Prevalence estimates indicate racial bias

Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ] 

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

21 May 2019, 2:43 am

Prevalence estimates for autism indicate bias against non-white groups

Quote:
Estimates for autism’s prevalence in three U.S. states reveal significant inequalities in how children of different races and ethnicities are counted and assessed, according to two new studies.

In Wisconsin and Colorado, black and Hispanic children are more likely than white children to lack health or residency records, which excludes them from prevalence analyses, suggests a study published in Autism1. And in New Jersey, black children are half as likely as white children to receive an autism assessment by age 3, according to unpublished work presented earlier this month at a conference.

The data for both studies come from the Autism and Developmental Disabilities Monitoring Network, a nationwide surveillance program run by the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

The program has consistently found racial and ethnic disparities in autism prevalence. Its researchers reported last year, for instance, that fewer black children than white children have been diagnosed with autism in three states, including Wisconsin, and fewer Hispanic children have been diagnosed in seven states, including Colorado2.

In the new study, Durkin and her colleagues found the reasons for these discrepancies in state records. The study exposes systemic biases in children’s access to expert care, says Sydney Pettygrove, assistant professor of epidemiology and biostatistics at the University of Arizona in Tucson, who was not involved in either study. “The way our whole system sees and treats people is based on their ethnic group,” she says.

Durkin and her colleagues revisited the records that clinical reviewers had used to gauge autism prevalence in Wisconsin and Colorado.

The reviewers generally categorize children as ‘autistic,’ ‘not autistic’ or ‘suspected case’ based on the children’s school and healthcare records. Children without healthcare records are more likely to fall into the suspected category than those with complete information, the study found. And the ultimate estimates for prevalence do not include these suspected cases.

Among children flagged for autism, 45 percent of black children and 23 percent of Hispanic children lack healthcare records, compared with 11 percent of white children. And these black and Hispanic children are significantly more likely than their white counterparts to be classified as a ‘suspected’ rather than ‘confirmed’ case of autism.

When the researchers added back a subset of suspected cases to their calculations for prevalence, the disparity between black and white children disappeared. However, the difference between Hispanic and white children remained.

Children with patchy residency records are also liable to be overlooked, Durkin says. For instance, any child who is missing proof of residency for the year she turned 8 is automatically excluded from the analysis. “It’s a very stringent requirement,” Durkin says.

This problem particularly affects Hispanic children: 44 percent of the children flagged as having autism but missing residency information are Hispanic; by comparison, Hispanic people constitute 19 percent of total autism cases in Wisconsin and Colorado.

The unpublished study adds to this picture of racial inequalities. It found that black children in New Jersey are half as likely as white children to be evaluated for autism by age 3. This assessment gap exists despite the prevalence of autism being about the same across black, Hispanic and white children in the state. And the disparity held even when the researchers controlled for sex, level of autism severity and socioeconomic status.

The discrepancy is important because children evaluated later often end up waiting longer to receive treatment, and timely treatment is among the best indicators of a good outcome for autistic children.

The large gap surprised the study’s lead investigator, given New Jersey’s reputation for equitable delivery of clinical and educational services. “I still don’t understand it,” says Walter Zahorodny, who directs the New Jersey autism study site at Rutgers New Jersey Medical School in Newark.

The difference between Hispanic and white children’s ages at early evaluation was not significant after the researchers corrected for socioeconomic status and other factors. Zahorodny’s team presented the findings at the 2019 meeting of the International Society for Autism Research in Montreal.

The new studies suggest that systemic biases affect both how researchers collect data to estimate prevalence and children’s access to services

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Redxk
Veteran
Veteran

21 May 2019, 10:25 am

I'm afraid the racial bias runs deeper than a lack of record keeping. Having worked in the school system for 15 years, I can tell you that the response to minority students' behaviors is much more likely to be passing them off as bad parenting, oppositional defiance, and/or work avoidance than the response to the behaviors of their white peers.

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

21 May 2019, 10:31 am

I remember reading a study years ago in an education class that fewer teachers were pushing for ADHD assessment in black children because they had lower behavioral expectations for black students than white. I don’t think they were in even cognizant of their biases.

It’s helpful to be aware of how insidious and pervasive prejudices can be.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

21 May 2019, 10:36 am

Anecdotally, I find that to be pretty obvious.

I have met black autistic people; but, over all, there is "bias" when it comes to assessing children. There is the tendency to label a "minority" child a troublemaker when a white child with the same "symptoms" would garner a more sympathetic "label." The intervention would probably be more sympathetic for the white child, more "disciplinary" for the "minority" child.

There are also cultural considerations. There is more stigma attached to having autism, or any other condition, within "minority" communities in the US than within white communities.

Arganger
Veteran
Veteran

21 May 2019, 10:50 am

Redxk wrote:
I'm afraid the racial bias runs deeper than a lack of record keeping. Having worked in the school system for 15 years, I can tell you that the response to minority students' behaviors is much more likely to be passing them off as bad parenting, oppositional defiance, and/or work avoidance than the response to the behaviors of their white peers.

Add to that conduct disorder and bipolar disorder, and anything that sounds scarier to others. (Never mind that ODD, CD, and others do not make the child bad either, and they still use them to try to pass the kid off as bad)

Suspected; PTSD (Treated, as my counselor did notice), possible PCOS, PMDD, Learning disabilities (Sure of it, unknown what they are), possibly something wrong with immune system (Sick about as much as I'm not) Possible EDS- hyper mobility type (Will be getting tested, suggested by doctor) dysautonomia

Antrax
Veteran
Veteran

21 May 2019, 11:32 am

No doubt there are social factors that could result in underdiagnoses of minority individuals, but is there any evidence that autism would be expected to be evenly racially distributed? Many medical conditions are not.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

21 May 2019, 11:38 am

Sickle Cell Anemia is preponderantly found in people of African descent.

Tay-Sachs Disease is almost exclusively found in people of Askenazi Jewish descent.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

21 May 2019, 11:41 am

There's a fair amount of autism in the Caribbean---amongst people of African descent. It is starting to be diagnosed more there.

There are autism societies in Jamaica and Trinidad (at least).

dyadiccounterpoint
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

21 May 2019, 9:21 pm

Antrax wrote:
No doubt there are social factors that could result in underdiagnoses of minority individuals, but is there any evidence that autism would be expected to be evenly racially distributed? Many medical conditions are not.

This resource might be relevant. It suggests that ASD could be related to certain genetic sequences that encode the Olduvai protein family and their degree of duplication.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5898792/

The research is, of course, uncertain. If it were to be true, then it would indicate that the genes responsible for ASD in Homo Sapiens would have emerged with the advancement towards modern cognition in humans, which would make all peoples susceptible to ASD expression among a percentage of their population. After that, I suppose the question is whether various groups can have possibly favored ASD expression more than others and passed on a higher susceptibility generationally.

We seldom realize, for example, that our most private thoughts and emotions are not actually our own. For we think in terms of languages and images which we did not invent, but which were given to us by our society - Alan Watts

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

22 May 2019, 8:46 am

The alleged "bias" may not be the fault of the researchers, but may actually the fault of the parents who don't have their children examined for mental disabilities -- likely because they believed that their children were just "acting out".

Also, a recent article at Alternet suggests that for certain non-white cultures, mental illness is a "White Person's Disease" and something that non-white believe simply does not happen in non-white cultures.

Source: The Problem With "Therapy is for White People" Mentality.

This article was written by D. Watkins on May 19, 2019.

I know that this idea runs counter to the SJW assertion of "White Person, Bad / Non-White Person, Good", but the article was written by a man who is black and who grew up in "The 'Hood". He describes life from a first-person POV, and not from the POV of an ivory-tower academic.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Trogluddite
Veteran
Veteran

22 May 2019, 9:24 am

^^ Yes, I believe there is much truth to that. I've lived in and around a city with a large (~20%) South Asian community for several decades, predominantly of Pakistani and Kashmiri descent, and studies of rates of mental health and developmental conditions, and access to support for them, have repeatedly shown that cultural stigmatisation is more prevalent within that community. Anecdotally, clinicians and support workers that I've spoken with, some of them from that community themselves, have reported the same thing. It is starting to be recognised more (e.g. this article from the local paper), but it can often be very difficult to discuss without triggering knee-jerk cultural sensitivities.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

22 May 2019, 9:37 am

Trogluddite wrote:
... studies of rates of mental health and developmental conditions, and access to support for them, have repeatedly shown that cultural stigmatisation is more prevalent within that community...
Coincidentally, about 50-60 years ago (and before), in central-lower Michigan, cultural stigmatization of mental illness was so prevalent in the average white community that a common belief was that only the worst sort of person had mental problems -- the morally depraved -- and that kids who nowadays would be diagnosed with ADD, ADHD, a depressive disorder, or autism were lumped together as "ret*ds" and placed in "Special Ed" classrooms, where the teachers were more concerned with keeping the students quiet than with teaching anything beyond the basics.

If a kid acted out in a Special Ed class, he or she was sent to Highfields -- a juvenile detention facility.

If the kid was really disruptive, there was always the 8th floor of Sparrow hospital -- the psych ward -- or the Ionia State Hospital, where they never to be heard from again.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

22 May 2019, 1:56 pm

Fnord wrote:
Trogluddite wrote:
... studies of rates of mental health and developmental conditions, and access to support for them, have repeatedly shown that cultural stigmatisation is more prevalent within that community...
Coincidentally, about 50-60 years ago (and before), in central-lower Michigan, cultural stigmatization of mental illness was so prevalent in the average white community that a common belief was that only the worst sort of person had mental problems -- the morally depraved -- and that kids who nowadays would be diagnosed with ADD, ADHD, a depressive disorder, or autism were lumped together as "ret*ds" and placed in "Special Ed" classrooms, where the teachers were more concerned with keeping the students quiet than with teaching anything beyond the basics.

If a kid acted out in a Special Ed class, he or she was sent to Highfields -- a juvenile detention facility.

If the kid was really disruptive, there was always the 8th floor of Sparrow hospital -- the psych ward -- or the Ionia State Hospital, where they never to be heard from again.

Pretty similar on Long Island as we have discussed but I discuss it again for the newbies. The difference being in my school district there was no special ed and if you were obviously too smart to be called ret*d you were considered a “homo”/“fa***t”. What we call LBGTQ today was considered a mental illness in the DSM until 1973 and longer by the general public which considered you a weak person and morally flawed. If they pitied you instead of targeting you, you were lucky.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman