Page 9 of 10 [ 157 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jun 2019, 6:25 pm

They've probably been trying to rid of it since at least 1947.

I believe it doesn't exist in many of the urban areas.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jun 2019, 6:27 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
They've probably been trying to rid of it since at least 1947.

I believe it doesn't exist in many of the urban areas.

It's still influences marriage choices but urban/english educated Indians marry whom they want.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jun 2019, 6:29 pm

Perceived social "class" does influence marriage choices everywhere in the world.

In the US, it's very common for parents to want kids to marry either in their "social class" or above it.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jun 2019, 10:25 pm

Fnord wrote:
"When you can't refute the message, attack the messenger's character." -- Attributed to Machiavelli

Alternatively, you can state the facts. <shrug>
These are not ad hominin attacks.

BTW, look who's talking... :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:
Should I call you Mr Pot or Mr Kettle? :mrgreen:

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jun 2019, 10:37 pm

cyberdad wrote:
Pepe wrote:
You have a history of this sort of behaviour, behaviour seemingly designed to stifle free discussion.
I found your intrusion unnecessary and self-gratifying, something which should be done in the privacy of your own home. :

Actually my intention is the opposite...I want to get people to think about what they are typing. You claim my posts are an "intrusion" which means you are trying to stifle my own right to free speech on this forum??

Perhaps you should take a dose of the same medicine you are prescribing to me... :wink:

I have never stopped anyone from expressing themselves, perhaps you should practice what you preach

I'm am sorry.
I apologise.
<shame faced>

Hang on!
I most certainly do not! 8O

The whole point of my prolonged, but oh so perfectly reasoned, rant was to defend freedom of expression against weaponised PC.

My god man!
Here is a quid.
Get yourself a replacement logic chip.
The one you have is obviously faulty. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Pax. :wink:

Antrax
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jun 2019, 12:31 am

cyberdad wrote:
Antrax wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
slam_thunderhide wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
A quick perusal of history will show that white Europeans codified the concept of race around the 1500s to basically i) put themselves on the top of the racial trifle ii) justify conversion of the heathen iii) justify slavery iv) justify colonisation v) justify making up stories of manifest destiny.

Racial concepts had been codified by other groups long before that. Try the Indian caste system for instance. Or even better, try the Old Testament, which sets out various rules to prevent God's chosen people from mixing with the goyim with the promise that one day they (the Israelites) will rule over them.

re: the Indians their caste system is not based on "race", it's a class system coded on occupation - ask any Indian....

re: the eternal Jew - now lets not entertain anti-Semitic notions shall we

I let this comment slide a few pages back because correcting it is not that relevent, but since the discussion has been re-opened, racism was not needed to justify any of those things in the 1500s (you're perhaps thinking of the 1800s race scientists arguing these points, or modern racists justifying European history when frankly no justification of European history is needed).

i) put themselves on top -literally done by every conquering society ever.

ii) justify conversion of the heathen- not as universal but consistent with many religions over the years. Christians were trying to convert the conquered as far back as the 4th century and Muslims had been doing it since the inception of the religion.

iii)justify slavery -Again no justification was needed the the 16th century. Slavery was a widely accepted institution across many many cultures. It was only later as the enlightenment took hold that it was considered a barbaric practice.

iv) justify colonization- again gold and money was the only justification needed in the 16th century.

v) justify making up stories of manifest destiny- nothing new, many considered their peoples to be the special or "chosen ones"

Yeah but they;
i) Did all your points 1) through to v)
ii) They did it well (particularly good at mass killing)
iii) once colonial empire was established they tried to re-write history in a flattering light glossing over all the nasty bits

Point ii) is all that distinguishes colonial Europe from just about all other pre-industrial societies. Human history is brutal. Europe happened to have the right combination of technologies at the right time to conquer the world.

If the Chinese hadn't gone isolationist under the Ming dynasty perhaps we're talking about how China conquered and enslaved everyone and then rewrote history to be favorable to them.

Or if the Muslim forces had held onto the Iberian Penninsula and developed the sailing technology to travel all over the world, perhaps we're talking about how the Islamic faith conquered and enslaved everyone and then rewrote history to be favorable to them.

People seem to hate on European history, but its really no different from the history of the rest of the world.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jun 2019, 3:57 am

Antrax wrote:
If the Chinese hadn't gone isolationist under the Ming dynasty perhaps we're talking about how China conquered and enslaved everyone and then rewrote history to be favorable to them.

Or if the Muslim forces had held onto the Iberian Penninsula and developed the sailing technology to travel all over the world, perhaps we're talking about how the Islamic faith conquered and enslaved everyone and then rewrote history to be favorable to them.

People seem to hate on European history, but its really no different from the history of the rest of the world.

<reductionist mode on>
Agreed.
Humanity stinks. :eew:

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jun 2019, 5:08 am

Antrax wrote:
Human history is brutal. Europe happened to have the right combination of technologies at the right time to conquer the world.

Read Guns, Germs and Steel by Jared Diamond. He nicely outlines why European civilizations have survived and conquered others, while arguing against the idea that European hegemony is due to any form of European intellectual, moral, or inherent genetic superiority. Diamond argues that the gaps in power and technology between human societies originate primarily in environmental differences, which are amplified by various positive feedback loops. When cultural or genetic differences have favoured Europeans (for example, written language or the development among Europeans of resistance to endemic diseases), he asserts that these advantages occurred because of the influence of geography on societies and cultures (for example, by facilitating commerce and trade between different cultures) and were not inherent in the European genomes.

Wolfram87
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jun 2019, 5:48 am

Diamond is routinely called a racist for his book, which I find hilarious because that's a literal inversion of his argument; Europeans are not superior because they are White, but environments with climate mild enough to more easily facilitate civilization-building tend to also produce fair skin.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jun 2019, 6:19 pm

I think a useful book (which is no longer in publication) is Sir Halford Mackinder's "The geographical pivot of history". Despite being an aristocrat his insight into how geography and access to resources determined colonial empires is actually very accurate, particularly as it was published during the height of the British empire.

Antrax
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jun 2019, 8:35 pm

cyberdad wrote:
Antrax wrote:
Human history is brutal. Europe happened to have the right combination of technologies at the right time to conquer the world.

Read Guns, Germs and Steel by Jared Diamond. He nicely outlines why European civilizations have survived and conquered others, while arguing against the idea that European hegemony is due to any form of European intellectual, moral, or inherent genetic superiority. Diamond argues that the gaps in power and technology between human societies originate primarily in environmental differences, which are amplified by various positive feedback loops. [/b]

I know of Guns, Germs and Steel by reputation although have not had the opportunity to read it, and generally agree with this conclusion. Geography and luck are what so benefited Europe.

The entire old world was at an advantage relative to the new world by having a larger population and more civilization nucleation events (Egypt, Mesopotamia, and the Yangtze River valley). Europe's major advantage was developing better nautical technology as it is a continent made of islands and peninsulas with formidable land barriers and as such nautical technology was more valued there than elsewhere.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2019, 4:42 am

Antrax wrote:
The entire old world was at an advantage relative to the new world by having a larger population and more civilization nucleation events (Egypt, Mesopotamia, and the Yangtze River valley). Europe's major advantage was developing better nautical technology as it is a continent made of islands and peninsulas with formidable land barriers and as such nautical technology was more valued there than elsewhere.

It's interesting that China would have been the preeminent naval (and probably world) power had one of the emperors not decided to restrict movement of it's people and navy.

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

26 Jun 2019, 4:57 am

cyberdad wrote:
Antrax wrote:

It's interesting that China would have been the preeminent naval (and probably world) power had one of the emperors not decided to restrict movement of it's people and navy.

With this argumentation, I'm more curious why the Polynesians don't rule the world - the name "Navigator Islands" for Samoa has been fully earned by the locals.

<not moderating PPR stuff concerning East Europe>

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2019, 5:04 am

magz wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
Antrax wrote:

With this argumentation, I'm more curious why the Polynesians don't rule the world - the name "Navigator Islands" for Samoa has been fully earned by the locals.

I could say the same about the Vikings...they were pretty impressive seafarers. And like the polynesians they spread over a huge geographic area. But in the end their numbers were never large enough to mount serious warfare.

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

26 Jun 2019, 5:20 am

I sometimes wonder what would happen if the Vikings successfully colonized Vinland (North America).
Maybe it would have been better for the Americans - the colonization wouldn't be this awful extermination but rather something more similar to how Kiev Rus was established - mixing local and immigrant elements more evenly.

<not moderating PPR stuff concerning East Europe>

Antrax
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2019, 11:01 am

magz wrote:

Antrax wrote:
The entire old world was at an advantage relative to the new world by having a larger population and more civilization nucleation events (Egypt, Mesopotamia, and the Yangtze River valley).

If we assume that difficult technological innovations are largely random events (IE the invention of the wheel, which was never invented in the New World), than the more people you have the greater chance you have of making a difficult technological innovation. Of course the more technology you have the more your technological process accelerates, which is why over time you get vast technological differences between groups of people. The polynesians never had the population to make that kind of progress, and given the vast distances of the Pacific Ocean could not acquire them from East Asian cultures.

cyberdad wrote:

The Ming really screwed over China which upto the Yuan dynasty had been the world's forefront culture on technological innovation. Isolationism kills because you no longer have access to the technical innovations of other peoples.

cyberdad wrote:
I could say the same about the Vikings...they were pretty impressive seafarers. And like the polynesians they spread over a huge geographic area. But in the end their numbers were never large enough to mount serious warfare.

The Vikings may not have conquered the world, but they contributed greatly to the rest of Europe being able to do so. Their seafaring technology was adopted and improved upon by regions like England, France, Spain etc. Furthermore, Scandinavia was still in contact with those regions throughout history. It was actually the Swedes who figured out how to mass-manufacture cast-iron cannons such that they could be put on ships.