Asperger's, introversion or highly sensitive person?

Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ] 

fenfaerielee
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

10 Jun 2019, 7:21 am

Afternoon all,

I was diagnosed with asperger syndrome a couple years back (I am a 25y/o woman). However the more I read about highly sensitive people, as well as introverts (& I already know alot about introversion), the more I wonder if the psychiatrist misdiagnosed me? Is it possible do you think ?

I know you can totally get aspies who are introverts too, but is there a way to know for sure? I have also found that on quite a few occasions within asperger groups (on fb, etc), i've found it hard to get on with other aspergians.

Thanks

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jun 2019, 7:42 am

I must admit Asperger's syndrome is overdiagnosed these days. My brother is a bit like you; highly sensitive and introverted, and he got a diagnosis of Asperger's at the age of 32, even though I've never known him to have any of the other common symptoms such as sensory issues, anxiety, stimming, lacking eye contact, disliking change, having special interests or being prone to meltdowns - and these symptoms are more visible or common in boys. Do you have any of those symptoms? Being so you're a girl, your symptoms are probably more complex and masked. But, like I said, I believe Asperger's is being overdiagnosed. I can see it becoming a trend in the future, which might be a good thing because it might help Aspies feel more understood and less alone. It just seems that so many people are being diagnosed with it who I know of.

But I'm not implying that you don't have it, as I don't know you. But you are from Essex, like me! :D

fenfaerielee
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

10 Jun 2019, 7:49 am

'sensory issues, anxiety, stimming, lacking eye contact, disliking change, having special interests or being prone to meltdowns'

I've heard innies & HSP can get some of these things if they're pushed to keep doing & doing, when their 'social battery' has run dry, so to speak.

It's a tricky one..

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jun 2019, 7:50 am

Asperger's----and many Spectrum Disorders----have highly subjective diagnostic criteria.

It's not like cancer----where you either have it, or you don't.

You were probably diagnosed based upon the ICD-10 criteria---which can be said to be at least rather subjective.

Obviously, no one can determine if you have Asperger's (or anything) based upon something written on the Internet.

If I were you, I wouldn't live my life assuming you have Asperger's, or you don't have Asperger's.

I would just adapt myself to my situation, and seek to do my best within that situation (whatever it is: Asperger's or not Asperger's).

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jun 2019, 8:30 am

Lots of people with Asperger’s, especially females, are highly sensitive and introverted. I have all three traits.

Being a Highly Sensitive Person isn’t an official diagnosis but sometimes I think it should be with how much it’s impacted me.

I doubt that you’ve been misdiagnosed.

Are there any creative outlets that you enjoy? People like us seem to enjoy being creative.

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jun 2019, 8:43 am

Someone put on here that 50% of people are introverts. Well. I am a little introverted. I am not one who totally shuts myself off though I have done in the past. I enjoy outside too much, but I would not be happy living in a town unless everyone was nice. I much prefer a countryside setting.

fenfaerielee
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

10 Jun 2019, 9:25 am

Mountain Goat wrote:
Well. I am a little introverted. I am not one who totally shuts myself off though I have done in the past.

I'm not sure that is the definition of an introvert. Think you may be misinterpreting it for a recluse?

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jun 2019, 9:29 am

I maybe. :)
I am a bit of a shy person who wants for others to talk to me. I generally am one to stand and watch rather then be involved in things.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jun 2019, 9:31 am

I'm an introvert. I like to observe---especially in groups of more than two.

I'd rather hang out with my tablet than hang out with other people.

There's one thing I don't like, though----somebody else 'speaking" for me.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jun 2019, 9:54 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
I'm an introvert. I like to observe---especially in groups of more than two.

I'd rather hang out with my tablet than hang out with other people.

There's one thing I don't like, though----somebody else 'speaking" for me.

That's the same with me, except it's my art that I hang out with. I also find that It's the combination of the three things that have been mentioned in the original post in my case.

shortfatbalduglyman
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jun 2019, 10:07 pm

The diagnosis is the psychologists professional opinion

Not a fact

But it is a fact, that you have an autism diagnosis

:mrgreen:

y-pod
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jun 2019, 3:52 am

I once read a book on autism (can't remember what it's called, though) that said autistic people tend to fall into two categories. Those who are overly emotional and sensitive, and those who are mostly logical and unemotional. You can definitely be an aspie and be introverted and sensitive. I guess my point is that you must have some minimum autistic traits for the diagnosis. But don't obsess over a label. I've been diagnosed for 8 years and I found that nobody really cares. Almost nothing changed in my life and nobody treated me differently due to the diagnosis.

9BillionNamesofGod
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

15 Jun 2019, 11:43 am

I am a highly sensitive, introverted aspie. :D These things are not mutually exclusive, au contraire, overlap considerably. Most - but not all - aspies I've met are introverts. Women especially tend to be higly sensitive as well. Another interesting fact is that a lot if aspie women are INFJs, a lot of aspie men are INTPs on the Myers-Briggs personality test. Psychologists, working on their own concepts, often discover the same wall from two opposite sides.

Go with the concept that you think is the most helful for you.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jun 2019, 12:35 pm

My friends call me Big Baby Schultz.