Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

rhoades24
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

23 May 2019, 10:26 am

I haven't read or watched any form of political media related to autism.

Can someone gave a brief overview on what angers people on the spectrum these days when it comes to the way society and the government treat us minority? The only bad organization I've heard of and read briefly about, but am unfamiliar with, is Autism Speaks.

rhoades24
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

23 May 2019, 10:26 am

Correction. Mostly haven't read or watched. OCD with my grammar/logic. lol

Mona Pereth
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2019, 11:40 pm

It's hard to produce such a quick general overview. I would suggest that you watch this forum and see what issues come up.

In the meantime, for some relevant history, see also:

- Autism Network International: The Development of a Community and Its Culture by Jim Sinclair
- The errors — and revelations — in two major new books about autism by Ari Ne'eman (founder of the Autistic Self Advocacy Network)

breaks0
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

25 May 2019, 2:20 am

If you're interested, there's also a recent book called "The Politics of Autism".

Mona Pereth
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2019, 7:04 am

I haven't read The Politics of Autism (by Bryna Siegel) but just now dug up this review.

rhoades24
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

25 May 2019, 11:20 am

breaks0 wrote:
If you're interested, there's also a recent book called "The Politics of Autism".

Excellent response and straight forward source of info.

BlossX
Toucan
Toucan

26 May 2019, 1:51 pm

I try to update you on politics regarding my own country, which is Italy.

Here autistic people are considered "ret*d" by the majority of the NTs. Only experts of mental health and some clever people understand that being autistic doesn't mean being "ret*d".

If I go around (and people in my city know I'm autistic) they just say when I do something weird/don't reply/don't act how a normal person is supposed to act "Oh don't worry, he's just autistic" and they laugh their ass off.

Regarding politics, Movement 5 stars (which is one of the leading parties here in Italy) has its leader Giuseppe Grillo stating :" everyone nowaday says that he/she is asperger, all these asperger came out of nowhere right now and they supposedly are big philosofers/mathematicians."

So basically I would say to sum it up, in Italy we are considered some kind of "ret*d" people to be mocked and ignored. Nobody even tries to befriend you because being autistic means that on Instagram and other social media you would be discriminated by having such a "ret*d" friend.

This is personally how I feel about being autistic in Italy and how the politics depicts it at the moment.

Pure BS and anger by my side.

rhoades24
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

27 May 2019, 1:04 pm

BlossX wrote:
I try to update you on politics regarding my own country, which is Italy.

Here autistic people are considered "ret*d" by the majority of the NTs. Only experts of mental health and some clever people understand that being autistic doesn't mean being "ret*d".

If I go around (and people in my city know I'm autistic) they just say when I do something weird/don't reply/don't act how a normal person is supposed to act "Oh don't worry, he's just autistic" and they laugh their ass off.

Regarding politics, Movement 5 stars (which is one of the leading parties here in Italy) has its leader Giuseppe Grillo stating :" everyone nowaday says that he/she is asperger, all these asperger came out of nowhere right now and they supposedly are big philosofers/mathematicians."

So basically I would say to sum it up, in Italy we are considered some kind of "ret*d" people to be mocked and ignored. Nobody even tries to befriend you because being autistic means that on Instagram and other social media you would be discriminated by having such a "ret*d" friend.

This is personally how I feel about being autistic in Italy and how the politics depicts it at the moment.

Pure BS and anger by my side.

That all sucks big time! My sympathies.

But it sounds like the human race. Imp-like creatures with fragile bodies compared to rest of animals who probably should and known for manipulation and condemnation in the cruelest fashion possible to any deviations from average and most common human form (neurotypical). I have fantasies of the day when humans go extinct. Hopefully, it's done in the most visceral and cruel way imaginable.

BlossX
Toucan
Toucan

27 May 2019, 1:24 pm

Hey rhodes, I totally agree with you regarding the extinction.

My dream is waking up in a world like the beginning of 28 days later.

rhoades24
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

27 May 2019, 1:37 pm

BlossX wrote:
Hey rhodes, I totally agree with you regarding the extinction.

My dream is waking up in a world like the beginning of 28 days later.

Somedays I hope this happens and others I'm somewhat forgiving of humanity. Not today! Just anger and some irrationality thrown in there.

But like your fantasy.