What's up with all the conservatives on here?

Page 15 of 19 [ 293 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19  Next

Antrax
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2019, 2:36 pm

The problem with feminism is that it means many different things to many different people. I don't like the word "feminist" or "feminism" for that reason.

For example, if your version of feminism is that women and men should have equal rights under the law and equal opportunity to pursue their goals than I am with you. Many people who describe themselves as "feminist" do so with this definition in mind, but they tend to be quieter and drowned out by the people to whom feminism means something different.

Some people who describe themselves as "feminist" are militant misandrists. Some people who describe themselves as "feminist" believe that equality means a 50-50 ratio in everything. Some people who describe themselves as "feminists" believe in double standards that females should keep any special historical privilege they've had in the past while males should not have any special historical privilege they've had in the past.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2019, 4:59 pm

The definition of feminism has changed.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2019, 5:28 pm

League_Girl wrote:
The definition of feminism has changed.

Very unfortunately. The changing meaning and ensuing negative associations are very hurtful to the people feminism should be helping.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2019, 5:42 pm

I understand your take on it, The Walrus.

I understand the massive amount of research you did on this particular subject.

But I’m still inclined to believe there are geological forces at work, as well as CO2 emissions, and other man-made causes. The process seems to have been accelerated by the man-made agents.

The Grand Inquisitor
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2019, 6:11 pm

Magna wrote:
The Grand Inquisitor wrote:
Twilightprincess wrote:
SaveFerris wrote:
Twilightprincess wrote:
Comparing feminists to Nazis is absurd. Few feminists are radical. Most of us are peacefully pushing for positive changes.

Almost as absurd as saying if you are not a feminist you don't believe women deserve equal rights.

According to the Merriam-Webster dictionary, feminism is “the theory of the political, economic, and social equality of the sexes.”

People who aren’t feminists either have a misconception about what the word means (as is the case here) or they are bigots.

The definition of feminism I've seen is "the advocacy of women's rights on the ground of the equality of the sexes." I think that's the most fair one, as it encapsulates what feminism is all about, but also the fundamental problem with the feminist lens. This definition by default presumes that women are behind in every way when compared to men, and that men are at no disadvantages, and in 2019 that's just not the case.

I think that gender should not preclude you from pursuing whatever it Is you wish to do in this life, and I don't think you should receive poor or worse treatment based on your gender. I also don't believe that there is an overarching oppressive patriarchy in western society that keeps women down, or that men are inherently oppressing women, or that men are inherently more privileged than women, or that we should implement affirmative action in such a way as to mandate it that the most prestigious jobs have 50/50 gender representation, or that men and women making different career choices and life choices is an indication of some kind of sexism that needs to be rectified, or that women are generally paid less for identical work in identical positions with identical experience to men. So with all of that, would you consider that I classify as a feminist? Because most people wouldn't, and I wouldn't classify myself that way.

Twilightprincess wrote:
It is about women’s rights because in various ways we still don’t have the same rights as men.

In 2019, in your country or the western world at large, what rights do men have that women don't?

You've made some interesting and well presented remarks here, GI. Hopefully others will respond to you if they disagree.

I'm still having trouble with the logic stated in this thread that egalitarians such as you and I are feminists but female egalitarians aren't masculists.

That raises another point. If believing that women should have equal rights and opportunities to men makes you a feminist, then believing that men should have equal rights and opportunities to women makes you a men's rights advocate, or MRA. Most feminists I've seen dislike, and often strongly dislike, MRAs, and vice versa. So by TwilightPrincess' standards, feminists who don't also identify as MRAs are bigoted or ignorant.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2019, 6:21 pm

We ALL should have equal rights. It shouldn’t BE a feminist or MGTOW position.

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2019, 6:27 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:

Feminists do and have done very important and necessary things. I’m not sure why this is so offensive to people on here.

There is still not an equal playing field.

The Grand Inquisitor
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2019, 6:32 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:

I agree. Though I would point out that the opposite of feminist is MRA rather than MGTOW. Feminists and MRAs are looking for political and social change where MGTOWs are generally just looking to avoid women romantically and sexually, not get married or have a partner and that sort of thing. MGTOWs generally don't hold very high opinions of western women or the marriage and family court systems. There's definitely something to be said for the family court system preferencing women to the detriment of men, but I certainly don't align with MGTOWs so far as having a low opinion of women

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2019, 6:34 pm

Family court favours whoever has more money. It's not about gender.

The Grand Inquisitor
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2019, 6:37 pm

Twilightprincess wrote:
kraftiekortie wrote:

Feminists do and have done very important and necessary things. I’m not sure why this is so offensive to people on here.

Because women aren't the only gender disadvantaged by inequalities, hence, only focusing on women's issues isn't an appropriate approach. And that's what feminism does.

SaveFerris
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2019, 6:37 pm

^^ Or who has the best investigator to dig up dirt :twisted:

Hypocrisy is the greatest luxury. Raise the double standard

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2019, 6:45 pm

The Grand Inquisitor wrote:
Twilightprincess wrote:
kraftiekortie wrote:

Because women aren't the only gender disadvantaged by inequalities, hence, only focusing on women's issues isn't an appropriate approach. And that's what feminism does.

A group does need to have some focus or nothing would ever get done.

There are some very serious issues that continue to need attention, especially domestic violence and sex crimes. Men can be victims of these crimes, too, but women are still much more likely to be victimized.

A feminist group that runs our local abuse shelters welcomes male victims as well.

I just don’t have the energy to discuss this properly.

If we didn’t have feminists, women wouldn’t have the vote or various rights in marriage or the workforce.

Feminists have also worked for civil rights and rights for the LGBTQ community.

It’s about equal rights.

Last edited by TwilightPrincess on 27 May 2019, 6:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2019, 6:47 pm

Because all sex crime is committed by men?

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2019, 6:49 pm

IsabellaLinton wrote:
Because all sex crime is committed by men?

I didn’t say that, did I?

It’s much more likely to be committed by men, though.

I’m especially interested in how various cults perpetuate misogyny because that’s a big part of my story, and it’s a huge problem in America. My counselor wants me to get involved with some advocacy (perhaps eventually exit counseling), but it’s not really possible for me right now.

Antrax
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2019, 7:11 pm

Twilightprincess wrote:
kraftiekortie wrote:

What would have to happen to make you consider the playing field even?

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2019, 7:11 pm

People need to have some sort of center of focus if they want to bring about change.