High-Functioning Autistic Woman Fed Up with Camouflaging

Page 1 of 2 [ 31 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

TheCleverWitch
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

13 Jun 2019, 1:50 pm

Hey all,

I'm 26 years old and just found out that I have high-functioning ASD within the last year. For most of my life, I've camouflaged just adequately enough to not have my autism recognized in any sort of useful way, but poorly enough to still always be the social anomaly. I also have ADHD, so that seems to have helped in concealing my autism as well. I've reached a point of being totally fed up with changing/controlling everything about myself to make NeuroTypicals comfortable (no offense meant to you NTs); it's so taxing and draining, and I no longer have the mental or emotional energy for it.
At the same time, my newfound intolerance for the societal demand that I camouflage doesn't eliminate my need for social interaction, so I've been attempting to find others like myself. The thing is, I feel like I'm not even that similar to most other aspies that I've encountered. The most concise way I can think of to describe myself is as a combination of the characters Sheldon Cooper and Amy Farrah Fowler from The Big Bang Theory (Yes, I know that's a problematic show. It just happens to have the two characters to whom I most relate) - and I don't encounter others like that very often.
So I guess I'm here to inquire: Are there more people like that - like this - out there? How do I find them??

Best,

Lavender

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jun 2019, 2:01 pm

First, Welcome Aboard! I hope you find your stay here rewarding.

Second, we're all different from each other -- there is no single ASD 'type'.

Third, how do you find people like you? You already have!

(Confused?)

Many of us are also tired with camouflaging, masking, or just pretending to be something we are not in order to keep the people around us from treating us badly -- THAT is where you'll find the similarity. Many of us also have ADHD or other 'comorbids'. We have all experienced everything from simple misunderstand to outright cruelty at the hands of people who would not tolerate how different we are from them; so even if we are not the same, we are closer to each other than we are to the neurotypicals around us.

Again, Welcome Aboard!

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

BTDT
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jun 2019, 2:10 pm

Welcome!

I agree with Fnord in that we are all different. Which means that trying to find others exactly like you will be hard.

I merely look for acceptance. People who accept that I am different and still treat me with respect.

I socialize by meeting people who share my special interests. I am so good at what I do that many people aren't really that surprised to find out that I'm different when they meet me in person.

Last edited by BTDT on 13 Jun 2019, 2:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Nydcat
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

13 Jun 2019, 2:17 pm

How did adhd helped conceal you asd? I also have a late diagnostic with adhd and I was wondering if it has something to do with me flying under the radar.

Trogluddite
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jun 2019, 2:39 pm

Welcome to Wrong Planet, Lavender.

Firstly, I agree with what's already been said. I think it's also worth remembering that you don't have to treat these things as absolutes. Masking is just a tool, though as you well know, there's a price to be paid for using it. But there are some situations where I find that the cost is worth paying in the short-term when the alternatives are likely to hurt me more - particularly with people who are highly intolerant of difference, but whom I'll have very little contact with. Pragmatically, ten minutes of masking can just be a lot easier than getting sucked into a lengthy, unwinnable debate sometimes. I see it as a cost/benefit ratio to manage rather than as an absolute ideological choice, and little different to the way that NT people show different facets of themselves in different contexts. I vary it depending upon who I'm with and where I am, and sometimes suppress some traits but not others (I've found that stopping eye contact seems to be quite a good "ice-breaker", but that will depend on what you find easiest to explain to people.)

Taking a less absolute approach may help in another way, too. You may be surprised how much you have conditioned yourself to mask; to the point that it's not as easy to switch off as you imagine. This might lead to disappointment or frustration if you were intending to simply let the mask go all at once - so allowing yourself to do it more gradually can take a bit of pressure off yourself and make any unexpected reactions from people less demoralising.

And finally; if you are going to take your mask down anyway, there is little to be lost by casting your net wider for friendship. I have several good NT friends who just so happen to be the kind who have little problem with my unmasked self. Other friends are autistic people with whom I only share a few traits, but it doesn't really matter - because I only see them in contexts where it doesn't really matter (a trite example: you don't have to like the same paintings to enjoy music together.) This does require a bit of thick skin, because some people, both autistic and non-autistic, will reject your unmasked self - but then, nor would you have truly been friends with them if you presented your masked self; so nothing is really lost.

I hope you find Wrong Planet as beneficial and enjoyable as I have.

TheCleverWitch
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

13 Jun 2019, 6:17 pm

Nydcat wrote:
How did adhd helped conceal you asd? I also have a late diagnostic with adhd and I was wondering if it has something to do with me flying under the radar.

My understanding is that sometimes the symptoms/features of the two can sort of "cancel" each other out (not actually, but it can appear that way to an outside observer); for example, autistic children often focus obsessively on their interests, while children with ADHD may have difficulty focusing on anything. Other symptoms may overlap, so indicators that usually lead to a diagnosis in one of these issues may be ignored on the grounds that they're already explained by the other. For a while, the medical consensus was that the two do NOT co-occur, but that conclusion has changed during recent years. Hope that helps!

TheCleverWitch
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

13 Jun 2019, 6:23 pm

Fnord wrote:
First, Welcome Aboard! I hope you find your stay here rewarding.

Second, we're all different from each other -- there is no single ASD 'type'.

Third, how do you find people like you? You already have!

(Confused?)

Many of us are also tired with camouflaging, masking, or just pretending to be something we are not in order to keep the people around us from treating us badly -- THAT is where you'll find the similarity. Many of us also have ADHD or other 'comorbids'. We have all experienced everything from simple misunderstand to outright cruelty at the hands of people who would not tolerate how different we are from them; so even if we are not the same, we are closer to each other than we are to the neurotypicals around us.

Again, Welcome Aboard!

Thank you for the welcoming sentiments, Fnord. I certainly see your point, but maybe I wasn't sufficiently clear about what I've been looking for.... I've found it relatively easy to identify other people similarly fatigued of conforming to societal norms. What I haven't had as much success in has been finding other people I can relate to with regard to my general personality, apart from the exhaustion. I understand that no one out there is going to be my carbon-copy (and I'm sure we'd irritate each other to no end if such a person existed), but I've been wishing to find a few people that share my.... hyper-intellectualized? sort of ASD. And while this might be the right place to begin that search, I won't consider myself to have actually found them until actually encountering those individual. I hope that clarifies what I was attempting to express. Thank you again for your encouragement.

TheCleverWitch
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

13 Jun 2019, 6:36 pm

Trogluddite wrote:
Welcome to Wrong Planet, Lavender.

Firstly, I agree with what's already been said. I think it's also worth remembering that you don't have to treat these things as absolutes. Masking is just a tool, though as you well know, there's a price to be paid for using it. But there are some situations where I find that the cost is worth paying in the short-term when the alternatives are likely to hurt me more - particularly with people who are highly intolerant of difference, but whom I'll have very little contact with. Pragmatically, ten minutes of masking can just be a lot easier than getting sucked into a lengthy, unwinnable debate sometimes. I see it as a cost/benefit ratio to manage rather than as an absolute ideological choice, and little different to the way that NT people show different facets of themselves in different contexts. I vary it depending upon who I'm with and where I am, and sometimes suppress some traits but not others (I've found that stopping eye contact seems to be quite a good "ice-breaker", but that will depend on what you find easiest to explain to people.)

Taking a less absolute approach may help in another way, too. You may be surprised how much you have conditioned yourself to mask; to the point that it's not as easy to switch off as you imagine. This might lead to disappointment or frustration if you were intending to simply let the mask go all at once - so allowing yourself to do it more gradually can take a bit of pressure off yourself and make any unexpected reactions from people less demoralising.

And finally; if you are going to take your mask down anyway, there is little to be lost by casting your net wider for friendship. I have several good NT friends who just so happen to be the kind who have little problem with my unmasked self. Other friends are autistic people with whom I only share a few traits, but it doesn't really matter - because I only see them in contexts where it doesn't really matter (a trite example: you don't have to like the same paintings to enjoy music together.) This does require a bit of thick skin, because some people, both autistic and non-autistic, will reject your unmasked self - but then, nor would you have truly been friends with them if you presented your masked self; so nothing is really lost.

I hope you find Wrong Planet as beneficial and enjoyable as I have.

Thank you for the feedback, Trogluddite (is your username a play on luddite as in those opposed to technological advances? Very clever!) I'm very familiar with the idea of cost-benefit masking - I grew up with an abusively intolerant family and masking was a huge part of surviving for me. I think that may be contributing to just how extremely worn out I am now...
As for what you said about the inability to stop masking all at once: I've certainly found this to be true! Do you have any pointers on how to sort out what's native to oneself from learned camouflage techniques? The most drastic change I've made recently has been giving myself permission to stim and to avoid eye contact in some situations. Those are both rather obvious adjustments, however, and I've been unsure of how to figure out what else is me versus masking. I'd be very grateful for any advice on the topic.

And I'm not planning on throwing away my NT friends or anything, but I've found that with my personal history of failure-to-camouflage-resulting-in-abuse I tend to automatically mask as much as possible around NTs out of sheer instinct/panic, no matter how many times they've assured me that I needn't. I've been hoping that being more immersed in my own tribe, so to speak, would lessen my internal pressure to conform to NT standards.

TheCleverWitch
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

13 Jun 2019, 6:40 pm

BTDT wrote:
Welcome!

I agree with Fnord in that we are all different. Which means that trying to find others exactly like you will be hard.

I merely look for acceptance. People who accept that I am different and still treat me with respect.

I socialize by meeting people who share my special interests. I am so good at what I do that many people aren't really that surprised to find out that I'm different when they meet me in person.

Thanks for the input, BTDT. I definitely value the people I've found - NTs included - who are accepting of who I am. But I've been hoping to find a better balance of different and similar. I'll start pursuing shared interests as soon as I figure out what my interests are! :?

Nydcat
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

13 Jun 2019, 7:40 pm

TheCleverWitch wrote:
Nydcat wrote:

I understand. Like when I'm overwhelmed by sound, instead of melting or shutting down, I uncontrollably and intensely zone out.

BTDT
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jun 2019, 8:04 pm

You need to find more time finding yourself before you can match up with other people like you.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0163187/
Premise of Runaway Bride. She spends so much time being the ideal mate for someone...
Just like camouflaging.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jun 2019, 8:15 pm

TheCleverWitch wrote:
... I've been wishing to find a few people that share my.... hyper-intellectualized? sort of ASD...
Oh. Another hyper-intellectualized person. Welcome aboard anyway...

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Mona Pereth
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jun 2019, 9:43 pm

TheCleverWitch wrote:
I've found it relatively easy to identify other people similarly fatigued of conforming to societal norms. What I haven't had as much success in has been finding other people I can relate to with regard to my general personality, apart from the exhaustion. I understand that no one out there is going to be my carbon-copy (and I'm sure we'd irritate each other to no end if such a person existed), but I've been wishing to find a few people that share my.... hyper-intellectualized? sort of ASD. And while this might be the right place to begin that search, I won't consider myself to have actually found them until actually encountering those individual.

Well, I've sometimes been told that I am "hyper-intellectual," and indeed I very much enjoy philosophical conversation. I think there are some others around here like this too.

A question, though: How do you manage to be "hyper-intellectualized" if you have difficulty concentrating on anything? (I don't mean to challenge your reality, I'm just curious as to how this works. I hope my question is not offensive.)

Anyhow, welcome to WP.

Last edited by Mona Pereth on 13 Jun 2019, 10:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Trogluddite
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jun 2019, 10:28 pm

TheCleverWitch wrote:
(is your username a play on luddite as in those opposed to technological advances? Very clever!)

Coined for me rather than my own invention. I'm not opposed to new technologies per se (I've been a coder for 35 years and I am endlessly fascinated by science), but I prefer to judge them by their potential to improve my quality of life, rather than to be forced into using them at society's convenience. My legendary resistance to carrying a mobile phone at all times combined with my youthful enthusiasm for caving/spelunking led to the epithet.

TheCleverWitch wrote:
Do you have any pointers on how to sort out what's native to oneself from learned camouflage techniques?

Now there's a question! I'm very much still going through the process of sorting this one out myself. I'd had over four decades of brainwashing myself before my diagnosis a few years ago. I'm not sure that it is just a matter of discovering one's native self; I think there's also an element of developing a native self. When one's primary objective in any social situation is to avoid detection, one's behaviour becomes dictated by other people's wishes (or at least, what one believes them to be.) Since this begins in infancy, I think it leads to significant problems with self-identity and agency, especially if executive function impairments are also in the fray. Asking myself what my own goal was before deciding how to act usually seemed moot, and it still seems somewhat alien to me now. Learning to be more assertive certainly helps, but it helps a whole lot more if one actually has a position to assert!

The externally notable behaviours, such as eye-contact and stimming, have been relatively easy for me to unmask; though as you may already have found, there are people who will wonder why one has "got worse", "regressed", "stopped trying", or "uses autism as an excuse" because the mask concealed its own artifice. Learning to stop my internal censor from procrastinating about whether my perceptions or opinions are appropriate to express or act upon has been much harder, but my feeling is that this is the key to the problem. To find who I am is going to require a bit of trial and error, I think, and that won't work if I can't be honest about how those experiences make me feel.

Mona Pereth
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jun 2019, 11:13 pm

Trogluddite wrote:
Learning to stop my internal censor from procrastinating about whether my perceptions or opinions are appropriate to express or act upon has been much harder, but my feeling is that this is the key to the problem. To find who I am is going to require a bit of trial and error, I think, and that won't work if I can't be honest about how those experiences make me feel.

Agreed that it's important to be able to be honest. Yet it is still necessary to be considerate towards other people in one's life. I'd be very interested if you post your thoughts on this matter in the separate thread Autistic-friendly social skills vs. blending in with NT's.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jun 2019, 11:19 pm

Welcome to WP! :D