Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

Persephone29
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jun 2019, 9:48 pm

Hello everyone!

Been searching for a place to talk with other ASD peeps. I've been reading some of the posts and figured I'd just break the ice with my "story."

I guess they don't use the term Asperger's in the manual anymore, but in my Neurocognitive testing report the doctor kept referring to Asperger's as a way to describe where he felt I fell on the spectrum. I'd been hiding (or attempting to hide) my true self for well, all my life, I guess. In my heart I knew, I 'stimmed' a lot, mostly in secret. But I'd also do it openly around people I knew/trusted. Or, when no one was looking, at work. Which was actually really fun, because no one knew where the noise was coming from and I could laugh. Anyway...
I didn't want anyone to know and I kept trying to beat the MMPI's. But no matter how smart you are, if you are lying, the 'control' questions will 'out' you. So, this last time I just answered honestly. I got referred for the test because of work. If coworker would come into my space with nonsense, I would just tell them to go way, beat it, scram, whatever. I didn't feel bad about it either. And on very rare occasions, if I felt I had been truly wronged, I would go on a diatribe (melt-down). So, here I am. I've known for sure now for five (5) days.
Like probably most everyone here, my verbal IQ scores were another big indicator. The interesting thing is that despite that, I'm a woman of plain speech and relatively few spoken words, compared to written words. Little empathy; I'm one of the ones who will attempt to console someone by patting their back with the soft end of the broom. I hate touch and proximity, but I have an understanding spouse who works with me.
I'm also ADHD.

Just saying "hi" and I hope to be a better friend here than I am in real life. :heart:

Neurocognitive exam in May 2019, diagnosed with ASD, Asperger's type in June 2019.

The_CheerfulMuffin948
Butterfly
Butterfly

14 Jun 2019, 10:07 pm

Welcome to WB Persephone29! It's pleasure to meet you. The name's Tiffany and your story is very relatable , I understand it and I'm glad I found this post! :D

Persephone29
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jun 2019, 10:31 pm

The_CheerfulMuffin948 wrote:
Welcome to WB Persephone29! It's pleasure to meet you. The name's Tiffany and your story is very relatable , I understand it and I'm glad I found this post! :D

Thank you!

Neurocognitive exam in May 2019, diagnosed with ASD, Asperger's type in June 2019.

The_CheerfulMuffin948
Butterfly
Butterfly

14 Jun 2019, 10:46 pm

Anytime Persephone29! :D

jimmy m
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jun 2019, 11:05 pm

Welcome to Wrong Planet. There is very little difference between High Functioning Autistic and Aspergers. So if you want to refer to yourself as an Aspie, go right ahead. I think the term is far more endearing than HFA.

Persephone29
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jun 2019, 8:46 pm

jimmy m wrote:
Welcome to Wrong Planet. There is very little difference between High Functioning Autistic and Aspergers. So if you want to refer to yourself as an Aspie, go right ahead. I think the term is far more endearing than HFA.

Thanks, pleasure to meet you.