Workplace pet peeves - what are yours?

Page 2 of 4 [ 63 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

09 Jul 2019, 12:42 pm

Lazy slackers who constantly complain about racism when asked to do more so they get away with doing less. Then I'm expected to work harder to make up for them slacking off because I cant claim racism cuz I'm the majority race. I know racism is a major problem & I don't have a problem with most people who are minorities. Some were very good workers & I liked working with them. I just have a problem with the specific people who use the word racism as an excuse to be lazy.
Another problem with those people is that they complained I was acting like a boss whenever I asked em questions about what they were doing or not doing cuz their work affected what I did. They would tell me to do various things but the moment I asked em about what they were doing I was acting like a boss.
The joke was on them cuz I eventually outranked em & was the one in charge of the department when my supervisor & his backup weren't around. I had been doing alot to help out & working extra when allowed & my supervisors & management didn't like the way those slackers acted like bosses when my supervisors weren't around.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

kokopelli
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jul 2019, 12:49 pm

I hate it when cliques form between some of the office workers.

It's a bit like that where I am now since we only have one full time employee who is not related to the rest of us.

blackomen
Toucan
Toucan

05 Aug 2019, 8:18 am

When so many people reach out to you asking for updates on a particular project and you want to throw up after giving the exact same updates on the same project for the Nth time.

adoylelb90815
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

10 Aug 2019, 12:05 pm

Those who complain about every little thing as they would rather listen to music all day or play on their phones while the rest of us are working. Other pet peeves are when they tune out what is said in morning meetings because they ask the same stupid questions that were answered, or someone trying to start a non-work related conversation when you're focused on something that you can easily screw up if you allow yourself to be distracted.

The majority of those are usually done by one particular coworker, and it just shows that sometimes, you have to put up with idiots and annoying people because you're paid to do so. The rest of the people I work with are easy to get along with, and many of them have become friends that I wouldn't mind hanging out with outside of work.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2019, 12:53 pm

Unending lists of acronyms.

When they reinvent the wheel every year, changing procedures so that nothing can be reused.

Adding responsibilities that aren't in your job description, but never removing any.

BTDT
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2019, 1:42 pm

People who ask the same question hoping the answer will be different if they wait a week or three months.

Magna
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2019, 8:01 pm

Pettiness, drama, people who wear their emotions 'on their sleeve', fragrances, cackling and 'loud talkers', office politics, caste systems, lighting, gossip and general immaturity, people....

Last edited by Magna on 10 Aug 2019, 10:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

IstominFan
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2019, 9:04 pm

Excessive use of perfume/cologne

blackomen
Toucan
Toucan

11 Aug 2019, 9:02 am

IsabellaLinton wrote:
Unending lists of acronyms.

When they reinvent the wheel every year, changing procedures so that nothing can be reused.

Adding responsibilities that aren't in your job description, but never removing any.

Asking you to do things outside of your job description that you have 0 training/experience with and then wondering why they're getting poor results.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2019, 9:18 am

The amount of stress involved to take a day off when you're sick or shut down.

IstominFan
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2019, 9:32 am

Those frustrating days when nothing seems to go right

Knowing I'm different from others and that certain gaps will never be bridged

darkwaver
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

11 Aug 2019, 10:20 am

Being forced to work constant mandatory overtime because the company is too cheap to hire enough people. Then being told that the overtime is our fault because we aren't working fast enough.

blackomen
Toucan
Toucan

11 Aug 2019, 5:38 pm

darkwaver wrote:
Being forced to work constant mandatory overtime because the company is too cheap to hire enough people. Then being told that the overtime is our fault because we aren't working fast enough.

Hate to break it to you but you're part of the problem. If this overtime continues indefinitely into the future, your health and morale will suffer, making it even more difficult to find another job. You need to draw your line and stop working overtime regardless of what management says or else they'll think they can get away with this abuse. Firing you will mean they'll have to go through the expensive and time consuming process of finding a replacement so as long as you're doing the best job you can in the 8 hours you'll be there (and not a single minute more) then I don't see the business case for firing you.

Also take a look at this article for inspiration for dealing with this type of situation: https://code.likeagirl.io/toxic-jobs-lo ... 4650a3c28a

darkwaver
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

11 Aug 2019, 9:49 pm

Thank you for the article, blackomen. I do have the bad habit of sticking it out in toxic jobs due to low self esteem. If I refused to do the overtime I would be terminated. They have a "points" system (unplanned absences accrue points, at a certain number of points you get fired) and not doing the overtime counts as an absence. I am probably going to give notice in September, which is a shame, because the pay and benefits are good, I like my supervisor, and I'm good at the work. But the OT has gone on for too long and it is not worth ruining my health.

Magna
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2019, 10:00 pm

As far as I'm aware, provided the employer pays the required overtime at the required overtime rates they absolutely can make overtime mandatory and fire you for refusing to work the overtime.

At my current job "full time" is considered anything over 32 hours as far as benefits eligibility is concerned. If employees refused to work 40 hours and arbitrarily told the boss they would remain "full time" but would choose only to work 32 hours even though the expectation is 40 hours.....they wouldn't be working there long.

I also worked a job where during my tenure they required mandatory Saturday overtime (ie working 6 days straight week in and week out). It didn't start that way, but once they implemented it, it stayed that way until long after I decided to quit. I know that from talking to some of my former coworkers who stayed there.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

13 Aug 2019, 10:41 am

I think a lot of us on the spectrum would consider this a pet-peeve at best but can sometimes be much worse :arrow:
I dislike & sometimes hate it when I'm given mixed conflicting orders. Like one person tells me to work on one thing & another person wants me to work on something else instead. I have to stop what I'm in the middle of doing so I can do the other thing & then I have to jump back to what I was originally doing. I sometimes have to decide who & what gets priority & i have to pick which tasks to work on 1st. NTs seem to have more of a knack for this but do sometimes struggle & get frustrated by it as well. I seemed to handle this OK for the most part but it still frustrated me & even ticked me off sometimes. I tried to just deal with it as best I could without letting it show that it bothered me. It showed some but probably usually not much worse than a typical NT would show. I was the gofer guy at my 2nd job; go do this, go do that, check on everyone & report progress & things to my supervisor ect. This is some of the reason I quit my 2nd job. The head manger gave me a verbal warning for not doing something I was paged to do. A lower manger told me to do something & stay on it till it was finished. The head manger had me paged to do something else & I ignored it cuz no managers made the page. I knew what I was paged to do was a safety concern but I was almost done with the other task. The head manger did not give me a chance to explain, she just chewed me out for it so I felt like I was set up to get in trouble.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition