Baptist Sheriff's Detective Demands Death for LGBTQ People.

Page 2 of 2 [ 31 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

18 Sep 2019, 3:56 pm

UncannyDanny wrote:
^Are you exactly saying that it's GOD's word to be anti-LGBT? Or was it just said by those who believed in Him, but tend to have a hatred for LGBT people, therefore demonizing them?
Read the Bible and find out for yourself.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

UncannyDanny
Veteran
Veteran

18 Sep 2019, 3:59 pm

^Which part, exactly?

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

18 Sep 2019, 4:06 pm

UncannyDanny wrote:
^Which part, exactly?
Leviticus, Chapter 20.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

UncannyDanny
Veteran
Veteran

18 Sep 2019, 5:02 pm

^Leviticus
Introduction
Leviticus contains regulations for worship and religious ceremonies in ancient Israel, and for the priests who were responsible for carrying out these instructions.
The main theme of the book is the holiness of God and the ways in which His people were to worship and live so as to maintain their relationship with "the holy God of Israel."
The best known words from the book, found in 19.18, are those which Jesus called the second great commandment: "Love your neighbor as you love yourself".

Leviticus Chapter 20:1-2,13
"The Lord told Moses to say to the people of Israel....'If a man has sexual relations with another man, they have done a disgusting thing, and both shall be put to death. They are responsible for their own death.'"

Good News Bible: Today's English Version, printed 1966-1976.

Okay, first of all, this was written during the time of Moses herding the Hebrews to the land of Israel, meaning that this was set thousands of years BEFORE Christianity existed. Secondly, the Bible was not ACTUALLY written by God Himself, but those who believed in Him, meaning that there could be some sort of authentic licence of that writer writing from THEIR point of view. Thirdly, back then, many people there were not really the brightest stars in the night sky, so those "writers" were extremely quick to making harsh judgments on things they just dislike or don't understand. Fourth, if God really doesn't allow homosexual relationships, then why did He allow Judas to kiss Jesus, and some guy (sorry, I forgot his name) to kiss David? Isn't kissing a part of 'sexual relations'?

Last edited by UncannyDanny on 18 Sep 2019, 5:43 pm, edited 3 times in total.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

18 Sep 2019, 5:21 pm

Now we know why we shouldn't take the Bible literally.....

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

18 Sep 2019, 5:28 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
Now we know why we shouldn't take the Bible literally.....

The bible=literally the biggest I said goodbye to christianity. :D What a screwed up book, if anything it may be a good picture of things that were wrong in the past.

UncannyDanny
Veteran
Veteran

18 Sep 2019, 5:31 pm

^Perhaps. But, like Kraftie said, we shouldn't take it too literally. Still, since this is today's world, you'd think that many people nowadays should've known better by now.

tensordyne
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

18 Sep 2019, 6:21 pm

No, we should take it litterally, and in historical and current news media context, and then laugh, real hard. Laugh until tears come tumbling down.

We should carefully study every aspect of that accursed Atenist document.

KimD
Veteran
Veteran

18 Sep 2019, 7:44 pm

Sweetleaf wrote:
That is a good reason to keep the bible out of politics and legislation.

Amen to that! :wink:

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

18 Sep 2019, 7:55 pm

UncannyDanny wrote:
... Okay, first of all, this was written during the time of Moses ...
I'm only pointing out the passage, not defending it. That's God's job, not mine.

cberg
Veteran
Veteran

18 Sep 2019, 8:06 pm

I thought God was considered too busy running the universe to be the one writing about God all this time. :scratch:

-Gem Tos :mrgreen:

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

18 Sep 2019, 8:11 pm

cberg wrote:
I thought God was considered too busy running the universe to be the one writing about God all this time.
Again, I am only pointing out the relevant passage (because someone asked). I am not defending it.

Gentleman Argentum
Veteran
Veteran

19 Sep 2019, 6:43 am

I recommend "What the Bible Really Says about Homosexuality" by Daniel Helminiak for those concerned over Leviticus or Paul's words. It has helped many Christians reconcile their religious beliefs with human sexuality. That is what I recommend for people that take the Bible literally and/or believe that the Bible is the only guidebook they need for everyday life.

My own religious beliefs do not center around any Scripture, which I believe is a fossil record of the thinking of ancient peoples in a particular time and place. It seems unfair to pin God down and limit God to a collection of words and phrases jotted down by folk living in difficult times, ignorant of science and all the wonders of the modern age. God is revealed through Creation. So, science is a good guide, for one. There should be no conflict between religion and science.

Those who have no need for God and reject the whole kit and kaboodle as bogus, O.K. that is fine by me, but let's hope you are strong enough to withstand by yourself all the temptations of drugs, alcohol, and other vices, pitfalls and depression that can beset us mortals. To me, God's a powerhouse and allows me to tap into that good and holy energy when I need it.

blazingstar
Veteran
Veteran

19 Sep 2019, 6:59 am

I've always wondered why people pick out that particular chapter and verse of Leviticus to hammer down on others. Don't they read the rest of the chapter? Do they really want to suffer the other punishments meted out? Either follow Leviticus or not. Can't pick and choose. :D

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

19 Sep 2019, 8:35 am

blazingstar wrote:
I've always wondered why people pick out that particular chapter and verse of Leviticus to hammer down on others. Don't they read the rest of the chapter? Do they really want to suffer the other punishments meted out? Either follow Leviticus or not. Can't pick and choose.
I've wondered why people focus only on the "Thou Shalts" and the "Thou Shalt Nots" without giving any thought to the admonition "Do not judge, or you will be judged. For with the same judgment you pronounce, you will be judged; and with the measure you use, it will be measured to you." (Matthew 7:1-2)

I mean, "Sodomy" is loosely defined by the "Righteous" as any form of sex that is not between a man and a woman, and that is not for the sole purpose of procreation. So if two people pleasure each other anally, orally, or even digitally, that is "Sodomy" under the judgement of the "Righteous", and those two people must be put to death under Levitican law.

But if two "Righteous" people deviate from there interpretation, then it's supposed to be alright because their "Righteousness" means they cannot sin. I would not be surprised if the sheriff I mentioned earlier has engaged in something other than vaginal intercourse, and in something other than the missionary position.

:roll: Hypocrisy...