No posts yet about the Australian election?

Page 1 of 2 [ 30 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Darmok
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2019, 6:49 pm

It's amazing how Putin keeps winning all these elections, isn't it?

There Are Four Lights!

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2019, 8:13 pm

Darmok wrote:
It's amazing how Putin keeps winning all these elections, isn't it?

Not really.
Doesn't he just kill the opposition off? 8O

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2019, 8:18 pm

1stSauce wrote:
I'm disappointed but not surprised by the result - Labor had the right ideas but the wrong leader. It was all too much, too soon

Beg to disagree.
It was a combination of factors why the left lost.
Most commentators, some from the left, admitted the policies were too much to the left.
Some Labor heavies are advocating a policy shift to the centre.
There will be a Labor policy change away from the politics of envy, so it seems.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2019, 8:26 pm

LoveNotHate wrote:
Just like Trump

He promised a $1,080 per person or $2,160 per household tax cut per year.
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-05-20/ ... t/11132046

Looks like it can't happen this financial year because of bureaucratic issues.
There may be a rebate next financial year.
I can't imagine Scott Morrison would renege on a central policy right from the getgo.
I'll bet your testicles on that. :mrgreen:

Mikah
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2019, 8:42 pm

I'm not sure why everyone is so excited about it. I've seen nothing to suggest that the winners are actually on the Right. They look to be box standard modern "Conservatives" - that is - not very conservative at all. A lot of talk; too much pandering to the media and political opponents; no hard line policies about anything, no balls. I expect nothing but politically treading water until the next election while the Australian nation continues to sink further into the sea.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2019, 9:01 pm

Mikah wrote:
I'm not sure why everyone is so excited about it. I've seen nothing to suggest that the winners are actually on the Right. They look to be box standard modern "Conservatives" - that is - not very conservative at all. A lot of talk; too much pandering to the media and political opponents; no hard line policies about anything, no balls. I expect nothing but politically treading water until the next election while the Australian nation continues to sink further into the sea.

It is time to be cautious.
Not the time for social experimentation.

The economic situation isn't the best and will probably get worse (a lot of it due to American/Chinese trade-wars/tensions).

The conservatives are known for economic acuity/acumen, compared to the left.
I'd rather have a conservative government in troubled economic times since "we all know" that the right tends to be more pragmatic rather than engage in economic suicidal virtue-signalling.
Australia is a puff of blue smoke in the scheme of thing in regards to climate change, after all. 8)

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

21 May 2019, 3:33 am

jimmy m wrote:
If American Democrats want a warning about the consequences of embracing the Green New Deal, look no further than Saturday’s election shocker in Australia. The opposition center-left Labor Party had led in the polls for months but lost as voters rejected its move left on taxes, spending and above all on climate change.

The ruling Liberal-National Coalition had been divided and tossed out two prime ministers during its nearly six years in power. Scott Morrison, the compromise choice as Prime Minister last year, managed to unite conservatives around a platform that stressed economic growth, tax cuts and support for the country’s energy producers.

Labor leader Bill Shorten promised to raise taxes on the “wealthy,” but his main theme was curbing climate change. Labor promised to cut carbon emissions nearly in half by 2030 compared to 2005 levels while subsidizing wind and solar. Mr. Shorten and Labor refused to support a job-producing coal mine in Queensland, and their candidates were routed in the resource-rich province.

And France's yellow vest uproar.

Source: A CLIMATE-CHANGE DRUBBING IN AUSTRALIA

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

22 May 2019, 6:24 am

“Love takes off the masks that we fear we cannot live without and know we cannot live within. I use the word "love" here not merely in the personal sense but as a state of being, or a state of grace - not in the infantile American sense of being made happy but in the tough and universal sense of quest and daring and growth.” - James Baldwin

jimmy m
Veteran
Veteran

22 May 2019, 2:21 pm

techstepgenr8tion wrote:

Good Summary.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

22 May 2019, 7:19 pm

techstepgenr8tion wrote:

God, how I dislike self-righteousness.
God, how virtual signalling turns my stomach.
Though I do like sanctimony. <sarcasm> :mrgreen:

The *far* left is showing Australia how emotionalistic they are with their baby boo boo temper tantrums. Bwahahahaha.

Indeed, we dodged a bullet here in Oz.
Heaven help us if sanctimonious, virtue-signalling, tunnel-visioned, biased emotionalists had a disproportionate say in what happens in Australia.
But then again, who wants a rational approach to government? <sarcasm>

Please, let the *far* left emigrate to New Zealand.
Don't fight for your political position here.
That just makes the coalition stronger.
Not an emotionalist approach to the erection defeat at all. <sarcasm> <chuckle>
But before you go, please pick up your dummies.
After all, they are bad for the environment. <chuckle>

(Not my words):
"We should do all we can to encourage these s**t heads to piss off and leave us alone in this magnificent country of ours."

<ponder: Too much caffeine today? Probably. :mrgreen: ;)>

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

22 May 2019, 7:31 pm

Darmok wrote:
Here's some American commentary from what would be called a mainstream conservative source. You can decide if he's got it right.

https://www.nationalreview.com/2019/05/ ... ist-ideas/
I'm not trying to be partisan, but why does The Left blame the "stupid voters" for their losses at the polls? I mean, if The Left wants to attract votes, they should first make themselves attractive to voters, amiright?

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

22 May 2019, 8:07 pm

Fnord wrote:
Darmok wrote:
Here's some American commentary from what would be called a mainstream conservative source. You can decide if he's got it right.

https://www.nationalreview.com/2019/05/ ... ist-ideas/
I'm not trying to be partisan, but why does The Left blame the "stupid voters" for their losses at the polls? I mean, if The Left wants to attract votes, they should first make themselves attractive to voters, amiright?

Sometimes I think the everybody who is not progressive is a stupid bigot is the main world view that drives “progressives” these days. Sorry about bringing the US election into a Australia thread but I can’t think of an Australian example to illustrate my point. Right now there is all sorts of talk about Biden’s increasing lead in the polls being driven by strategic voting, the idea the left realizes they are too radical for the country in order to beat Trump so they have to vote for the more moderate candidate, not the candidate who most agrees with them. Me thinks some of this strategic voting is about thinking we got to nominate an old white man because the country is racist and sexist.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

22 May 2019, 8:30 pm

Pepe wrote:
techstepgenr8tion wrote:

God, how I dislike self-righteousness.
God, how virtual signalling turns my stomach.
Though I do like sanctimony. <sarcasm> :mrgreen:

The *far* left is showing Australia how emotionalistic they are with their baby boo boo temper tantrums. Bwahahahaha.

Right? Where's the 50 Foot Claw when you need it...

“Love takes off the masks that we fear we cannot live without and know we cannot live within. I use the word "love" here not merely in the personal sense but as a state of being, or a state of grace - not in the infantile American sense of being made happy but in the tough and universal sense of quest and daring and growth.” - James Baldwin

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2019, 8:30 pm

Fnord wrote:
I'm not trying to be partisan, but why does The Left blame the "stupid voters" for their losses at the polls? I mean, if The Left wants to attract votes, they should first make themselves attractive to voters, amiright?[/color]

How else should it work in a Democracy?
Why would anyone vote for policies they don't like, agreed.

The Labor Party learnt the hard way and they are doing a major rethink in how to approach the next erection.
Anthony Norman Albanese is considered by conservative commentators as too left wing for the job, but he does satisfy the criteria of opposition leader in other areas.
<Yoda mode activated>
In he looks like he will be. :mrgreen:

Q: What sort of car does Yoda drive?
A: A Toyoda. :wink:

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2019, 8:33 pm

techstepgenr8tion wrote:

:lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

ASPartOfMe wrote:
Right now there is all sorts of talk about Biden’s increasing lead in the polls being driven by strategic voting, the idea the left realizes they are too radical for the country in order to beat Trump so they have to vote for the more moderate candidate, not the candidate who most agrees with them.

Right-wing commentators are saying that Anthony Albanese is going to have to contort himself into being more centralised, against his intrinsic political value system he has supported for around 23 years professionally.
I don't know enough about the man to agree or disagree.
I have 3 years to research him, Yay. :mrgreen: