Page 4 of 4 [ 59 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Dial1194
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

15 Dec 2020, 5:10 am

Mona Pereth wrote:
The third place prize went to Yehuda Gabizon, who built a website called Remoterum, intended to help work-capable autistic people find jobs.

The website's About page describes it as "... a platform for the high professional skills of people on the autism spectrum. ... Our mission is to increase employment opportunities for people on the autism spectrum by enabling them to work as freelancers from anywhere and at any time, and to choose the environment that is convenient for them to work."

The site appears riddled with spelling, grammar, and coding errors. I've dropped them a line to see if some of them can be fixed.

Mona Pereth
Veteran
Veteran

17 Dec 2020, 9:44 pm

Dial1194 wrote:
The site appears riddled with spelling, grammar, and coding errors. I've dropped them a line to see if some of them can be fixed.

Sounds like a good idea. Volunteer to help them fix their own website. You could then use that as portfolio item when seeking jobs via the site, if you choose to do so.

Dial1194
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

28 Dec 2020, 9:06 am

Mona Pereth wrote:
You could then use that as portfolio item when seeking jobs via the site, if you choose to do so.

Ehhh... if I'm being brutally honest, I wouldn't really be comfortable looking for work through a site which appears to have so little care put into it. The sheer number and breadth of faults visible on even just a quick skim, coupled with the apparent lack of subsequent quality-checking at any point before releasing it to the public, doesn't bode well for the caliber or reliability of anything else associated with it.

I could be wrong about that, of course, but that's certainly the very first impression on visiting the site. Even just an hour or two of testing and checking beforehand could have given it a significantly more professional appearance.

Mona Pereth
Veteran
Veteran

05 Apr 2021, 10:10 am

Here is a video of a recent 60 Minutes broadcast, described on Twitter as follows:

Quote:
“Make no mistake about it, this is absolutely a business imperative,” says Ernst & Young’s U.S. chairwoman about the employees with autism who, she says, have saved the company millions of dollars by looking at problems in different ways. https://cbsn.ws/33uMlZT

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

05 Apr 2021, 4:29 pm

Where I work (cleaning and maintenance in a bus depot), I'd consider it very autism-friendly, although nobody there knows I have ASD. But I would recommend it to other autistics.

It's predictable - when you start your shift, you're very unlikely to have any surprises thrown at you that could trigger anxiety. You arrive knowing what you're doing. (At my old job, at a care home, there were certain things that made me stressed and you didn't always know what you were going to come in to each morning).

Being short-staffed isn't too stressful - being short-staffed is stressful for everyone but to an autistic person it could mean a change in task or more pressure, etc. But where I work, you can actually get the essential tasks done on your own for a day or two (obviously not every day, as other things need to get done too but it is easy to find cover for staff holidays).

Not many meetings, and if we do they are done quickly - I actually enjoy meetings but I know that a lot of autistics don't. But they don't make you speak up if you don't want to, all they care about is if you attend.

No forced overtime - some autistics find sudden flexibility stressful, and I'm no exception to this. If I have planned in advance to do overtime then I'm OK with it, but if it is put upon me on the same shift then I get stressed and feel like I just want to get home. I enjoy my current job so I don't feel like this so much, but they do respect that you have a life outside of work and usually things are done on time.

Not many people - there's only a small handful of cleaners and engineers so you know everybody's names and you get used to each other.

Same hours - all day the buses are in use so obviously there isn't any work for a cleaner to do, which is why the cleaners' shifts are evenings. So there's no chance that you'll be asked to do different hours.

However, there are a couple of downsides to where I work that don't bother me at all but might deter other autistics.

A lot of banter - you kind of have to keep up with the banter and mild teasing that goes on, and just laugh and take it all with a grain of salt, but some autistics may find this difficult. If you take things too seriously and get offended then you probably won't fit in, moreso if you're a guy.

Loud noises - some buses can emit loud noises. I'm OK with it, but there is one bus that expels air louder than any of the other buses, and sometimes it makes me anxious being near this particular bus because I start anticipating when the sudden burst of air is going to happen. But this doesn't affect me greatly.

Mona Pereth
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2022, 11:57 am

Found this article just now: 27 Companies Who Hire Adults With Autism by Jessica Miller-Merrell, Workology, Apr 12, 2016. Given the date, may be out-of-date.

Mona Pereth
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2022, 5:36 pm

I just now came across the website of Community Employment For All, a job placement and job coaching service for disabled people, based in Beachwood, Ohio (USA).

According to their Twitter profile, "CEFA provides an environment where people with different abilities can achieve & succeed in the job of their choice, while contributing to their community."

Also, they themselves currently have a job opening for a job coach.

Mona Pereth
Veteran
Veteran

13 Apr 2022, 11:25 am

Praise for one particular workplace, by an autistic employee, here on Twitter:

Quote:
Hey y'all you know how sometimes I tweet about how awesome my company @ModeAnalytics is to work for, and then I post job openings?

I specifically want to say that Mode is a place where I have felt supported and accommodated as an #ActuallyAutistic and #ADHD adult.

The company in question is Mode, based in San Francisco, CA. The above-quoted tweet was authored by a software engineer who lives in Brooklyn, NY.

shortfatbalduglyman
Veteran
Veteran

13 Apr 2022, 4:25 pm

My slave plantation is on the list of 30 best companies for autistics

It claims that my slave plantation partners with kens crew to train and employ autistic employees. Which appears much better than nothing

However almost everyone that works in the building has the same Myers Briggs personality inventory:. Extroverted and emotional

Loud music

Litterbox paw dryers (bathroom hand dryer so loud they give me headaches)

Too many recklessly driving customers

Bathrooms often out of order

Seriously though I doubt anyone in the building has ever read a book about autism

Mona Pereth
Veteran
Veteran

31 Aug 2023, 8:34 pm

5 Companies That Hire Adults With Autism by Margo Steines, Built In, Aug. 28, 2023.

The 5 companies described here are:

- Microsoft
- SAP
- Dell Technologies
- Auticon
- Ultranauts

colliegrace
Veteran
Veteran

31 Aug 2023, 9:19 pm

I guess my workplace is more autism friendly than most. I'm not the only autistic employee, and my boss has a decent understanding of autism and other mental stuff due to studying psychology in college.

I have still had to ask for further accommodations, and my boss knew I was autistic long before I did, so that fact is largely what kept me from being promoted for a long time. But I've been doing pretty well since getting promoted last year.

Also diagnosed with: seasonal depression, anxiety, OCD