Page 1 of 2 [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2019, 12:25 pm

Today I had a coke with a McDonald's, then after a 2-mile walk to work I really craved coke again, but because I'm trying to watch my weight, I thought I'd get a zero sugar coke. So I bought a small bottle of zero sugar coke. But whenever I read up about it, there's all different things they say about zero sugar coke, like "ordinary coke is probably less fattening than zero sugar", "zero sugar coke is loaded with bad things", "zero sugar coke can give you Alzheimer's or other health diseases", "zero sugar coke is no different to ordinary coke", etc etc. So I don't really know what to believe. As I'm drinking this zero sugar coke, I do feel less bloated than I do when drinking normal coke.

Is zero sugar coke really what it says it is? Or am I just making myself even fatter by drinking it? I do crave coke the same way smokers crave cigarettes.

Ps. Caffeine doesn't affect my sleep by the way.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2019, 12:57 pm

I don't believe drinking "zero Coke," alone, would adversely affect your weight.

Now....if you were eat an extra meal, that would be a different story.

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2019, 1:07 pm

There aren’t any calories in zero coke, so that alone would have no impact on your weight.

Some people crave junk food when they drink soda, so that would be a problem.

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2019, 1:30 pm

All I can say is my experience with any diet fizzy drinks (Actually anything with artificial sweetners) and my mothers experience. My mum has always been a little larger then average. She is not fat, but she thinks she is. She once dieted without eating anything for a month and a half and gained weight. She was swelling up and taking on waterweight. It was tracked down after my brother and I did a wrong thing which through her diet plans out of the window. The only thing she had in this month and a half was diet lemonade. As there was a 4 mile walk to the shops and she would have to carry any lemonade back up the hill.... Well. My brother and I decided the lemonade looked ever so tempting... We both poured ourselves some... and soon we had drank our way through most of the bottle... and it was the last bottle. What should we do? Aha! Idea... We replaced the lemonade we had drank with aater. Surely my mum being on a diet wouldn't notice?
Wrong! Rhe only time my brother and I ever had to run for it! Wow my mum was angry. The first time I had seen that in my mum. It was diet time abandoned for her! Well. She found out that though she went back to eating she slowly lost a little weight. And her throat (Which had been swolen) went back to normal.
Every time she felt bloated since then to now was traced to artificial sweetners which hide in so many products these days from baked beans to flavoured water... And even a very unexpected product.. (Read below).

Now many years ago I started getting swollowingnissues which I also traced part of it to artificial sweetners (I believe the other part of it is stress). What set me off was I needed teeth out and ad a four year wait before finally I had them removed. During that time to stop swelling (Which was pressurizing my head at times and distorting vision in my left eye as the swelling had gone upwards) i was using mouthwash. What I didn't catch on was it (And all other makes of mouthwash we get here in our shops) have artificial sweetners in them. I disn't even swollow any of it, but it was enough. When I found out I switched to salty water and had less issues. However I still had throat issues, but not as bad. As my sholders are up on occasions the rest I believe to be stress.

Skilpadde
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2019, 1:44 pm

I've heard that the artificial sweeteners aren't very healthy.

They can apparently mess with your neurology and they can also affect your blood sugar, so even though it won't make you fat, your body reacts as if you did drink sugar. One study even suggests that it can make it harder for the brain to know when to stop eating. Apparently they can also increase dementia and stroke risk.

Quote:
Aspartame is associated with systemic inflammation, memory problems, migraine headaches, dementia, fibromyalgia, and even depression.

from this site: https://neurogal.com/neuro-blog/2018/12 ... -the-brain

https://www.scientificamerican.com/arti ... redirect=1

https://www1.cbn.com/cbnnews/health/201 ... ke-you-fat

All that said, I'm still drinking Pepsi Max.....

love you and miss you, dear boy

Stop the wolf kills! https://www.thepetitionsite.com/takeact ... 3091429765

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2019, 2:26 pm

Skilpadde wrote:

They can apparently mess with your neurology and they can also affect your blood sugar, so even though it won't make you fat, your body reacts as if you did drink sugar. One study even suggests that it can make it harder for the brain to know when to stop eating. Apparently they can also increase dementia and stroke risk.

Quote:
Aspartame is associated with systemic inflammation, memory problems, migraine headaches, dementia, fibromyalgia, and even depression.

So I should just stick to the ordinary coke then?

To be honest I do feel less guilty after drinking the zero coke, and I don't feel as bloated. And I crave food anyway, whether I've had any artificial sweeteners or not.

BTDT
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2019, 2:44 pm

I haven't noticed a difference with either the diet or regular coke. I do have two bottles of raspberry Coke made with cane sugar that I'm saving for a hot summer day.

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2019, 2:51 pm

Try it. If you feel your body or throat swelling then quit. If not then don't worry.

Map84
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

22 May 2019, 6:45 am

Joe90 wrote:
Skilpadde wrote:

Quote:

To be honest I do feel less guilty after drinking the zero coke, and I don't feel as bloated. And I crave food anyway, whether I've had any artificial sweeteners or not.

Just to contradict some of the other posts here, I'm all in favour of sugar free coke, I lost 50lbs and it made it easier- I have a sweet tooth, instead of treats I had coke zero, with it being fizzy it also bloats the stomach and makes me feel a little less hungry. I actually wrote an email once to Pepsi, regarding Pepsi Max Cherry, thanking them for making a great product and informing them that I had gone from obese to a very healthy weight with it.

Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 88 of 200

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

22 May 2019, 6:49 am

Map84 wrote:
Joe90 wrote:
Skilpadde wrote:

Quote:

Just to contradict some of the other posts here, I'm all in favour of sugar free coke, I lost 50lbs and it made it easier- I have a sweet tooth, instead of treats I had coke zero, with it being fizzy it also bloats the stomach and makes me feel a little less hungry.

I’ve had a similar experience.

Also, my uncle has diabetes, and he drinks lots of diet soda without it affecting his blood sugar levels.

Water is healthier, of course, but diet soda is probably not going to impede one’s weight loss.

Calories in versus calories out is all that matters.

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

22 May 2019, 7:16 am

Enjoyable physical activity like going somewhere nice to walk or cycle is probably the nicest way to keep yourself in trim. The best way is to relax and enjoy. No pressure.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

22 May 2019, 3:42 pm

Quote:
Just to contradict some of the other posts here, I'm all in favour of sugar free coke, I lost 50lbs and it made it easier- I have a sweet tooth, instead of treats I had coke zero, with it being fizzy it also bloats the stomach and makes me feel a little less hungry. I actually wrote an email once to Pepsi, regarding Pepsi Max Cherry, thanking them for making a great product and informing them that I had gone from obese to a very healthy weight with it.

That's good, maybe I'll drink more zero sugar coke.
The only thing is when I first drank it the other day, I had stomachache, like my bowels were full of gas that was difficult to pass. Drinking normal coke doesn't cause this.

AlanMooresBeard
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

22 May 2019, 3:50 pm

Joe90 wrote:

The only thing is when I first drank it the other day, I had stomachache, like my bowels were full of gas that was difficult to pass. Drinking normal coke doesn't cause this.

Sounds like you might have an intolerance to some of the additives in zero sugar Coke. If I were you, I'd stick to drinking normal Coke but drink it less often. Once or twice a week for example.

Map84
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

22 May 2019, 5:02 pm

Joe90 wrote:
Quote:

Try diet or max,though it might just be coincidental :)

Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 88 of 200

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

22 May 2019, 5:39 pm

AlanMooresBeard wrote:
Joe90 wrote:

Sounds like you might have an intolerance to some of the additives in zero sugar Coke. If I were you, I'd stick to drinking normal Coke but drink it less often. Once or twice a week for example.

I was thinking that.. I get so my throat starts to close and I feel bloated when I try to take artificial sweetners and I need to take those allergy tablets beginning with C which I am "Supposed" to take often but I don't. My throat did this a little yesterday as I thought I would be ok with citrus fruit in the form of a thin wedge of watermelon. Fruit set it off as well. The problem is the tablets take ages before they work and I am only to take one a day.
Some of the symptom could also be linked to stress, as I think I am far more likely to get a reaction when I am stressed with my sholders up then if I am not. As many times I am ok with fruit or artificial sweetners as long as I don't overdo it. I get stomach acid reflux during such times. Actually as I feel so wound up inside as I type this which has nothing to do with artificial sweetners or fruit, my stomache is gurgling quite a bit! I hope I don't get acid reflux.

KikiKitty678
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

01 Jun 2019, 12:21 pm

Skilpadde wrote:

Quote:

I've heard the same, but I think it's only if you consume them all day. I'm pretty sure a can of Diet Coke a day won't hurt you, but drinking it all day long like it's water will.