Page 3 of 4 [ 59 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

SocOfAutism
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2019, 10:36 am

I feel like the problem isn’t so much that autistic people need to be recruited for more jobs, but that workplaces are not autism friendly.

An autism friendly workplace would benefit NTs and other neuro types too. Do they NEED all those meetings? Do you HAVE to have all the face to face time and groups to get something done? Productivity and comfort could easily be raised for all people with a few autism friendly modifications.

Mona Pereth
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2019, 3:45 am

One good still-small but hopefully growing trend: How remote work is quietly remaking our lives by Rani Molla, Oct 9, 2019. (Working from anywhere: the good, the bad, the lovely.)

Dial1194
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

16 Oct 2019, 7:22 am

SocOfAutism wrote:
I feel like the problem isn’t so much that autistic people need to be recruited for more jobs, but that workplaces are not autism friendly.

I wonder what an autistic-friendly job ad would be like. "No meetings, work from home at your own pace, pays exactly X amount per hour/item. Other benefits listed in full at [link]. No social club, no social events, no requirement for socializing in general. Full comprehensive instructions available for every aspect of the job. Clarification questions welcome. Union-friendly but not mandatory; more information at [other link]. No formal qualifications required. Qualifications which may assist your application include A, B, and C. Preference also given to backgrounds which include D, E, and F. All applications will be individually responded to with feedback."

Mona Pereth
Veteran
Veteran

03 Mar 2020, 9:55 am

Some recent relevant threads:

- Neurodiversity - Workplace survey
- Ideal Jobs for Aspies
- Autistic man opens coffee shop and Autistic owned coffee shop
- Barclay's in Scotland wants autistic employees
- Microsoft autism hiring (mainly but not just software engrs)
- Launching autistic-friendly freelancing platform

EDIT: Some other relevant threads:

- Best Jobs/Careers For Aspies
- freelancing work online
- Plumbers and Electricians with Aspergers

rick42
Toucan
Toucan

05 Mar 2020, 3:39 pm

The issue is that most business are not willing to create Autism Spectrum friendly work places.Sometimes because they little to nothing know about the Autism Spectrum or sometimes they do know about the Autism Spectrum,but sometimes,they simply don't care about people about Asperger/Autism, and think we incompetent. I know they are some Autism friendly work places out,but even lot of those jobs that are currently Asperger/Autistic friendly are ether minimum wage jobs(which isn't really that much better than living on SSI disability benefits financially speaking ) or computer based jobs(which is has become less Autism Spectrum friendly anyway). To be honest,I think we may have long ways to go before we get to the point where we see a significant drop in unemployment along AS/ASD community, and it may not happen within out lifetimes unfortunately.

Mona Pereth
Veteran
Veteran

06 Mar 2020, 10:08 am

rick42 wrote:
The issue is that most business are not willing to create Autism Spectrum friendly work places.Sometimes because they little to nothing know about the Autism Spectrum or sometimes they do know about the Autism Spectrum,but sometimes,they simply don't care about people about Asperger/Autism, and think we incompetent. I know they are some Autism friendly work places out,but even lot of those jobs that are currently Asperger/Autistic friendly are ether minimum wage jobs(which isn't really that much better than living on SSI disability benefits financially speaking ) or computer based jobs(which is has become less Autism Spectrum friendly anyway).

There's also a variety of decent-paying civil service jobs that some of us can obtain. Civil service has long been a refuge for unpopular minorities of all sorts. But we need civil service unions to be better informed about the needs of autistic workers. This will happen when autistic workers form groups (which could exist primarily online) sufficiently large to get the unions to pay attention.

As for computer-based jobs, it's possible for workplaces to make them autistic-friendly again. To motivate this to happen, we need a sufficiently large and visible group of autistic computer professionals.

rick42 wrote:
To be honest, I think we may have long ways to go before we get to the point where we see a significant drop in unemployment along AS/ASD community, and it may not happen within out lifetimes unfortunately.

We have a long way to go, but I think we can greatly improve things within, say, ten years, maybe even five years, if enough of us get serious about making it happen. There are probably lots of relatively well-to-do NT parents of autistic people who would love to create autistic-friendly businesses to support their offspring (and other autistic people too) if only there were enough highly visible, credible sources of good advice on how to do so.

Mona Pereth
Veteran
Veteran

07 Mar 2020, 2:24 am

Another recent relevant thread: How to Hire Your First Autistic Employees, quoting the hackermoon article How to Hire Your First Autistic Employees, January 29th, 2020.

CarrieMG14
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

17 Jun 2020, 12:46 am

I'd like an organization for autistics individuals with Masters or Ph.D.s in STEM fields for helping to match them with autism friendly research positions and managing life's daily responsibilities. I really believe autistic characteristics can be a great benefit to scientific and technological advancement but some of our most gifted cannot hold a job due to social difficulties or just being overwhelmed with life.

CarrieMG14
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

17 Jun 2020, 1:34 am

[quote="cyberdad"]t seems to me that some (though by no means all, of course) autistic people would be much better able to empathize with autistic children than any NT possibly could. And it seems to me that autistic teachers/aides/etc. should be recruited specifically for that ability, insofar as they have it. (Of course, an autistic teacher would also need to be knowledgeable about the many varieties of autism, and be familiar with the life experiences of many different autistic people, to avoid overgeneralizing from one's own experience.) On the other hand, there are other aspects of running a classroom that an NT is more likely to be able to handle better.

What do you think?

I have a hypothesis that there exists a group of people who are essentially the opposite of autistic. Autism is a spectrum, right. So imagine the opposite end of the spectrum. These people are especially good at social skills and reading people. They are really good at integrating information from all of their senses. They can quickly notice the nuances in body language from one person to the next and accurately interpret what it means, even the unique ways in which an individual autistic person processes things and expresses themselves You may have met a handful of these people in your life. They seem to understand you better than you understand yourself. They seem to instinctively know how to guide you through social situations or processing your emotions. They usually make the best therapists. They are a small percentage of what we would call neurotypical, but really they are neurologically atypical. If you imagine the spectrum is a bell curve, they are on the opposite end of a bell curve from autistics. Most people are in the middle of a bell curve, moderately good at interacting with other neurotypicals, but not naturally good at picking up on diverse ways of communicating or imagining other perspectives. I believe that our counterparts on the opposite end of the spectrum should be identified and recruited for positions working with or supporting autistic children or adults. They can get to know our quirks, figure out our needs and communicate them our neurotypical family members and colleagues. I'd like to see some research to test this hypothesis.

Mona Pereth
Veteran
Veteran

14 Oct 2020, 5:03 am

Another relevant thread: 60 minutes story on autistic employment. The relevant 60 Minutes episode is here. It features Autonomy Works, founded by Dave Friedman for the benefit of his son Matt and others.

EDIT: The Autonomy Works website also has a list of similar organizations.

Caroline20
Veteran
Veteran

04 Nov 2020, 4:28 pm

BTDT wrote:
Roses for Autism teaches workplace oriented social skills. If you want their job training you can't eat lunch by yourself.

I disagree that there are benefits of having autism. I would rather say that having autism is anything but good.

Dial1194
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

06 Nov 2020, 3:24 am

Caroline20 wrote:
I disagree that there are benefits of having autism. I would rather say that having autism is anything but good.

It's allowed me to do very well in school (at least at subjects I found interesting), and break multiple records for throughput and quality at a number of jobs I've had, which may have contributed to subsequent offers of promotion and special projects. It's reduced my living expenses in some areas and made me nearly impervious to sales pitches of all stripe. Being diagnosed even improved my social life.

Have there been downsides? Sure. But it's not been 100% bad.

Caroline20
Veteran
Veteran

01 Dec 2020, 7:08 pm

Dial1194 wrote:
It's allowed me to do very well in school (at least at subjects I found interesting), and break multiple records for throughput and quality at a number of jobs I've had, which may have contributed to subsequent offers of promotion and special projects. It's reduced my living expenses in some areas and made me nearly impervious to sales pitches of all stripe. Being diagnosed even improved my social life.

Have there been downsides? Sure. But it's not been 100% bad.

During the second semester of my eighth year, me teachers were trying to set me up to failure. I wanted to get an Honorall Award all year. Anybody is allowed to pass their classes. Special attention is cruel and abusive to me and has been impeding. Everything annoys grown-ups, especially parents and teachers.

Remote learning isn't 100% bad. Some things I dislike about remote learning opposed to in-person learning are: interferences, not having any time to talk to my friends and having to wait to talk to my friends.
Some things I dislike about in-person learning opposed to remote learning are: having to wake up early and forgetting things.

Throwawayacccounts
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

04 Dec 2020, 12:12 am

Unless if I missed it, I'm shocked workplace bullying wasn't talked about. Looking around even here workplace bullying causes a lot of problems beyond just the normal bullying itself. Because this can and tends to extend to people in power (managers and so on). It makes the autistic person worry constantly if today is the day they will lose their job. And then to top it off, it tells all the other people it's OK to bully. Even if it isn't the manager causing it, it makes the person feel less valued in life in general, and it might make it impossible to keep working at the job all together. To have the motivation and mindset to work.

Then extreme forms of stress might mentally harm the person. I believe people who are autistic are a lot more likely to experience burnout due to stress, change, or other things vs a normal person. But like a normal person, once burnout hits the person might have to spend a large chunk of time outside of the job market, or jumping from job to job due to the burnout. This being them getting fired or quitting. Now with that being said, this in itself could make the burnout far far far worse since trying to get jobs is highly stressful even for a normal person.

To be honest, I believe what is really needed is some type of UBI for those who are autistic and/or have other similar problems when it comes to a high likely of being unemployed. Like there should be a study to make sure this would work. But because economics tends to be the highest likely cause of divorce, people offing themselves, and so on. I would think this in itself is the highest likely cause of us getting stress. If we aren't 100% worried about chancing the dollar, it might help with the 9 times more likely to off ourselves vs a normal person, and it might help where more would take lower end jobs.
Of course it doesn't help when it comes to retirement, and IMO I think society itself should take care of anyone 70 or older. And maybe this would take care of that problem. But for the here and now, I would think something needs to be looked into for that. Maybe a gov backed retirement for just those who have low income jobs being you're disabled or not. Something that goes beyond SS, but doesn't cut into the person's paycheck/taxes. I doubt that along with UBI would come because where would that money come

Anyways, I think everything is good and fine to focus on making better workplaces. But there needs to be a here and now with gov. Like for most you might have 1 or 2 gov (so like in the USA you have state and federal). Where as you have a huge amount of companies that need to change. I think it would be easier to change the gov in our favor vs even a 3rd of companies out there.

Mona Pereth
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2020, 6:18 am

I just now came across the following relevant thread from last year: Sephora: Enabling a Workforce with Disabilities. Doesn't look like a very good kind of job, but we need employers of many different kinds to provide autistic-friendly workplaces.

Mona Pereth
Veteran
Veteran

15 Dec 2020, 12:18 am

Thanks to ASPartOfMe for posting here a link to the news story Israeli techies hold hackathon to innovate solutions for people with autism.

The third place prize went to Yehuda Gabizon, who built a website called Remoterum, intended to help work-capable autistic people find jobs.

The website's About page describes it as "... a platform for the high professional skills of people on the autism spectrum. ... Our mission is to increase employment opportunities for people on the autism spectrum by enabling them to work as freelancers from anywhere and at any time, and to choose the environment that is convenient for them to work."

Judging by their Services page, the kinds of job opportunities they provide are in language services (translation, etc.), QA services, graphics design, and software services. Here is their page for job-seekers.

If anyone here tries them, I would be very interested to hear how it woks out.