Page 5 of 5 [ 76 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2019, 9:39 am

I'm thinking: uncontrolled grand mal epileptic seizures?

blazingstar
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2019, 10:41 am

^^^ Good possibility, Kortie. Also traumatic brain injury. Or injury from SIBs.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2019, 10:50 am

blazingstar wrote:
^^^ Good possibility, Kortie. Also traumatic brain injury. Or injury from SIBs.

The OP said the six brain surgeries were for head trauma sustained from SIBs.

Autism brother. wrote:
He hits himself in the head with whatever he can find.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2019, 11:05 am

blazingstar wrote:
Exactly.

Also, many persons coping with an autistic family member do get a "little" crazy. Sometimes a lot crazy. I'm not surprised that someone could not express themselves well.

People on this website, at least the ones who post, seem to be unaware of the intractable problems that arise from people with profound autism. I am not surprised that a person can injure themselves to the point that they need brain surgery. I hesitate to post this, because few will believe it, but I know a child who hit himself in the head, hard, over 40 times per minute, unless restrained or redirected in some manner. There are other behavior problems as well. But it is important to remember that many cases are WAY worse than what we experience.

I have profound autism and know of many others as well. You probably know how it is when someone is a clinic person as I call it. I've been around it my whole life both in clinics and special needs school. I have known and been around plenty of helmet kids and adults.

Usually when someone with profound autism or a parent of someone with profound autism talks about how things are I relate either from personal experience or from the experiences I am aware of. Some of what the OP wrote did not gel that way with me. But that does not necessarily mean anything.

Last edited by EzraS on 29 May 2019, 11:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2019, 11:19 am

losingit1973 wrote:
Special needs families adapt to their unique situations. They find what works and go with it. From an outsiders point of view it may look like chaos, but the childrens needs are met and the caretakers sanity remains intact. In our house sensory needs are satisfied. We have trampolines, crash mats, cubbies, balance beams, chewies, and alot of soft materials to cuddle with. Nothing but shorts (my current state) is common. It is a little crowded, but there is far less destruction than before we got all this stuff.

If it adds up for you then that's good enough for me but there are parts of what the OP wrote that I do not relate to personally. Your home set up sounds like the special needs school I attended.

I have been an easier kid along those lines and mostly just rock or twist when standing and stim and make vocalizations that aren't too loud. Except for when having ballistic meltdowns.

StarTrekker
Veteran
Veteran

30 May 2019, 12:17 am

auntblabby wrote:
as a child i had to be restrained from banging my head against the wall. no wonder i'm warped now.

I'm 26 now and still need to be restrained to prevent me from banging my head against the wall.

Thanks to Olympiadis for my fantastic avatar!

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

30 May 2019, 3:22 am

blazingstar wrote:
auntblabby wrote:
as a child i had to be restrained from banging my head against the wall. no wonder i'm warped now.

Luckily for us, it is a wonderful warp.

thank you :heart: my late father said something would piss me off and i'd start banging my head against a wall :wall: so they had to keep my crib in the middle of the room.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

30 May 2019, 3:23 am

StarTrekker wrote:
auntblabby wrote:

I'm 26 now and still need to be restrained to prevent me from banging my head against the wall.

if you don't mind, what things make you do :wall: ?

magnum233
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

31 May 2019, 7:23 am

Autism brother. wrote:
So my bro hates clothes he's 26 yrs old we don't make wear anything at home. So my question is do you let you autistic ones be naked in the home? Just for the sake of comfort?

Hi just a suggestion. It might be that hes very sensitive to the chemicals in the washing powder used for washing clothes. As an adult with aspergers i do alot of research, one of my growing interests is health and medicine. Recently i stumbled upon how to make soda ash and its potential use in cleaning as well as washing clothes. Turns out its far more powerful than your average commercial washing powder and ridiculously easy to make leaving clothes feeling extremely soft and fluffy. After 3 days they still feel fresh. Perhaps your brother? has trouble with the feeling from commercial washing powder? I do know the less chemicals in life for those on the spectrum the better. He might like the texture and feel of clothes washed with soda ash. I tend to reject things if my body tells me their bad.

Its possible to make soda ash at home but care must be taken as its somewhat caustic and breathing in the dust can be dangerous. Found its best to store it in a glass jar up high out of reach. If your bro can be talked too like if half is brain is highly intelligent the other half child like try to explain what it is showing its chemical structure and why it would be bad to touch directly on your hands without safety equipment such as rubber gloves. Also he sounds like hes a young man that loves to have fun :D Oneday he might become the next mozart you never know.

Last edited by magnum233 on 31 May 2019, 7:34 am, edited 2 times in total.

magnum233
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

31 May 2019, 7:28 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
We, in the US, are very much like the above.

We are very prudish when it comes to nudity.

Unless your waving at cars with your 3rd hand :P Im familiar with American humour haha

magnum233
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

31 May 2019, 7:29 am

auntblabby wrote:
before i had a/c, in the summer months in the privacy of my own room or house i'd be wearing my birthday suit, much more comfortable sweating without clothing sticking to my skin.

Indeed

HDLMatchette
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

14 Oct 2019, 6:48 pm

I LOVE being without clothes on, especially ones that press up against me. As for your brother, definitely let him be without clothes on as long as no one else is in the one (unless, of course, you're ok with it). Also, look and see if there are any nudist venues not far from where you live, whether it be a beach, campsite, resort, ect.