Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2019, 4:47 pm

Does anyone else get thoughts that everything we write can be recorded and used against us? I don't mean on this site. I mean on any internet site?

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2019, 4:52 pm

Of course.

You can either live with it, rebel against it, or go crazy about it.

The choice is yours. Choose wisely.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

jimmy m
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2019, 5:17 pm

There is probably quite a bit of tracking going on. Most of it is from a commercial perspective. You ask a question on Goggle about something. That gets stored somewhere and the information gets sold. Then you are bombarded by emails trying to sell you on some subject related to your Internet search.

Map84
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

20 May 2019, 5:24 pm

If you're tense about the net, buy a vpn and use duckduckgo instead of Google.

Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 88 of 200

Redxk
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2019, 8:00 pm

The most common banner ad I get on WP is for joining the NRA. If they are tracking me they've done a pretty shabby job of it!

BTDT
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2019, 8:42 pm

I get a lot of a ads for buying clothes.

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

21 May 2019, 2:54 am

Umm. I tend not to notice clothing adds. Most of my clothes are old and have various holes in them and I wear them for comfort reasons. I give away some newish clothes sometimes because they either don't quite fit me or they are uncomfortable on me. I am a little fussy in this way. Hardly any of my clothes have labels as I find them irritating. (I rip them off as cutting them off leaves an even more irritating bit of material).

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

21 May 2019, 4:40 am

Advertising bots are everywhere. If you look at how many viws a thread has a lot of those views were by bots. Also if it says the site has x amount of visitors a lot of the visitors are bots.

They pick up on keywords and how many use them and how often and use that for advertising. It goes by trends or what appears to be a trend.

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

21 May 2019, 4:48 am

Something that is concerning. My mum and I started to habe a chat about a subject which is very rare I have ever talked about it. It was so random and unusual. I have never ever typed it up online or seen the subject being discussed on TV.
Then I went to go onto youtube and all the way down the list was the bery subject we had just ralked about in the living room. It was as if youtube had listened in on our private conversation (I don't have a youtube account) and decided to give me a list. How is that possible?

Map84
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

22 May 2019, 2:30 am

Mountain Goat wrote:
Something that is concerning. My mum and I started to habe a chat about a subject which is very rare I have ever talked about it. It was so random and unusual. I have never ever typed it up online or seen the subject being discussed on TV.
Then I went to go onto youtube and all the way down the list was the bery subject we had just ralked about in the living room. It was as if youtube had listened in on our private conversation (I don't have a youtube account) and decided to give me a list. How is that possible?

Youtube uses complicated algorithms, often based on what other people are watching. For all we know that topic was mentioned somewhere in the media that day, or the day before, or a related subject, which is what caused the thought and beginning of your own discussion to occur. :)

Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 88 of 200

jimmy m
Veteran
Veteran

22 May 2019, 7:34 am

And then you have the world of hacks. In the news today:

Instagram has accidentally leaked the private information of 49 million of its users including major influencers and bloggers.

A huge database containing details about celebrities, influencers and brand accounts was recently discovered online and anyone could access it.

TechCrunch traced the database back to Mumbai-based social media marketing firm Chtrbox, which has now taken the database offline.

Chtrbox is a company that pays influencers to post sponsored content on their Instagram accounts. The database contained public data taken from influencer Instagram accounts, including their bio, profile picture and their number of followers. In addition to this, it revealed their location and private contact information including email addresses and phone numbers.

Source: Instagram leak reveals 'private details' of 49 million users – including phone numbers

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

22 May 2019, 8:08 am

I, for one, approve of our intrusive overlords!

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.