Page 1 of 2 [ 30 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Bread and Roses
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

09 Jun 2019, 9:08 am

Is it just me, or does anyone else find these forums contain some of the most virulent hatred outside of explicitly far right forums??

BenderRodriguez
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jun 2019, 9:31 am

If you see posts that violate the forum's TOS, you should hit the report button or post here: https://wrongplanet.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=237032

Teach51
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jun 2019, 10:28 am

Bread and Roses wrote:
Is it just me, or does anyone else find these forums contain some of the most virulent hatred outside of explicitly far right forums??

I find most people here are exceptionally tolerant. Though some people seem to enjoy hunting homophobia these days as an obsessive vocation. :P Has it become socially unacceptable to be straight? Personally I don't care which bits people like to put where in their sexual adventures as long as it's not in my face all the time.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jun 2019, 10:36 am

Bread and Roses wrote:
It is likely just you.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jun 2019, 10:43 am

I think that in an online forum people are often more vocal about their opinions than they would be in their daily interactions with people offline, so, perhaps, homophobia could seem to be more apparent on here than it actually is.

I’m certainly more vocal on here with my various opinions on things. That’s for sure! I hate engaging in face-to-face confrontation and debates.

Last edited by TwilightPrincess on 09 Jun 2019, 10:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

Bread and Roses
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

09 Jun 2019, 10:46 am

Teach51 wrote:
I find most people here are exceptionally tolerant. Though some people seem to enjoy hunting homophobia these days as an obsessive vocation. :P Has it become socially unacceptable to be straight? Personally I don't care which bits people like to put where in their sexual adventures as long as it's not in my face all the time.

What? Where did you get "socially unacceptable to be straight" from? That does not follow in any way.

Last edited by Bread and Roses on 09 Jun 2019, 10:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

Bread and Roses
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

09 Jun 2019, 10:47 am

Twilightprincess wrote:
I think that in an online forum people are often more vocal about their opinions than they would be in their daily interactions with people offline, so, perhaps, homophobia could seem to me more apparent on here than it actually is.

I’m certainly more vocal on here with my various opinions on things. That’s for sure! I hate engaging in face-to-face confrontation and debates.

This could be. I usually avoid forums, so it would be the dissonance between IRL discussion and forum talk.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jun 2019, 10:48 am

Bread and Roses wrote:
What? Where did you get "socially unacceptable to be straight" from?
Likely from those who express or imply that being straight somehow automatically gives straight people homophobia.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jun 2019, 10:51 am

Bread and Roses wrote:
Twilightprincess wrote:
I think that in an online forum people are often more vocal about their opinions than they would be in their daily interactions with people offline, so, perhaps, homophobia could seem to me more apparent on here than it actually is.

This could be. I usually avoid forums, so it would be the dissonance between IRL discussion and forum talk.

If you are in the LGBT community, you might want to consider also joining an online community centered around that, like on Reddit. It could be a good way to release some frustration caused by any homophobia you’re exposed to.

Bread and Roses
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

09 Jun 2019, 10:52 am

Fnord wrote:
Bread and Roses wrote:
Likely from those who express or imply that being straight somehow automatically gives straight people homophobia.

Oh, FFS.

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jun 2019, 10:53 am

Fnord wrote:
Bread and Roses wrote:

I’ve never met anyone who expressed such sentiments. Of course, I live in a place that’s equivalent to the “vile Bible Belt,” so that could be a factor, I suppose.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jun 2019, 10:56 am

Twilightprincess wrote:
Fnord wrote:
Bread and Roses wrote:
I’ve never met anyone who expressed such sentiments. Of course, I live in a place that’s equivalent to the “vile Bible Belt,” so that could be a factor, I suppose.
Could be ... it’s amazing how many people declare a problem with others when the actual problem lies within themselves.

Bread and Roses
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

09 Jun 2019, 12:55 pm

Fnord wrote:
Twilightprincess wrote:
Fnord wrote:
Bread and Roses wrote:
Could be ... it’s amazing how many people declare a problem with others when the actual problem lies within themselves.

Whatever. We literally have a thread where some are literally arguing that pride exists so lgbtq+ people can sexually exploit children, but the real issue is that people think straight people are unacceptable despite literally nobody is saying this. That's the problem.... nonexistent anti-straightened. FFS.

PurpleReject
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

09 Jun 2019, 11:09 pm

Teach51 wrote:

"Has it become socially unacceptable to be neurotypical? We get it, you're autistic, do you really need so many organizations AND a pride day? Look, I don't care what's wrong with your brain, just don't rub it in our faces all the time, okay?"

Yeah, for a message board dedicated to a relentlessly marginalized and misrepresent minority, there's a whole lot of discrimination around other relentlessly marginalized and misrepresented minorities.

Teach51
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jun 2019, 4:19 am

PurpleReject wrote:
Teach51 wrote:

"Has it become socially unacceptable to be neurotypical? We get it, you're autistic, do you really need so many organizations AND a pride day? Look, I don't care what's wrong with your brain, just don't rub it in our faces all the time, okay?"

Yeah, for a message board dedicated to a relentlessly marginalized and misrepresent minority, there's a whole lot of discrimination around other relentlessly marginalized and misrepresented minorities.

Perhaps because I regard all people as equal I have missed the point? Do you think the majority of people on WP are homophobic? That's not my impression at all.

I do think that in my country gay culture has permeated the media in a massive, disproportionate way, and heaven forbid you don't like men kissing men or same sex copulation on tv 24/7, then you are labelled homophobic, when you are in fact just oversaturated by liberal thinking and the anything goes hedonistic culture of selfies and "my instant pleasure is all that matters" mentality that prevails worldwide, unrelated to sexual orientation.

I would like an honest answer: Do some gay extremists like to stir up antagonism and sensationalise gay/ trans matters, making it more difficult for these good folks to just to get on with life?

My country has just appointed an openly gay man who is married to a man with whom he has two adopted children, to be the Minister of Justice in a far right wing government. He is a right wing politician. This is a monumental achievement, to be a gay Minister of Justice in a government coalition with ultra-orthodox religious parties. It is a dream that could not ever be imagined to come true.

After his appointment there was a gay parade and he participated. Instead of being celebrated as a hero with ground -breaking progress, he was booed and heckled and forced to drop out because he is not a radical leftist. He has ascended to the echelons of the elite system and achieved the impossible. Yet the gay community stupidly rejected him for his political beliefs instead of applauding him for his courage and tenacity.
Not very tolerant of the gay community and "rightistphobic" certainly. My belief is that there are anarchist elements who have infiltrated the left, who's objective is to create havoc at every opportunity and strive to separate rather than unite society..

So, those straight, middle of the road citizens who were drinking beer and watching events objectively on TV think to themselves " what hypocrites are these gays, they want to be accepted unconditionally but they don't practice what they preach. Here is a guy who has put his money where his mouth is and achieved the impossible and they reject him " If you are not leftist then you are not accepted, you are the enemy. That is not the voice of tolerance and enlightenment but the voice of anarchy and hypocrisy.

Obviously this was a fundamentally flawed image that was projected to the nation and greatly damaged the credibility of such parades and their pacifist, embracing diversity doctrine .

Surely the voice of sanity should be the unconditional acceptance and tolerance of all religions, sexual orientations, diversities, political beliefs, races and disabilities. The left tolerating the right and atheists tolerating religious belief included.Has to be a two way street. Otherwise we are all lost.

I believe that by quietly and diligently making his mark on society the gay politician is proving to people that gays/ trans can do more than run around in pink thongs in a parade. That makes some people ( not so smart obviously) think that gays just party and don't take anything seriously.

I apologise if I have offended or seemed to be flippant and minimise the obviously critical and essential struggle for gay/ trans self-determination and equality, I do not. I just don't always agree with the way the campaign is managed and the cause is presented.

Gay soldiers, surgeons, lawyers, artists, musicians and politicians create a much more serious role model for inspiration than people on pink floats wiggling their fannies and blowing kisses. I think it is a little self- destructive. Just my personal take on things and my absolute right to have an opinion even if unacceptable to some.

I am on your side but I do maintain my right to criticize the way these issues are dealt with. That is the essence of the inclusion of diversity.

firemonkey
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jun 2019, 5:15 am

Teach51 wrote:

Surely the voice of sanity should be the unconditional acceptance and tolerance of all religions, sexual orientations, diversities, political beliefs, races and disabilities. The left tolerating the right and atheists tolerating religious belief included.Has to be a two way street. Otherwise we are all lost.

If only the right would practice what they preach. They don't want a two way street though.