Any science researchers with HF Autism/Aspergers?

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

Khalo
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

14 Jun 2019, 4:19 pm

Hi,

I am new to the message boards-it's taken me a while to find somewhere like this, but I'm pleased I have. Thank you!

I am currently a PhD student working in genetics/genomics research. I wondered how other researchers on the spectrum dealt with the lack of predicability in day-to-day research and also the isolation that comes with research projects.

Specifically, while I like physically working on my own in the lab, I struggle being the only one with the knowledge to troubleshoot my research. I also struggle to have common points of discussion with other members of the team I work with, as no one else works on my project. This leaves me quite isolated at work.

While lack of predictability is an over arching part of research (answering questions which haven't been answered before etc.), I find day-to-day planning can be difficult- for example, if a piece of equipment is broken, or a standard protocol doesn't work (despite troubleshooting and finding no errors). These things leave me feeling chaotic and overwhelmed.

I wondered how other scientists working in research and who are on the spectrum dealt with this, either currently or in the past? Do you still work in research or did you leave?

Thank you in advance!

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jun 2019, 4:33 pm

<--- Electrical Engineer, with a lot of years in Research & Development.

It's a hard choice to make between working methodically by myself and eventually reaching a singular conclusion, or working chaotically with others and discovering new possibilities to research later.

The former means that I get sole credit for the results, but the equipment I need may not always be available. It also means that I can work at my own rapid pace when no one else is around, but my research doesn't always get high priority.

The latter means that I must share the credit with slackers, but someone will always have the equipment needed for the experiment. It also means that my research usually gets higher priority, but the research advances at the pace of the slowest person in the group.

It took a while, earning promotions above everyone else means that my research always has the highest priority, I can always find the equipment I need, the work moves along at the pace I dictate for it, and I can fire all of the slackers whenever I want!

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

jimmy m
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jun 2019, 7:13 pm

Since this is your first post - Welcome to Wrong Planet.

Khalo
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

15 Jun 2019, 11:53 am

jimmy m wrote:
Since this is your first post - Welcome to Wrong Planet.

Thank you!

Khalo
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

15 Jun 2019, 11:56 am

Fnord wrote:
<--- Electrical Engineer, with a lot of years in Research & Development.

It's a hard choice to make between working methodically by myself and eventually reaching a singular conclusion, or working chaotically with others and discovering new possibilities to research later.

The former means that I get sole credit for the results, but the equipment I need may not always be available. It also means that I can work at my own rapid pace when no one else is around, but my research doesn't always get high priority.

The latter means that I must share the credit with slackers, but someone will always have the equipment needed for the experiment. It also means that my research usually gets higher priority, but the research advances at the pace of the slowest person in the group.

It took a while, earning promotions above everyone else means that my research always has the highest priority, I can always find the equipment I need, the work moves along at the pace I dictate for it, and I can fire all of the slackers whenever I want!

Thanks very much for this thoughtful reply! I will have to work with others while I am still a student, so will have to battle through some of the chaos, but hopefully this does mean I will have a few more ideas and brains to study and analyse the results. I hope that as I gain experience, I can become more confident in my independence.

Good for you for sticking in research and development- it can be a challenging place to work.