What would humanity be like without Aspies?

Page 1 of 2 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

What would a world without Aspies look like?
The same old world. 17%  17%  [ 4 ]
A better world. 4%  4%  [ 1 ]
A worse world. 79%  79%  [ 19 ]
Total votes : 24

Lone Replicant
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

22 May 2019, 12:47 pm

If, in all of humankind's history, an Aspie had never been born, how do you think the world would be today?

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

22 May 2019, 1:19 pm

I imagine that if 10 to 15 percent of all the technical and engineering types were to vanish for a day, there would be some problems, but I doubt that civilization would come to a screeching halt.

But if no one of a "nerdish" bent had ever existed, civilization might still be stuck in a pre-Renaissance culture, where religion and superstition still dominated every aspect of society, instead of just being nuisances today.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Teach51
Veteran
Veteran

22 May 2019, 2:49 pm

My personal world would be a boring and sad place without my aspie friends. The world at large would lose some of its greatest minds.

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

22 May 2019, 3:29 pm

IMO, it is hard to determine but given the ongoing prejudice against people on the spectrum (and against those associated with people on the spectrum), I would have to say I think people who love being prejudiced would be dancing in the streets in joy.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

22 May 2019, 3:45 pm

Just the same as it is now. I'm sure these high-tech gadgets would still have been invented, as not all NTs are stupid and unable to hyperfocus.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

22 May 2019, 3:46 pm

I would say, in all sincerity, that if it wasn't for Aspies (or at least Aspie-like people), the Internet as we know it wouldn't have arisen.

SoloSailor
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

22 May 2019, 7:56 pm

I think H. Sapiens would still be stuck in the stone age or worse as normies rarely- if ever- truly innovate.
To quote the late great Frank Zappa:
"Without deviation from the norm, progress is not possible."

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

22 May 2019, 8:05 pm

I don’t find what was said immediately above me to be true.

dyadiccounterpoint
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

22 May 2019, 9:33 pm

Do you ever wonder if ASD has a positive frequency-dependent relationship with the general population? Perhaps it is beneficial for the development of a cohesive society with shared cultural norms to possess mostly NT's, but to have challenges to this center arriving from neurodivergent individuals who perceive information differently, of whom a small percentage will make great contributions.

Society functions somehow. Otherwise it wouldn't still be here.

We seldom realize, for example, that our most private thoughts and emotions are not actually our own. For we think in terms of languages and images which we did not invent, but which were given to us by our society - Alan Watts

Exuvian
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2019, 9:46 pm

I could see all of those responses as being true. It depends on the person, it depends on what part of humanity. Overall I think it would be a worse world largely due to the indispensable contributions to STEM made by spectrumians.

Dear_one
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2019, 10:20 pm

Given the percentage of aspies among inventors and researchers, NTs on their own might be up to fire and flint by now.

warrier120
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2019, 9:44 am

The world's engineers and geniuses were probably autistic. Without autistic people, I think science would still advance, but it would do so at a considerably slower rate.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2019, 10:50 pm

People would still be going to the saloon every night listening to a self-playing piano because television and radio still wouldn't have been invented.

IstominFan
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2019, 9:29 am

There would be a lot more homeless kitties because there would be fewer compassionate "crazy kitty ladies" like me.

SoloSailor
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

26 May 2019, 3:16 pm

I'm not sure about that.
My dad was well into the spectrum and he fed and/or adopted any stray that wandered into the yard.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2019, 9:55 pm

It wouldn't make any difference. The number of nerdy tech savvy artistic focused etc people without autism outnumber those who have it.

I know aspies want to think they corner the market regarding those attributes, but I doubt as being a 1% minority that is the case.