Page 2 of 4 [ 52 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

17 May 2019, 7:11 pm

I have very mild autism, so I think of it as a very mild disability, but when it’s combined with my comorbids, it’s pretty disabling.

Benjamin the Donkey
Veteran
Veteran

17 May 2019, 7:27 pm

Arganger wrote:
Joe90 wrote:
Yes because most people on the spectrum say we couldn't run an all-autistic people society. If autism were just a 'difference' then we all would be just as capable as NTs to run a society, in a different but still functional way. But as most autistics feel that a society ran by autistics for autistics will be impossible, then that proves that autism is a disability.

I don't think an all NT society would do great either. Any world needs diversity to grow.

And just look at the majority-NT world we actually have! Poverty, repression, war, impending climate disaster.... Not exactly a utopia.

Arganger
Veteran
Veteran

17 May 2019, 7:29 pm

Benjamin the Donkey wrote:
Arganger wrote:
Joe90 wrote:
Yes because most people on the spectrum say we couldn't run an all-autistic people society. If autism were just a 'difference' then we all would be just as capable as NTs to run a society, in a different but still functional way. But as most autistics feel that a society ran by autistics for autistics will be impossible, then that proves that autism is a disability.

I don't think an all NT society would do great either. Any world needs diversity to grow.

And just look at the majority-NT world we actually have! Poverty, repression, war, impending climate disaster.... Not exactly a utopia.

exactly.
Not a fan of earth

Suspected; PTSD (Treated, as my counselor did notice), possible PCOS, PMDD, Learning disabilities (Sure of it, unknown what they are), possibly something wrong with immune system (Sick about as much as I'm not) Possible EDS- hyper mobility type (Will be getting tested, suggested by doctor) dysautonomia

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

17 May 2019, 8:03 pm

Fnord wrote:
For some, autism is a disability; for others, it's an inconvenience; for still others, it's just something they have to deal with, like color blindness or tone deafness.

If a person can't work and/or needs constant care, then autism is definitely a disability.

Well said.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

17 May 2019, 8:06 pm

I've been a clerk for 38 years. No promotion, even though I know more than just about everybody there.

I feel like my autism is a disability because if I wasn't autistic, I would have at least been a supervisor at this point.

SaveFerris
Veteran
Veteran

17 May 2019, 8:11 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
I've been a clerk for 38 years. No promotion, even though I know more than just about everybody there.

I feel like my autism is a disability because if I wasn't autistic, I would have at least been a supervisor at this point.

Chron wrote:
If you have been passed over for a promotion for which you believe you were eligible and you suspect discrimination, you may have a case against your employer.

Hypocrisy is the greatest luxury. Raise the double standard

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

17 May 2019, 8:14 pm

It's okay. I'm retiring in 3 1/2 years anyway.

It's my fault, to be honest. I have a tendency to meow in the halls. I was written up because of this about 25 years ago LOL

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

17 May 2019, 8:21 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
It's okay. I'm retiring in 3 1/2 years anyway.

It's my fault, to be honest. I have a tendency to meow in the halls. I was written up because of this about 25 years ago LOL

I don’t find meowing as satisfying as bird noises or sometimes extremely annoying vocal exercises I learned in voice lessons.

If it’s been 25 years since you’ve been written up, they should be over it by now.

Magna
Veteran
Veteran

17 May 2019, 8:28 pm

I'm not the originator of this saying, and I've read or heard it said by more than one person, but I agree with it 100%: I'm not affected by autism in the least when I'm alone in my own environment. I feel completely "normal". I find that very interesting.

breaks0
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

17 May 2019, 8:31 pm

Antax: The US government (at least most of it) considers it a disability and you can (in some places at least) get services govt support and other things b/c of it which is all that really matters to me. And yes I agree I at least would prefer to have an NT brain.

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

17 May 2019, 8:50 pm

In textbooks and majority's opinion: Yes.

In my opinion: Either. It can be a matter of when and why than a flat-out yes/no.
What, as much as the majority exists, should those that don't be ignored?

What I truly consider a disability? Human limitations. Always have, and always will be.
Be it the individual cannot handle autism itself and have a disability out of it for any reason or circumstance, or that individuals and society cannot/refuse to handle autistic individuals for whatever reasons or circumstance.

In my own case though? All I need is a better EF. No need to get rid of autism. Autism is just a weight for me to carry as much as any who does.
But to able to afford it's weight and the willingness to carry the weight is another story.

Lose more time here - Updates at least once a week.

IstominFan
Veteran
Veteran

17 May 2019, 9:56 pm

I don't consider myself disabled, as my level of functioning has improved quite a lot in the past six years. I find anxiety and panic attacks very disabling when they happen.

Claradoon
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

17 May 2019, 10:23 pm

I don't think it's a disability; I think it's a minority.
But society is such that we are not included.

The Grand Inquisitor
Veteran
Veteran

18 May 2019, 12:42 am

To establish whether or not autism is a disability, we must first determine what it means to have a disability.

Disability - 1. a physical or mental condition that limits a person's movements, senses, or activities.

2. a disadvantage or handicap, especially one imposed or recognized by the law.

3. any continuing condition that restricts everyday activities.

Under all of these definitions, people on the low-functioning end have a disability, but for people on the higher-functioning end it's not as clear-cut.

1. At very least you could argue that those with hyposensitivity and hypersensitivity have limits on their senses. You could also make the case that executive functioning issues and deficits in social skills limit one's activities. So under this definition, autism would be a disability unless you lack sensory issues, executive functioning issues and issues with social skills.

2. Considering that having poor social skills is a major disadvantage, and autistic people are grossly overrepresented In unemployment statistics, under this definition Autism would have to be a disability.

3. You could really make the case either way. Depends on the individual for this definition.

The Grand Inquisitor
Veteran
Veteran

18 May 2019, 12:47 am

Claradoon wrote:
I don't think it's a disability; I think it's a minority.
But society is such that we are not included.

I think for autistic people to not be disadvantaged at all in society, it would have to be set up in such a way that level of social competence doesn't matter, in the same way that for blind people not to be disadvantaged in society, everybody would need to wear blindfolds 24/7.

Mona Pereth
Veteran
Veteran

18 May 2019, 4:03 am

breaks0 wrote:
Antax: The US government (at least most of it) considers it a disability and you can (in some places at least) get services govt support and other things b/c of it which is all that really matters to me.

Here in the U.S.A. at least, those government services aren't available to just anyone diagnosed with autism, especially as an adult. Only those with documented sufficient lifelong problems with "adaptive functioning" are eligible.

I'm not eligible for either SSI or NY State's OPWDD services, for example, because, although I recently received an ASD diagnosis and was told there's no question that I qualify for that diagnosis, I score too high on a test of "adaptive functioning." I wouldn't have expected to be eligible for these benefits anyway, because, although I am under-employed, I HAVE managed to hold down jobs for good long periods of time.

breaks0 wrote:
And yes I agree I at least would prefer to have an NT brain.

Of course, whether you like the idea or not, such a brain transplant ain't happening. And the search for a "cure," whether you like the idea or not, has turned out to be a bottomless rabbit hole. It appears that ASD isn't just one condition but a heterogeneous category of MANY distinct though similarly-manifesting neurological conditions, with many different genetic causes, including unpredictable new mutations as well as inherited genes.

That being the case, we are best off accepting ourselves and working together (hopefully with help from some autistic-friendly NT's) to build a world where we can put to good use whatever strengths and talents we may have.