancies are almost never viable, and they are very dangerous -- often deadly -- to both the mother and the fetus.

• An abortion cannot occur at or after the moment of birth. That would be murder (e.g., infanticide). A "late-term abortion" happens during the 21st to 24th week of pregnancy, and only 1.3% of all abortions occur at or after 21 weeks of gestation.

• Birth-control pills and morning-after pills are NOT abortion pills. Birth-control pills contain a hormone that prevents a woman from ovulating. Morning-after pills contain hormones that prevent fertilization and implantation, and do not induce abortions.

If she didn't give <an f-bomb> for anybody else's opinion, I would thank her profusely for this video.

:D

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

17 May 2019, 2:43 am

Thanx for posting. Kinda funny but very informative. I knew maybe half that. I'm surprised Bernie Sanders got it wrong. I really thought he had more common sense than that but I guess he's getting too old & too worn out from standing up to Trump & Mitch

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

17 May 2019, 4:10 am

Okay, is this the infamous US (un)education or is she just making laugh on idiocy of the senators?
Because the only things she said that I didn't already know were the policies and quotes from the senators.
Okay, I expect someone might me unfamiliar with the convention of pregnancy weeks... but the rest - don't you have biology in high school?

<not moderating PPR stuff concerning East Europe>

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

17 May 2019, 6:11 am

magz wrote:
Okay, is this the infamous US (un)education or is she just making laugh on idiocy of the senators?
It's the Uneducation in my case. My sex ed class was a joke & we didn't talk about this stuff in my biology class. I don't know if the biology 2 class talked about this or not cuz I didn't take it, I barely passed biology 1.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

17 May 2019, 6:50 am

Fnord wrote:
• When a doctor says that a woman is six weeks pregnant, it doesn't mean that she's been pregnant for six weeks, it means that she is pregnant six weeks after the beginning of her last menstrual period, which can occur up to five weeks before conception.

Some women have highly irregular menstrual periods. In such cases, doctors usually use ultrasounds to see how far along the baby is. Before 12 weeks, a baby’s development is very easy to precisely date by ultrasound. After that, there’s more variation.

When I was pregnant, I thought I could’ve been 3 months, but the ultrasound showed that I was actually 8 weeks and 3 days. He looked like a peanut.

SaveFerris
Veteran
Veteran

17 May 2019, 7:30 am

My GF would be dead if it wasn't for an abortion ( ectopic pregnancy).

These abortion laws are going to take America back to the times of back street abortions ( which still happen :( ) and women are either going to risk their lives or go on vacation abortions.

It's happening the UK today ( Northern Island ) , the laws are harsher than in Alabama.

These are last year facts but 342 women and girls – including at least one 12-year-old – traveled from Northern Island to England for a termination in 1 month.

WTF is wrong with the world :roll:

Hypocrisy is the greatest luxury. Raise the double standard

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

17 May 2019, 7:39 am

Is there a place in the world where abortion in case of ectopic pregnancy is banned?

SaveFerris
Veteran
Veteran

17 May 2019, 7:54 am

magz wrote:
Is there a place in the world where abortion in case of ectopic pregnancy is banned?

It could be BS as I didn't cross reference the facts but I read that some reproductive health experts say the law ( Georgia ) would prevent the standard medical practice of terminating an ectopic pregnancy early to prevent harm to the woman.

Hypocrisy is the greatest luxury. Raise the double standard

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

17 May 2019, 8:40 am

magz wrote:
Both.
magz wrote:
Okay, I expect someone might me unfamiliar with the convention of pregnancy weeks... but the rest - don't you have biology in high school?
Back in the day (mid-1970s), Biology consisted mainly of Anatomy, Taxonomy, Cellular Processes, and dissection of small animals. We had 1 week of "Reproductive Biology" that focused mostly on how farm animals reproduced, with a few short comments related to human anatomy. Anything specific about human reproductive processes were left up to us (e.g., "Go look it up in the library").

Sure, I learned about luteinizing hormones, the placental barrier, and the internal arrangement of the female reproductive system, and my dad's hidden prons collection taught me the external features, but nothing prepared me for experiencing the actual process (mostly second-hand, of course).

So, many of those gray-haired senators are at least as old as I, and they likely had the same kind of educational experience -- which taught us males that anything to do with the female aspect of reproduction was either (1) none of our business, or (2) too disgusting to talk about.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

17 May 2019, 8:51 am

Then I think sex ed for senators is an excellent idea.
And for non-senators.
Really, knowledge how it works makes you able to do better decisions regardless of your political / ideological views.

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

17 May 2019, 8:57 am

Various religious groups are against aborting for any reason.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

17 May 2019, 9:01 am

Twilightprincess wrote:
The same religious groups, no doubt, which dictate that women shall not receive education beyond the age of 18, but should instead prepare themselves for a lifetime of drudgery and servitude to their husbands, the church, and God (in that order).

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

17 May 2019, 9:07 am

Fnord wrote:
Twilightprincess wrote:
The same religious groups, no doubt, which dictate that women shall not receive education beyond the age of 18, but should instead prepare themselves for a lifetime of drudgery and servitude to their husbands, the church, and God (in that order).

Indeed!

I sat through a talk once where the guy went on a tirade against birth control pills. Somehow birth control pills are everything that’s wrong with the world today.

He was saying the sort of stuff that I think up in a satirical fashion when I’m bored.

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

17 May 2019, 9:16 am

Fnord wrote:
Twilightprincess wrote:

Catholics in Poland are against abortions but they don't mind education of women (and men, too).

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

17 May 2019, 9:18 am

Twilightprincess wrote:
I sat through a talk once where the guy went on a tirade against birth control pills. Somehow birth control pills are everything that’s wrong with the world today...
D'you mean about how the BCP allowed women to choose when and if they would have children, and thus free them to pursue other interests outside the home, including lucrative careers of their own, which would also enable them to live independently of men and not have to submit to the "King of His Castle" and defer to his decisions in all matters, instead of thinking for themselves, making their own decisions, and leaving men out in the cold?

The biggest complaints that fundies have against the BCP is that it grants women autonomy over their own bodies, and eventually their own lives, without the need of male protection and support. To those fundies, without men to control them, women will run wild, live dangerously, engage in immorality, and use their economic and social influence to disrupt and tear down the male-dominated patriarchy.

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

17 May 2019, 9:33 am

Fnord wrote:
Twilightprincess wrote:
I sat through a talk once where the guy went on a tirade against birth control pills. Somehow birth control pills are everything that’s wrong with the world today...
D'you mean about how the BCP allowed women to choose when and if they would have children, and thus free them to pursue other interests outside the home, including lucrative careers of their own, which would also enable them to live independently of men and not have to submit to the "King of His Castle" and defer to his decisions in all matters, instead of thinking for themselves, making their own decisions, and leaving men out in the cold?

The biggest complaints that fundies have against the BCP is that it grants women autonomy over their own bodies, and eventually their own lives, without the need of male protection and support. To those fundies, without men to control them, women will run wild, live dangerously, engage in immorality, and use their economic and social influence to disrupt and tear down the male-dominated patriarchy.

Yes! Women are supposed to stay at home, clean the house, and defer to the only person in the family of consequence.

Sometimes when a talk would get too offensive I tried to not listen too closely. I didn’t want to run the risk of doing something extreme like throw a chair. LOL

During a talk when a speaker emphasized that people should only separate for abuse if it was “extreme physical abuse” that was to the point of putting a spouse’s life in danger, I felt rather sick and tried not to listen to much of it.

Whew! I’m probably talking too much about religion on here!