Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

248RPA
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2019, 2:19 am

I’ve hated every job I’ve ever had, volunteer or paying, and never lasted long, likely because I get anxious on the job. Surely many people here have had the same problem. What have you done to cope/manage? How successful was it?

shortfatbalduglyman
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2019, 10:02 am

Counseling

Drugs

Choose a job with less anxiety

Breathe

AprilR
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2019, 3:17 pm

Drinking the night before for me.

shortfatbalduglyman
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jun 2019, 8:19 pm

Infinite recursion

The more I get anxious, the worse my performance, then fired

Anxiety

One wrong word or action and, fired

Or accusation

Gossip

Paranoid

bobaspie2015
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

07 Jun 2019, 8:42 pm

248RPA wrote:
I’ve hated every job I’ve ever had, volunteer or paying, and never lasted long, likely because I get anxious on the job. Surely many people here have had the same problem. What have you done to cope/manage? How successful was it?

Hello 248RPA,
I can so relate to what you are saying.
I am Aspie and find that I get so very anxious when I am doing a set hour job (9 to 5) simply because I am not just able to go home when I feel like I need to.
Also I find I get anxious around workmates who do not understand anything about ASD.
So I have come up with a solution that works for me.
I love driving and I love computers so put both together and my ideal career is being a taxi driver. Sure I still have to deal with people, but only for a very short time.
Hope that helps.

248RPA
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jun 2019, 1:50 am

I think the main source of anxiety for me is because the directions I’m given are often vague, and when I ask for clarification, they misunderstand me. So I’m always wondering if I’ll do something wrong and get fired.

bobaspie2015
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

08 Jun 2019, 3:58 am

248RPA wrote:
I think the main source of anxiety for me is because the directions I’m given are often vague, and when I ask for clarification, they misunderstand me. So I’m always wondering if I’ll do something wrong and get fired.

LOL,
248RPA Your the best. :lol:
As a cabbie I know all about vague directions (given to me) It does not bother me one bit as it is not I that has the 'problem' nor is it you.
Hence, you have done nothing wrong.

shortfatbalduglyman
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jun 2019, 3:24 pm

248RPA wrote:

The boss told me that she told me to do something different from what I did

She fired me

She did not take a video tape

:roll:

In case of "miscommunication", "it's your last day".

If I am wrong, I get fired

If they are wrong I get fired

Nothing happens to them

f**k

AAA, UCSF, spherion

Wespac

Great health

Bzz agent

Bart

:mrgreen:

Kalyke
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

12 Jun 2019, 8:47 pm

I totally understand. I have not fixed my situation any yet, but am starting to look for work again.

I enjoy working. I do not enjoy this money for time scheme people call "work." I like working with different people all the time because I don't really want to dive into long term relationships with anyone. I like helping people, dogs, and anyone who needs to be steered in the right direction without having to go there with them. I do not like "service" industries. I like doing stuff. I think that fixing dents in a car and buffing them out, custom welding, or any kind of gardening, or creating backyard ponds would be great jobs.

I have a Masters in teaching, but I hate the "school system."
I think a great job would be a job counselor. You help people get jobs while already having a job. They are the ones who are frustrated, not you. How to do this? Some kind of social science degree. I think it would be fun to have a psychology degree.

I am just rambling. Sorry.

Anyway. Don't be anxious about being fired. Know who your enemy is. People with Aspergers are the smarter people, not the less-smart. Play chess, not checkers.

Getting in the wrong job is asking to get fired. Like with me, I thought I could become a teacher, but the chaos, the constant distractions and noise caused me to screw it up badly. I got out of that field and figured I could use the things I learned in teaching school to "educate" people in other fields. People who were adults and would be led away by security if they tried the same garbage the kids got away with. So I went more for the field of adult and continuing education. You are still teaching, but you are teaching people who you can kick out of class.

So maybe take what you know and find a way to shift it around to make it into something that will fit you better?