Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

Map84
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

22 May 2019, 6:41 am

Hi, there are various light "therapy" machines on amazon etc, some are red, some are clear, but most seem to achieve some results.
I'm wondering if I could benefit as I do feel better after a little sun, also my skin heals and stops being so dry. I'm not sure which "colour" to chose, infra red, red?
Any experience would be much appreciated.
Thanks.

Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 88 of 200

jimmy m
Veteran
Veteran

22 May 2019, 11:03 am

I am by no means an expert on using light therapy for ASD symptoms. But there are a few web-links that may or not help.

The first is from the Mayo Clinic
They discuss Light Therapy for seasonal affective disorder (SAD). This is a condition that some individuals experience at very high latitudes such as in Alaska. But it also seems to have a place in treating individual suffering from jet lag, sleep disorders, dementia and for individuals changing work schedules (daytime, swing, and graveyard shift).
Light therapy

The second is from the PsychEducation.org
They discuss dawn simulators, light therapy for bipolar depression, chronotherapy for depression.
Light therapy — bipolar

The third is by WebMD
They discuss using light therapy to treat various skin conditions such as psoriasis, eczema, dermatitis, or vitiligo. This is called phototherapy.
What Is Phototherapy?

So has anyone in the Aspie/Autistic community used any forms of light therapy and did you find it effective?

Map84
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

22 May 2019, 5:00 pm

Thanks so much for the info, I'll read it carefully

Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 88 of 200

languagehopper
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

19 Jun 2019, 5:16 pm

My sister got me a SAD light for my birthday and it is wonderful. It really lifts my mood. I was really sceptical but it works. My son has one too and he also thinks it helps.