Page 2 of 2 [ 22 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jun 2019, 5:37 am

caThar4G wrote:
My family promised no more than temporary custody.

Has anyone here had to work to get custody back of his/her child?

Well, you can hold them to that promise. They maybe doing a good thing so don't worry too much et. Get yourself right first so you can provide a stable background. Your family maybe concerned if you move miles away as rhey want to make sure you are doinb well and your son is being looked after well.
(I am not able to know your exact circumstances but this is my guess, somif it is right don't be too hard on your family... And I hope all goes well so you have a nide base to live at and that you are able to prove to your family that you are well able to look after things so they will feel that your son will be well cared for. :) ).

caThar4G
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jun 2019, 8:36 am

Thanks.

PammyP
Butterfly
Butterfly

13 Jun 2019, 6:43 pm

IF you had to give him up ( not saying you have to ) WHY would it not be to a family member?

If adopted to a complete stranger you would probably never see him again and also family is SO much better for the child and their sense of identity etc x

Tawaki
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jun 2019, 12:27 pm

I only know about court ordered return to custody.

Usually it's you have to prove you are for so many months 1) drug/alchohol free, 2) have permanent housing, 3) gainfully employed, or 4) some sort of income coming in, 5) child care arrangement.

Do you have an attorney? All this should have been outlined before any paper work was agreed.

If you don't have an attorney, see if you can get a court appointed one. What you don't want is your brother building a case for terminating your parental rights. It's really easy to bag on a homeless, jobless mother who has other issues. Is 3 months considered "not trying hard enough"? Is a year? If nothing is in writing, talk is cheap and doesn't hold up in court.

Just make sure your rights are protected.

As for out of family adoption, and never seeing the child again. Closed adoptions almost never happen any more, unless it's an overseas adoption. Even kids being adopted from foster care have provisions written in that they can see siblings, relatives and even parents. You can have sh***y family members, and the child might do better placed outside of the family, with lots of visitation for kin. Ever state is a bit different, since adoption laws are not uniform everywhere.

Hunt around for a free legal aid clinic as ask if everything is on the up and up. Peace of mind is priceless.

Hope things turn around for you soon. :heart:

caThar4G
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jun 2019, 11:51 am

I have an attorney.

I wrote down my plan and my answer to the petition and gave it to the court too.

Tawaki
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jun 2019, 12:31 pm

caThar4G wrote:
I have an attorney.

I wrote down my plan and my answer to the petition and gave it to the court too.

This makes me happy.

I've had too many mental ill friends lose custody of their kids to other relatives. It wasn't abuse or neglect. It was single mom looking for permanent housing, while sibling with an excellent income stream rolled in, making a case they could "provide better".

Glad you got those bases covered. Hoping things are going okay for you.