Does anyone else need to eat healthy to eat less?

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

KikiKitty678
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

13 Jun 2019, 8:22 am

I’ve seen people eat junk but still stop at a small amount and stay thin, and I just don’t understand how. It’s crazy. If I eat junk I just want more and more.

From what I’ve seen, very few people eat healthy. Even people who don’t struggle with weight seem to eat not-so-healthy and just not want to eat more than they should. There are some people who eat healthy, but not many, and I try but when I slip up all I want is more and more.

languagehopper
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

20 Jun 2019, 1:38 am

Junk food makes you want more of it. This can be from a short term effect where your blood sugar spikes and then crashes making it too low so you feel the need to top it up again but also a long term effect where your gut bacteria evolve so they are mainly the sort that thrive on sugar or things that convert easily to sugar and they can make you fetch them more of what they want by manipulating your hormones. There are enough neurons in your gut to give it far more control over your actions than was previously credited and there are actually more bacterial cells in your body than human ones. In some ways we are actually the bacteria's host and exist to feed them!! We do better if we control this relationship by ensuring we have bacteria that make us feel good by only feeding the ones that want healthy(for us) food. Eating lots of vegetables, some fruit, legumes, nuts and seeds and giving up junk food is the answer. I feel so much less anxious, I have less pain, my asthma went away and I lost loads of weight since I gave up processed food. It took a couple of difficult weeks but it was the best thing I ever did. I just wish I had known that it wasn't my fault that I craved those things before. I used to feel helpless and that I would never be able to do it but I did and I am so glad. The taste of food actually changes for the better. When you eat junk food it dulls your taste buds and you don't appreciate real food. Now even the smell of junk food makes me feel ill! Whereas an apple tastes heavenly.

shortfatbalduglyman
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jun 2019, 9:01 am

Paranoid I am gaining a lot of weight right now

Or sooner or later

Don't want to be eating disorder

Not too uptight

But uptight enough

BTDT
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jun 2019, 9:43 am

I just had some Dorayaki as a snack before lunch. Two wheat pancake and an azuki beam filling. I need to gain a few pounds. Which means I have three meals and two snacks for the day.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2019, 10:31 pm

I am one of those people who eat junk and stay thin. It has to do with how your body absorbs its nutrients and sugar. I don't get more hungry from sugar and I don't want more of it. I just feel full and some people get sick from too much of it. I also eat it in moderation because I pay attention to calories. Candy and sweets won't keep you full for four hours. A McDonald's hamburger would fill me up and I don't bother ordering a meal. I can eat a Happy Meal no problem because it has very little food.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

shortfatbalduglyman
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2019, 10:57 pm

That's what I do not understand

Some people can work with candy bars on their desk

I eat too much but it is almost all healthful

BenderRodriguez
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2019, 11:01 pm

^
Some people don't like sweets much.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jul 2019, 5:48 pm

shortfatbalduglyman wrote:

If there is candy around me, too tempting. But if I do not have it in my sight, very easy to not touch. If it costs money to eat, also very easy to not touch.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jul 2019, 5:54 pm

shortfatbalduglyman wrote:

How to eat less food; lower the food portions, use smaller plates and bowls. Only eat at meal time every four hours. Do not snack in between, always drink water instead of any other drinks. You will feel hungry for a while but your stomach shrinks over time and then you won't feel hungry all the time because your body will be used to having less food. Never have seconds. Also never go back to your old eating habits or else the weight will pile back on.