Page 1 of 9 [ 134 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next

TheRevengeofTW1ZTY
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jun 2019, 2:21 pm

Personally I believe in either of these two theories:

1. There is no actual Hell and we are all headed to the same place after we die.

2. The world we live in now actually IS the true Hell.

Thoughts? :)

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jun 2019, 2:25 pm

When Jean-Paul Sartre penned the words "L'enfer, c'est les autres" ("Hell is other people"), he was being optimistic.

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jun 2019, 2:25 pm

I believenthere is a Hell and I don't want to go there. I know there is a Heaven as I've been there. But not been to Hell and don't even want to look! Others have been there and their stories are... Well... Hell!

Arganger
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jun 2019, 2:28 pm

I have a lot of different ideas but don't share yours.

Suspected; PTSD (Treated, as my counselor did notice), possible PCOS, PMDD, Learning disabilities (Sure of it, unknown what they are), possibly something wrong with immune system (Sick about as much as I'm not) Possible EDS- hyper mobility type (Will be getting tested, suggested by doctor) dysautonomia
My website;
www.autistichelpsyou.com

Twilightprincess
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jun 2019, 2:31 pm

I, personally, don’t believe in Hell, but if a fear of Hell keeps someone from doing something awful, then I’m all for it!

hurtloam
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jun 2019, 2:36 pm

I don't believe in hell. Never have done. Seems excessively cruel even for the worst kinds of people.

I once read this (I paraphrase, bear in mind I read it 20 years ago):

If an eye for an eye is the standard, then no human can justly be punished with eternal suffering because no human can ever cause eternal suffering.

Twilightprincess
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jun 2019, 2:41 pm

hurtloam wrote:
I don't believe in hell. Never have done. Seems excessively cruel even for the worst kinds of people.

I once read this (I paraphrase, bear in mind I read it 20 years ago):

If an eye for an eye is the standard, then no human can justly be punished with eternal suffering because no human can ever cause eternal suffering.

I can’t think of anyone that I would wish to suffer for an eternity.

On the other hand, sometimes a swift execution doesn’t seem like enough...

Or there’s also awful people who receive no prison time or punishment for their crimes.

TheRevengeofTW1ZTY
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jun 2019, 2:53 pm

Whose to say that the earth isn't a true hell what with the wars, starvation, diseases, and natural disasters?

Perhaps we are bound to the earth like a sort of prison and after the apocalypse comes we will finally be released from this suffering and our debts paid off?

And yes I agree, burning alive forever just seems too cruel even for the worst of us.

Death is merciful. It comes to each and every one of us in our worst moment in life to end our suffering as soon as he possibly can and take us away from this "Hell".

Twilightprincess
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jun 2019, 2:58 pm

TheRevengeofTW1ZTY wrote:
Whose to say that the earth isn't a true hell what with the wars, starvation, diseases, and natural disasters?

Perhaps we are bound to the earth like a sort of prison and after the apocalypse comes we will finally be released from this suffering and our debts paid off?

And yes I agree, burning alive forever just seems too cruel even for the worst of us.

Death is merciful. It comes to each and every one of us in our worst moment in life to end our suffering as soon as he possibly can and take us away from this "Hell".

Parts of the world are hellish, but my particular part isn’t.

I think that if earth was supposed to be Hell bad stuff would be more evenly distributed. Do you know what I mean?

It’s not fair that so many people have few human rights and are starving when my life, presently, is decent.

TheRevengeofTW1ZTY
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jun 2019, 3:04 pm

Twilightprincess wrote:

I think that if earth was supposed to be Hell bad stuff would be more evenly distributed. Do you know what I mean?

It’s not fair that so many people have few human rights and are starving when my life, presently, is decent.

I believe the part of hell you and I live in is a sort of 'false paradise'. The people living here think they're better off than the rest of the world, but many are still very unhappy even when they have plenty to be thankful for (our silly First World problems).

And such paradises are always doomed to crumble beneath our feet at some point. Like it did for the Romans.

Twilightprincess
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jun 2019, 3:13 pm

Twilightprincess wrote:

I believe the part of hell you and I live in is a sort of 'false paradise'. The people living here think they're better off than the rest of the world, but many are still very unhappy even when they have plenty to be thankful for (our silly First World problems).

And such paradises are always doomed to crumble beneath our feet as some point. Like it did for the Romans.

Lots of people have relatively happy lives from birth to death (with moments of sadness and loss, of course).

Others suffer horrible, almost unthinkable atrocities.

There’s no way that that wouldn’t be fair.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jun 2019, 3:16 pm

Believe it or not, it does happen...

TheRevengeofTW1ZTY
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jun 2019, 3:23 pm

Twilightprincess wrote:
Twilightprincess wrote:

And such paradises are always doomed to crumble beneath our feet as some point. Like it did for the Romans.

Lots of people have relatively happy lives from birth to death (with moments of sadness and loss, of course).

Others suffer horrible, almost unthinkable atrocities.

There’s no way that that wouldn’t be fair.

Then perhaps there is no hell? :)

But I believe this world is still worse than whatever awaits us after death. Even if the only thing that awaits us is an eternal unconscience sleep that we never awaken from.

In eternal sleep we can never feel pain and we won't be unhappy or sad or scared because we'll be out of it. :coffee:

"To die, to sleep, to sleep prechance to dream. Ay, there's the rub. For in that sleep of death what dreams may come."

:skull:

Twilightprincess
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jun 2019, 3:28 pm

Life’s but a walking shadow, a poor player,
That struts and frets his hour upon the stage,
And then is heard no more. It is a tale
Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,
Signifying nothing.

-Macbeth

Last edited by Twilightprincess on 10 Jun 2019, 4:25 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Twilightprincess
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jun 2019, 3:29 pm

Fnord wrote:
Believe it or not, it does happen...

Now I know not to trust people from Michigan.