Page 1 of 2 [ 31 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jul 2019, 1:06 pm

I do not know when it will be except that I'm on the list. In Britain it depends where you live as to the expected waiting times. I expect it is about a year? Maybe more?
Choose a provider? I don't think we can do that here.

SharonB
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jul 2019, 6:28 pm

Ah, pros and cons. No to little wait here, but I will PAY (high deductible insurance). It's like you are in ASD gestation.

shortfatbalduglyman
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jul 2019, 7:12 pm

Being emotional is not mutually exclusive with, autism

You can't measure how :cry: emotional :roll: you are

Sometimes I feel way too emotional

Granted,, logic is not superior to emotion

But

It would be much more convenient to be less emotional

Plenty of lil dipshits had the nerve to tell me that I was "too sensitive"

That could be correct

But

Maybe they were too calloused

Besides you don't control how sensitive you are

:cry:

:mrgreen:

Tokatekika
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

07 Oct 2019, 2:07 am

The amount of times I've been called overly sensitive and cried at many many things I don't think it's unusual

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

07 Oct 2019, 2:13 am

I don't know if it's normal but I am very sensitive and quite emotional.

My therapist says I'm a Highly Sensitive Person apart from being on the spectrum - a separate trait of me. You can check out https://www.psychologytoday.com/intl/bl ... ive-person
This mix makes me more socially adept (I do spot a lot of social cues with my sensitivity) but also more overloaded than "typical Aspie" - my main issue is not confusion but overload.

<not moderating PPR stuff concerning East Europe>

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2019, 4:48 am

bluegreenleaves wrote:
I have a working diagnosis of Asperger's and it runs in my family. However, a lot of the posts on this website seem to indicate Asperger's is defined by a lot of logic over emotion. While I do feel I can be quite logical, I consider myself more emotional and even a Highly Sensitive Person.

Does this mean I don't have Asperger's?

I am too emotional even though externally it does not look it. I have not been assessed yet.

MrsPeel
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2019, 4:51 am

Yes. I think many of us with the "Asperger type" autism (for lack of a better descriptor) are highly sensitive.
My emotions are a bit weird, though. I'm either over- or under-emotional, my emotions fluctuate between zero and ten out of ten with nothing in between.

lvpin
Veteran
Veteran

13 Oct 2019, 9:49 am

When I first got diagnosed I tried to find loads of things from other people on the spectrum and I found many said they felt emotions so strongly to the point it was overwhelming and needed to be shut down. I relate to that, always feeling very strongly about things (especially people) to the point that it can throw me into extreme highs or lows. I can feel like I'm on cloud nine or I can meltdown to the point my face is bruised from the crying. However at high levels of stress my ability to express these feelings vanishes and I become monotone and make a very limited amount of expressions. The feelings are still there though.

Sir Sensealot
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

13 Oct 2019, 4:03 pm

I was aware of being emotionally over-sensitive long before I got diagnosed with Asperger's. I also was aware early on that in many situations it's better for me to take decisions and adjust my behavior toward others based on reasoning and logic in stead of emotions. It's not always easy to do, but over the years it has become a bit easier.

lvpin
Veteran
Veteran

13 Oct 2019, 4:28 pm

Mountain Goat wrote:
I do not know when it will be except that I'm on the list. In Britain it depends where you live as to the expected waiting times. I expect it is about a year? Maybe more?
Choose a provider? I don't think we can do that here.

Yeah it usually takes a really long time here. I feel for those who have to wait the usual time. Mine was faster because of the health issues it was causing. I hope you get what you need as an answer :).

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

13 Oct 2019, 4:42 pm

SharonB wrote:
Ah, pros and cons. No to little wait here, but I will PAY (high deductible insurance). It's like you are in ASD gestation.

You mean ASD pregnancy?

Juliette
Veteran
Veteran

13 Oct 2019, 4:56 pm

bluegreenleaves wrote:
I have a working diagnosis of Asperger's and it runs in my family. However, a lot of the posts on this website seem to indicate Asperger's is defined by a lot of logic over emotion. While I do feel I can be quite logical, I consider myself more emotional and even a Highly Sensitive Person.

Does this mean I don't have Asperger's?

I feel as you do, in that I believe I am both logical, and can be a highly sensitive/emotional person in conjunction. I cannot watch the end of Moulin Rouge without tearing up, every time ... (am hopeless :lol: !) I remember when the following came out re “Asperger’s Theory Does About-Face” ... A groundbreaking study suggests people with autism-spectrum disorders such as Asperger's do not lack empathy – rather, they feel others' emotions too intensely to cope.

People with Asperger's syndrome, a high functioning form of autism, are often stereotyped as distant loners or robotic geeks. But what if what looks like coldness to the outside world is a response to being overwhelmed by emotion – an excess of empathy, not a lack of it?

Source: https://www.thestar.com/life/health_wellness/diseases_cures/2009/05/14/aspergers_theory_does_aboutface.html

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

18 Oct 2019, 6:57 am

When I had my 1st appointment with my psychiatrist she told me I had Aspergers & Borderline Personality Disorder. BPD has to do with being extremely emotional. It's also fairly common for girls on the autism spectrum to be misdiagnosed with Borderline Personality as well.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

bluegreenleaves
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

28 Oct 2019, 12:50 pm

Hi everyone!

Just thought I'd post to let you know that I've been officially diagnosed with Asperger's/High functioning autism! :)

We managed to speed the process up as my lack of social skills was affecting my friendships at university, so I had the assessment booked earlier and I got the diagnosis fairly quickly!

I'm really relieved to know this is what it was. I feel like I know myself a lot better and can finish healing.

Thank you everyone for all your replies, they were very reassuring and this website has helped me find myself a lot more :D

Agustin
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

28 Oct 2019, 1:37 pm

Ever since my earliest memories to my present day life, every intentional wrong doing anyone has done towards me has always left a 'sting' feeling in me, no matter how big or small what they did to me. This happened to me because of my ASD and they knew they would get away with it, and they did. Afterwards, I feel like a vortex of resentful emotions. I can't keep putting up with this, it's getting too much to handle.

SharonB
Veteran
Veteran

28 Oct 2019, 2:44 pm

bluegreenleaves wrote:
Just thought I'd post to let you know that I've been officially diagnosed with Asperger's/High functioning autism! :)
I'm really relieved to know this is what it was. I feel like I know myself a lot better and can finish healing.

@bluegreenleaves, congratulations!! !! !! !! ! (and understanding of the challenges) Wishing you well with this new light on your Life journey.