Veteran
Veteran

16 Jun 2019, 4:17 pm

Dear_one wrote:
The Twelve Step groups pray:
God, give me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
the courage to change the things I can,
and the wisdom to know the difference.

I’ve always been intrigued by how specific that prayer is. It’s good advice.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jun 2019, 4:25 pm

Twilightprincess wrote:
Dear_one wrote:
The Twelve Step groups pray: God, give me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.
Even if a person has no belief in God, it still expresses the personal need for serenity, courage, and wisdom. It also expresses the need to accept, to change, and to know.

Lacking these things, a person is stuck in an endless rut of turmoil, fear, and foolishness where rejection (of self and others), immobility (in thought and action), and ignorance (of the world and one's own potential).

To not even admit that one is his or her own engine of change is to concede the battle before it has even begun.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Mona Pereth
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jun 2019, 4:32 pm

My approach to life: Where possible, seek out fellow oddballs, rather than try to force myself to conform to mainstream standards.

Dear_one
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jun 2019, 5:57 pm

^^ I second that. Artists and bohemians value eccentricity, so it is easier to blend in and find friends.
"Changing the things you can" is surprisingly effective. When i was very depressed and unable to work, I resumed an old hobby making things with my hands, and it gave me something to think about and enjoy, which was a turning point in recovery. Teenagers in detention homes have settled down for the first time when given a tiny garden plot, where they can encourage a few plants and weed out others themselves.

Fern
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jun 2019, 6:26 pm

Twilightprincess wrote:
Fern wrote:
I'm not saying this approach is the best one. It is just mine. I live by two general rules:

1. Always make a choice. Don't let indecision be the reason an opportunity is lost.
2. When people in the workplace start saying "you can't" it's time to find a better workplace.

Your #1 is a good one! I’m so indecisive, and I’ve realized that making some decision is usually better than making no decision at all.

I can be really indecisive too, at least, I used to be. I have to be honest, this idea was not my own, but one I borrowed from the book The Devil's Arithmetic, which I read as a child. The notion of valuing one's own decisiveness -and agency- really stuck with me. In the book, the main character braved the holocaust with such a mindset. I never had to endure anything as horrible and traumatizing as that, but this way of thinking has helped me get though many moments where the trajectory of my life seemed entirely out of my hands. Making the best choice you can under each set of circumstances is the best any of us can do I think.

Dear_one
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jun 2019, 7:30 pm

To make a decision, it often helps to make a list of the pro and con aspects. If that does not make it clear, I flip a coin. However, I don't obey the coin - I use it to get a gut reaction. If I like the result, fine, but if I don't feel a bit of relief, I'll choose the other way

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jun 2019, 9:19 pm

Fnord wrote:
Twilightprincess wrote:
Dear_one wrote:
The Twelve Step groups pray: God, give me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.
Even if a person has no belief in God, it still expresses the personal need for serenity, courage, and wisdom. It also expresses the need to accept, to change, and to know.

Agreed.
No one and no institution has a monopoly on truth...
Except me, of course. 8) :wink:

Mona Pereth wrote:
My approach to life: Where possible, seek out fellow oddballs, rather than try to force myself to conform to mainstream standards.

"Oddballs"?
I would say: "Individualists" or "non-conformers" to groupthink. :wink:

Dear_one wrote:
To make a decision, it often helps to make a list of the pro and con aspects. If that does not make it clear, I flip a coin. However, I don't obey the coin - I use it to get a gut reaction. If I like the result, fine, but if I don't feel a bit of relief, I'll choose the other way

And when you choose "the other way" and still feel uncomfortable? :mrgreen:

I have a saying: If in doubt, cut it out. 8)

Last edited by Pepe on 16 Jun 2019, 9:28 pm, edited 3 times in total.

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jun 2019, 9:19 pm

I’ve gotten lots of great responses. Thanks everyone!

I’d like to adopt a more “seize the day” and live life to the fullest type of approach towards life, but I’m still too timid to effectively apply it.

Of course, common sense cannot be entirely forgotten, either.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jun 2019, 9:41 pm

Dear_one wrote:
^^ I second that. Artists and bohemians value eccentricity, so it is easier to blend in and find friends.

It has been my experience that those not in the mainstream group tend to be more accepting of a differing POV and lifestyles.
Most gay people I have met are very sympathetic to those who don't fit the socially accepted mould due to the struggles they have had to face.

Marknis
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jun 2019, 9:51 am

Twilightprincess wrote:
Marknis wrote:
I was denied an approach to life. I had both "No, Mark, you can't do that!" and "God has a plan for you!" drilled into my head. Even after defying my parents and rejecting religion, I am still denied from life.

You are not “denied an approach to life.” Change is possible.

Most of us have had to find out what works over time based on what wasn’t working. One can learn a lot from whatever bad example he or she was presented with. There’s no reason to give up.

There’s a good life approach: don’t give up no matter how hard it gets.

I am almost 31 and don't have any of the milestones people my age usually have accomplished. I feel like it's time to give up.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jun 2019, 9:52 am

I'm 58. And have achieved very few milestones myself.

I'm not ready to give up, yet.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jun 2019, 10:16 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
I'm 58. And have achieved very few milestones myself.

I'm not ready to give up, yet.

Same here.
I haven't achieved most of the neurotypical milestones either.
The problem is I don't give a shite. :mrgreen:

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jun 2019, 10:25 am

There’s always time. There’s no reason to give up on the things one wants to do at 31.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jun 2019, 10:31 am

Twilightprincess wrote:
There’s always time. There’s no reason to give up on the things one wants to do at 31.

Always positive.
Where on earth do you get the energy? :wink:

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jun 2019, 10:57 am

Pepe wrote:
Twilightprincess wrote:

Always positive.
Where on earth do you get the energy? :wink:

I have plenty of negative moments, actually.

I am inspired by people who try to have a positive outlook despite dealing with various challenging situations. When one is negative all the time, it can be really hard to make changes or to observe opportunities. It just zaps a lot of energy.

Happiness needs to come from within. We can’t rely solely on external circumstances to bring us happiness, I’m realizing.

Marknis
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jun 2019, 11:44 am

Twilightprincess wrote:

But why is it that so many people before and after me have achieved those milestones before they hit their 30's but I have not? All of my siblings have graduated college, have careers, started families, and they achieved those things before their 30's (One of them is still in his 20's but he's achieved more than I have). Why have they succeeded while I have only had failures?