Mathematic as an individual with asperger.

Page 1 of 3 [ 42 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

BlossX
Toucan
Toucan

24 May 2019, 2:29 pm

I always read/hear from AS individuals that we are supposed to be the best at Mathematic/math related subjects.

However this is not my case, I study economics in university and the only subject I struggle with is Mathematic.

This is due to the fact that it follows many rules and I don't like at all learning pre-fixed rules. I'm really not managing to pass my degree just due to math, I tend to learn it in a "mechanical way" where I learn how to do that but I don't really understand what I am doing or the purpose of it.

Is there any other individual with AS who just can't stand Math? am I a special case?

My favourite subjects are History, Politics and Economics (nothing math related, all the theories I like to study)

shortfatbalduglyman
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2019, 2:59 pm

Math is my best subject

ollychan
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2019, 5:00 am

i like math .

AnotherPerson
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

25 May 2019, 9:59 am

Maths is currently one of my worst subjects (GCSE).

BlossX
Toucan
Toucan

25 May 2019, 12:29 pm

Good to hear i'm not the only asperger in the world doing bad at math.

ollychan
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2019, 4:55 pm

i didnt understand humanities or literature as an autistic either until i worked once as a busboy in the restaurant .

ollychan
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2019, 10:04 am

viewtopic.php?t=376170

come discuss math

im using inttoductory mathematics by geoff smith

Summer_Twilight
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jun 2019, 7:35 am

Hey there, I am good at math and I love it but I am not a super genius or savant, rather, I learned math by first learning on my own and while picking up on tactics. Math is not something that you get in one semester, in fact, I recommend taking a semester or two going over everything you learned while going in to speak with the tutors on campus.

For you, math is going to have to be done in steps as well

Step 1.
Step 2.
Step 3.

Other things you can do, learn about the Pomodoro learning method

Darth Unicorn
Butterfly
Butterfly

04 Jul 2019, 3:49 pm

I am awful at math, always have been, no matter what method I try, normal teaching at school, learning it at college, at-home tutoring focused on math and extra tutoring at college with math, it just never worked out and I could never grasp the concept of most parts of math, except for the very basic parts, it just doesn't make sense. It doesn't help that I also very easily forget numbers, can't memorize them (took long enough to remember my birthday in number form and I still can't remember my phone number, have to have it written down on a piece of note paper).

Got a G in math at school GCSE's and I am pretty sure I was left ungraded in college for math cause I was that bad. Is what it is, everyone is good at different things while other subjects and things just don't work out for some.

People with Aspergers always being good at math is just a stereotype. Maybe I'll try again one day to get better at it but after all the other times failing at it I don't see why it would be any different now.

Mona Pereth
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jul 2019, 11:19 pm

ollychan wrote:
https://wrongplanet.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=376170

come discuss math

im using inttoductory mathematics by geoff smith

Out of curiosity I tried clicking on the above link, and got a page that said, "You are not authorised to read this forum." Is there some special secret forum that I have to jump through some as-yet-unknown hoops to gain access to, or was your link incorrect?

Mona Pereth
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jul 2019, 11:32 pm

BlossX wrote:
I always read/hear from AS individuals that we are supposed to be the best at Mathematic/math related subjects.

However this is not my case, I study economics in university and the only subject I struggle with is Mathematic.

Autistic people tend to have some things we are really good at and other things we are really bad at, but we vary quite a bit as to what those things are. So we are probably over-represented both among people who are exceptionally good at math and among people who are exceptionally bad at math.

BlossX wrote:
This is due to the fact that it follows many rules and I don't like at all learning pre-fixed rules. I'm really not managing to pass my degree just due to math, I tend to learn it in a "mechanical way" where I learn how to do that but I don't really understand what I am doing or the purpose of it.

That might be the biggest part of your problem. To be good at math, you need to have an intuition for it. You need to have a feel for the purpose and overall essence of what you are doing, not just learn the rules.

Are you capable of developing that intuition? I don't know, but it might be worth trying. Google various phrases like "intuitive intro math ______" (filling in the blank with the specific relevant mathematical concept you are wrestling with) and look at various tutorials including both text-based tutorials and video tutorials.

EDIT: I agree with Summer_Twilight's recommendation that you take a semester off just to catch up on math.

ConverseFan
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

16 Jul 2019, 10:09 pm

I'm ok at math, I just need more one on one time learning it. It takes me longer to learn all the concepts. It took me longer to learn long division than most people in my grade. I was in a class where my teacher had to explain how to do all the math related stuff because I didn't understand it at all while everybody else did. I regret taking that class. I thought I would do ok in accounting but I guess not. I learn differently too. I learn better with seeing things and having things explained. I don't learn well by reading how to do things.

maddogegw84
Butterfly
Butterfly

17 Jul 2019, 12:43 am

I am fine with the basic algebra stuff.

I recently went back to school, trying to finish up my Bachelor's. Wasn't getting anywhere with my degree because of the math. I barely passed Calculus I, didn't do so well in Calculus II, and did slightly better with Linear Algebra.

Would have to re-take Calculus II, and also go into Calculus IV for my Geology degree.

So, in other words, basic math I can do. Advanced math, not so much.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jul 2019, 1:15 am

i failed remedial math in high school. i took that as a sign.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

19 Jul 2019, 9:01 am

I always struggled in math but I have dyslexia, dysgraphia, & dyscalculia. They are actually fairly common comorbids with Aspergers. I can do OK in basic math using a calculator but I failed every test in algebra 1. I did OK in business math but a lot of it was word problems. I didn't always use the exact formula I was supposed to use but it didn't really matter as long as I got the right answers. I think part of my problem with algebra 1 was that I didn't see any real world applications for it. Seeing a variable used multiple times in the same problem or having multiple variables used in the same problem is just random numbers & letters to me. I might as well be translating a foreign language I don't know like Chinese or Klingon into English.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

crstlgls
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

22 May 2021, 7:44 am

I have found that I have to take the Calculus 2 times, but once I understand it, I enjoy doing it. The algebra was pretty straightforward for me, and I did well in it. I usually do better on the second try with the Calculus. I got a tutor to help me with that, but I still have 2 classes left to take and am taking 1 in the fall. I have dyslexia too, nick007. @Darth Unicorn, Khan Academy is a good way to get in practice, and it's very interactive. It's free to create a learner account, which I have. I use it to supplement what I am learning in class and get extra practice in.