Page 3 of 5 [ 76 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

blazingstar
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2019, 2:29 pm

I don't know how to search for the original post, but I can guess at some of it from responses. Those of us who are more capable may not realize what goes on with less able people with autism and what life is like in such a home. Even when services are available, we are talking about psych meds and ABA. Some never get their behaviors under control. Some households are hellish to live in. Some people are not continent until later in adult life...much later than 26. What is being reported here is all within the experiences I have had working with developmental disabilities.

SaveFerris
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2019, 2:44 pm

blazingstar wrote:
I don't know how to search for the original post, but I can guess at some of it from responses. .

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=371307&p=8099884#p8099884

Hypocrisy is the greatest luxury. Raise the double standard

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2019, 4:37 pm

I wish he’d respond.

blazingstar
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2019, 5:38 pm

Thanks Ferris. The initial post does have some strangeness about it, but many of the families I know in similar situations have gotten pretty weird. I would not know a troll if it bit me. It sounds like a much younger son/brother.

That said, I have seen many strange adaptations to autism. One mother could not wear shoes in the house or her son would have a melt down, and many, many more strange things.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2019, 9:25 pm

If they're bathing him up to 14 times a day when would he have time to wear clothes anyways?

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

28 May 2019, 2:50 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
We, in the US, are very much like the above.

We are very prudish when it comes to nudity.

I believe the US culture is quite unused to nonsexual nudity, compared to continental Europe.
Breastfeeding in public is not a real issue here, mothers try not to draw attention to themselves but that's all. A toddler bathing naked on a beach would likely cause quite a commotion in the US but in Germany it's within the social norm. How about naked sauna?
It seems to me that in the US culture nudity is too strongly connected to sex to be comfortable about such things.

When I'm alone at home and it's hot, I wear my panties only. If there is someone else present, I put on some lightweight dress.

<not moderating PPR stuff concerning East Europe>

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

28 May 2019, 3:36 am

before i had a/c, in the summer months in the privacy of my own room or house i'd be wearing my birthday suit, much more comfortable sweating without clothing sticking to my skin.

PurpleReject
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

28 May 2019, 4:55 am

I've never felt entirely comfortable being 100% naked, but I've always been way too comfortable being in just my underwear. I seriously used to habitually strip down after school and just lounge about until I was in middle school and my family decided I was old enough to wear pants. :P Didn't stop me from doing it whenever I stayed at my grandparents'.

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

28 May 2019, 7:22 am

magz wrote:
kraftiekortie wrote:
We, in the US, are very much like the above.

We are very prudish when it comes to nudity.

I believe the US culture is quite unused to nonsexual nudity, compared to continental Europe.
Breastfeeding in public is not a real issue here, mothers try not to draw attention to themselves but that's all. A toddler bathing naked on a beach would likely cause quite a commotion in the US but in Germany it's within the social norm. How about naked sauna?
It seems to me that in the US culture nudity is too strongly connected to sex to be comfortable about such things.

When I'm alone at home and it's hot, I wear my panties only. If there is someone else present, I put on some lightweight dress.

I’m all for public breastfeeding, but I’d probably be uncomfortable going to visit someone’s house where an adult was entirely naked. I’d be okay if such a person was even just wearing boxer shorts.

I like nude works of art and wouldn’t be phased if there were pictures on the wall depicting nudity.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

28 May 2019, 7:26 am

People are not concerned here about toddlers being bathed naked.

Otherwise, all else is pretty true.

Breastfeeding is a right in NY State.

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

28 May 2019, 7:38 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
People are not concerned here about toddlers being bathed naked.

Otherwise, all else is pretty true.

Breastfeeding is a right in NY State.

I thought it was a right everywhere.

It makes some people uncomfortable.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

28 May 2019, 7:43 am

it's probably a right in most states. I'm not sure which states have laws against it.

It's important to emphasize that there are STATE laws and FEDERAL laws.

If one wants to know what is legal in the US, by and large they should look up the laws in individual states---the states which concern them most.

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

28 May 2019, 7:46 am

I just looked it up. It finally became legal in all states last year. That’s shocking to me.

When my son was a baby, I wouldn’t have thought I’d need to worry about it.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.usatod ... /835372002

Oops! This is way off track.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

28 May 2019, 8:22 am

I wish the OP would respond....

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

28 May 2019, 8:27 am

He won't.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

28 May 2019, 8:29 am

If he doesn't respond, we are sort of "beating a dead horse" here. Sort of wasting our time.

But I guess discussing pertinent laws is sort of useful.