Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

cheziecat
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

09 Jun 2019, 1:27 pm

I had an appointment with my Dr yesterday to ask about a referral for an autism diagnosis.
I had quite a bit of trouble trying to tell him why I was there so I ended up just giving him the folder I'd brought with me which was full of test scores, lists of traits, diagnostic criteria etc.
He looked at me and said, I've known you 3 or 4 years now and you definitely have autism, well aspergers, and I'll happily give you a diagnosis.
I know he can't diagnose me and that servers isn't given as a diagnosis now but hearing him say that was such a massive relief to me.
We talked about why I want an official diagnosis and after hearing my reasons and me trying not to cry he printed out the referral forms for me. I've got a couple of things to fill in and take back to the surgery next week and then he'll send it :D
I'm still very much in shock and still can't believe he's always thought I have autism but so happy that I've taken the first step :)

jimmy m
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jun 2019, 2:07 pm

Congratulations.

cheziecat

09 Jun 2019, 4:35 pm

jimmy m wrote:
Congratulations.

Thanks Jimmy :)

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jun 2019, 4:45 pm

An almost numb time... Is there a wait to be assessed or was that the assessment?

bobaspie2015
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

09 Jun 2019, 8:18 pm

cheziecat wrote:
I had an appointment with my Dr yesterday to ask about a referral for an autism diagnosis.
I had quite a bit of trouble trying to tell him why I was there so I ended up just giving him the folder I'd brought with me which was full of test scores, lists of traits, diagnostic criteria etc.
He looked at me and said, I've known you 3 or 4 years now and you definitely have autism, well aspergers, and I'll happily give you a diagnosis.
I know he can't diagnose me and that servers isn't given as a diagnosis now but hearing him say that was such a massive relief to me.
We talked about why I want an official diagnosis and after hearing my reasons and me trying not to cry he printed out the referral forms for me. I've got a couple of things to fill in and take back to the surgery next week and then he'll send it :D
I'm still very much in shock and still can't believe he's always thought I have autism but so happy that I've taken the first step :)

Hi cheziecat,
All the very best to you.

cheziecat

10 Jun 2019, 4:46 am

Mountain Goat wrote:
An almost numb time... Is there a wait to be assessed or was that the assessment?

Hi Mountain Goat,
Not sure on waiting time :(
The assessment centre where I live does a session with you first to see if they think you need an assessment, not sure if that's the same everywhere.
How are you doing?

cheziecat

10 Jun 2019, 4:49 am

Thanks Bob :)

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jun 2019, 5:46 am

How it works here... I asked a doctor in my local surgery (Which actually took me 2 years to do as I couldn't get myself to ask) and the doctor contacted a referral committee who went by the details my doctor said (Which were a little sketchy on my part as I just couldn't open up and talk...) and my doctor was doubtful they would consider my case. However, the committee met and did decide to accept me for referral. Before I found out that I was being referred I heard about a ew assessment centre being set up and someone gave me details. I emailed them (I don't really like doing phonecalls) and had a reply. They said I am being referred. It is a long wait and I believe I will be contacted when they can give me an appointment date for the referral. They said I will get letter confirming that I have been accepted for assessment, which I have had. And now the wait...
I am not that good at waiting. Initially all I need to know is the symptom I get which I call "Energy loss" which I now believe to be a partial shutdown... This is the main reason why I wanted to be assessed, as in the past I have been tested for all sorts of things and been told it must be some sort of allergy. (Which I have been altering my diet for most of my life in attempts to solve the issue, and when I am weakened by having many occasions of energy loss, I do find that sometimes certain foods have an effect and also I tend to pick up passing viruses etc... Where the times when I am less stressed so dont get so many shutdowns, I am stronger (Less worn out) so I generally don't get other issues. I believe I have hit burn out stage for a fair few years as compared to how I was I just am not up to what I was once able to do.
It effects me as I am nearly at the stage now where even part time work is almost out of the question. I do not work at the momwnt but neither can I sign on to work or claim sick as I seem to have been in a neither here or there state for the last few years. Occasionally I take temporary low hours part time work but this is getting more difficult to do. I am fortunate to live with my mum. I had to sell my house going back about ten years ago and broke even all in all after paying off the mortgage compared to all the costs I had put in.
So it came to the point that me finding out there is a cause to the energy loss and a possible answer has really given me a HUGE relief. And finding out that other aspects which I have just assumed were traits of my character are also autistic spectrum traits... Well, I have had shock after shock! It makes me want to cry to have discovered that the way I think and feel in life... That I am not the only one who feels and thinks like this! I maybe a missfit, but it is such a relief to know there are other missfits out there too! And here some of you are! :D