Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

Claradoon
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

11 Jun 2019, 7:24 pm

Somebody distract me please - I'm having a shopoholic attack. I've lost control of my budget 3 times already during the last week - I bought a weighted blanket (paradise!), extra load of groceries, and a summer dress from India (good luck).

And I have another half a month to go! It's the fault of those pictures the web gives you on-line, from Google or something. That summer dress? I've got thousands of them coming up on my screen wherever I go! And I want them all! Immediately!

Save me!

SilentJessica
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

11 Jun 2019, 8:55 pm

It can be hard to stop buying clothes sometimes, especially when there are online sales. :)

You could remind yourself of clothes you’ve bought online in the past that didn’t fit properly or felt weird to wear. If you already have a lot of similar dresses, you could try to picture yourself wearing the new ones. If you don’t see yourself wearing them much, you’re probably right, and if you get them, you wouldn’t get much use out of them.

The weighted blanket and groceries are things you’ll use. :) You shouldn’t feel too bad about those.

AQ: 40
RAADS-R: 149

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jun 2019, 3:14 am

Something that worked for me in model railways. I changed scale to a scale that everything I bought either had to Bea kit or it was tools or materials to make things. I then have to make what I use, so it limits me to how much I actually buy as before I changed scale everything was ready made so I had a compulsion to buy in case I missed out on the latest items (As things were not on the shelves for long).

So if you find clothes that are beautiful, but not commercially available, you have to make them yourself. This soon limits what you buy. It also directs your thoughts to get the more sensible things like tools to make things with....

Changing scale for me cured my collecting as did not having an income. Actually, not having an income for a couple of years (I don't have an income as I speak except for selling the collection of factory made trains that I have accumulated) does go a long way to limit what I buy as I don't go in debt and as I have no income, loans are out of the question anyway.

BenderRodriguez
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jun 2019, 4:50 am

Install an add blocker Clara, you don't have to be bombarded with that crap all the time.

Claradoon
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

12 Jun 2019, 2:10 pm

Mountain Goat wrote:
Something that worked for me in model railways. I changed scale to a scale that everything I bought either had to Bea kit or it was tools or materials to make things. I then have to make what I use, so it limits me to how much I actually buy as before I changed scale everything was ready made so I had a compulsion to buy in case I missed out on the latest items (As things were not on the shelves for long).

Oh I have always wanted a railway! What a fine and wonderful hobby that would be. I'm not mechanically inclined but I would make a village etc. There is the problem of size - I don't have room for another salt shaker. So that will have to wait.

You are right about making my own dresses, but there's no room for my sewing machine either. I used to make all my clothes. I find that I'm too old and weak to stay awake for any length of time. You're right, thought - I can make that stuff, better than they do. Ah but can I go to the fabric shop? No, really.

But thanks, I do appreciate what you've said. :)

Claradoon
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

12 Jun 2019, 2:11 pm

BenderRodriguez wrote:
Install an add blocker Clara, you don't have to be bombarded with that crap all the time.

Now there's an idea! I didn't know I could block them. What do I buy, how, where, name?

BenderRodriguez
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jun 2019, 2:38 pm

Claradoon wrote:
BenderRodriguez wrote:

Now there's an idea! I didn't know I could block them. What do I buy, how, where, name?

I'm not enabling you :shameonyou:

What browser do you use? They come with free add blockers.

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jun 2019, 3:15 am

Claradoon wrote:
Mountain Goat wrote:

Oh I have always wanted a railway! What a fine and wonderful hobby that would be. I'm not mechanically inclined but I would make a village etc. There is the problem of size - I don't have room for another salt shaker. So that will have to wait.

You are right about making my own dresses, but there's no room for my sewing machine either. I used to make all my clothes. I find that I'm too old and weak to stay awake for any length of time. You're right, thought - I can make that stuff, better than they do. Ah but can I go to the fabric shop? No, really.

But thanks, I do appreciate what you've said. :)

The railway layout I am making is 2ft x 7ft so is quite small. The only problem is, you could be spending a lot if not careful. (I am careful these days... Just about!)

I have seen nice little railways made from the plastic battery trainsets made for kiddies and they look quite effective. One person made a snow scene with the north pole in it and a frozen lake etc.