Does being old-fashioned help you with your social skills?

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

KikiKitty678
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

10 Jun 2019, 9:08 am

Even NT millennials have terrible social skills. I find that living like I'm 40 or 50 has helped me a lot. I do use the Internet a lot, but not enough that it's my entire life, and I watch less TV in a week than many people do in a day. I talk a lot about weekend plans, what I've done and asking what other people have done over a week, work, personal life and goals, and the weather; most young people seem to talk about sports, dating, parties, and TV.

Do any other young Aspies act older than they are and find that it helps with social skills?

IstominFan
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jun 2019, 5:11 pm

I am one of the youngest members of many of the groups I'm in. They don't seem to think I'm strange at all. They consider me intelligent and listen to what I have to say. On the other hand, I have had people younger than me treat me as if I am somehow less than they are.

The Grand Inquisitor
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jun 2019, 6:30 pm

I don't think being old-fashioned helps with your social skills if you're talking to people who aren't old-fashioned, the same way that speaking Japanese isn't going to help you communicate better with someone who doesn't speak Japanese.

I think being adaptable helps more with social skills, and I think being old-fashioned is kinda the opposite

Dear_one
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jun 2019, 11:57 am

Not IMHO. I don't think people understand my vocabulary, and I'm totally lost regarding most topics familiar to youth.

Mona Pereth
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jun 2019, 2:20 pm

When I was in my twenties, all my best friends were 10 to 20 years older than me.

In general I think joining groups of people who share one's interests, and where the majority of people are older, is probably a good strategy for young autistic people. There's no good reason to limit oneself to age-"peers".

Being old-fashioned doesn't necessarily improve social skills, but older people are more likely to forgive a lack of social skills in younger people.