Does anyone know how long humans will be on Earth?

Page 1 of 4 [ 60 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

KikiKitty678
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

13 Jun 2019, 8:40 am

Warning: very dark topic, not for the faint of heart!

We are the first generation to know that the human race will probably not last forever. We are damaging the planet, and the Earth will be okay when we’re gone, but we won’t be okay unless we change.

We can save the planet, but if we choose not to, the planet will still be okay only because we’ll be gone—it sounds so dark, but it’s true. Are there predictions for how long humans will live on Earth?

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jun 2019, 8:44 am

KikiKitty678 wrote:
... Are there predictions for how long humans will live on Earth?
Yes. Some say that Generation Y will be the last generation. Others say that humanity will adapt and evolve to exist in the new environment. Still others claim that Judgment Day is coming 'soon'.

I other words, nobody knows.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

TheRevengeofTW1ZTY
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jun 2019, 8:46 am

I think I heard from someone maybe 30 years or so?

The interesting thing about us humans is that we are pretty good at adapting to our environmnts. Even if climate change kills off most of the human population there's a chance that the survivors will learn to adapt to the extreme weather and find ways to still survive.

It might be better than nuking ourselves to death in my opinion. Of course I could be wrong.

Oh and millions of years from now the sun will grow large enough to swallow mercury, venus, earth, and mars. Nothing will survive that, so yeah. Sooner or later our entire planet will be destroyed.

The Spades teach us to conquer all we claim.

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jun 2019, 8:49 am

I tend to think that we’ll be around for a long time. By the time Earth is inhabitable, I think humans might have the capability to find a new place to hang out.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jun 2019, 8:55 am

We've always had prognostications of the "ending of the World"---ever since the Dawn of Man.

I don't believe "Global Warming" and such spells the end of the Human Species as we know it...

TheRevengeofTW1ZTY
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jun 2019, 9:01 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
We've always had prognostications of the "ending of the World"---ever since the Dawn of Man.

That is true. Just about every religion believes in some form of an apocalypse. I think hunans have known since the beginning that our world wasn't going to last forever.

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jun 2019, 9:05 am

TheRevengeofTW1ZTY wrote:
kraftiekortie wrote:

That is true. Just about every religion believes in some form of an apocalypse. I think hunans have known since the beginning that our world wasn't going to last forever.

When I was 4 or 5, my family told me that Armageddon would come before I started kindergarten and then before other occasions after that.

QuantumChemist
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jun 2019, 9:11 am

During the Cold War, many people thought that they would be the last humans on Earth, as there was a constant risk of all out nuclear war. In the early 1960s (Cuba missile crisis), it was common for people to build a shelter so that they could feel that they would have a chance to survive. Since so much time has passed since the fall of the Berlin Wall, we no longer tend to feel that it will be another nation that kills us off in an act of war, but Mother Nature itself.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jun 2019, 9:14 am

Twilightprincess wrote:
kraftiekortie wrote:
When I was 4 or 5, my family told me that Armageddon would come before I started kindergarten and then before other occasions after that.
I have a list of all the 'Doomsday' predictions made by JW&WS from their inception to the year 2000. Obviously, none of them have come true.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

TheRevengeofTW1ZTY
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jun 2019, 9:17 am

I still remember Y2K. My cousin played the funniest prank on us on New Years Eve by flipping our circuit breaker off. :lol:

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jun 2019, 9:28 am

I still remember Y2K. My cousin played the funniest prank on us on New Years Eve by flipping our circuit breaker off.
I remember waking up to an explosion down the street and the entire neighborhood going dark. It turned out that a drunk driver was coming home from a New Year's Eve party, and rammed his car into a utility pole, knocking down a transformer, and cutting off electricity in a six-block area. Fun times!

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jun 2019, 9:32 am

Fnord wrote:
Twilightprincess wrote:
kraftiekortie wrote:
I have a list of all the 'Doomsday' predictions made by JW&WS from their inception to the year 2000. Obviously, none of them have come true.

Even apart from those specific predictions they’ve made (“false prophets”), they still constantly teach that it’s right around the corner and could come any day now.

Lots of America JWs who had left returned right after 9/11 because they thought that that was the start.

TheRevengeofTW1ZTY
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jun 2019, 9:34 am

Fnord wrote:
I still remember Y2K. My cousin played the funniest prank on us on New Years Eve by flipping our circuit breaker off.
I remember waking up to an explosion down the street and the entire neighborhood going dark. It turned out that a drunk driver was coming home from a New Year's Eve party, and rammed his car into a utility pole, knocking down a transformer, and cutting off electricity in a six-block area. Fun times!

I actually hate blackouts. I have kind of a phobia of that. :(

That joke he played on us was pretty clever though.

"Lord of Light protect us! For the night is dark and full of terrors!" :skull:

TheRevengeofTW1ZTY
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jun 2019, 9:36 am

Twilightprincess wrote:
Fnord wrote:
Twilightprincess wrote:
kraftiekortie wrote:

Even apart from those specific predictions they’ve made (“false prophets”), they still constantly teach that it’s right around the corner and could come any day now.

Lots of America JWs who had left returned right after 9/11 because they thought that that was the start.

Who once said "The world will not end with a bang, but with a whimper"? :huh:

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jun 2019, 9:57 am

Quote:
Does anyone know how long humans will be on Earth?

12 years, according to Al Gore.
Oh wait.
I think he said that 6? years ago? :scratch: :mrgreen:

Quote:
The ever receding climate goalpost: IPCC and Al Gore “12 years to save the planet” (again)
Anthony Watts / October 8, 2018

Ah, it’s beginning to sound like a broken record. The same message over and over again. It’s as if these folks don’t pay attention to history.

The United Nations has once again issued another dire climate change report (SR15, see it here) claiming we must act before it’s too late. Summary here. In the meantime, the audit of faulty climate data suggests the rush to judgment is unwarranted. See our WUWT story: BOMBSHELL: audit of global warming data finds it riddled with errors https://wattsupwiththat.com/2018/10/08/ ... net-again/

I am not saying I don't believe huwomanity isn't affecting the climate.
I simply have trouble embracing alarmist rhetoric that has been proven to be wrong in the past. 8)

Twilightprincess wrote:
I tend to think that we’ll be around for a long time. By the time Earth is inhabitable, I think humans might have the capability to find a new place to hang out.

Well, It's been a long time coming but I will be packing up, just to be sure, and moving to Vulcan next week Tuesday.
Chip in for petrol and anyone is welcome to join me. :mrgreen:

kraftiekortie wrote:

They just got it wrong by about 5 billion years. :mrgreen:

TheRevengeofTW1ZTY
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jun 2019, 10:24 am

Pepe wrote:

kraftiekortie wrote:

They just got it wrong by about 5 billion years. :mrgreen:

If nothing else then the sun will swallow us up millions of years from now. ;)

:skull: :sunny: :skull: