Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

firemonkey
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jun 2019, 8:18 am

Maybe I'm odd but now I've got the diagnosis I'm not ecstatic or anything. It's just a 'Well I was right all along" feeling . I'm still the same person ,warts and all,than I was before.

It's not as though there has been a sea change or anything. I think this may be due to the awareness that there's little out there for adults , and I can't see how this is going to affect me going forwards.

Trueno
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jun 2019, 8:30 am

I'm glad you got your diagnosis... you were getting stressed about it all(if I remember correctly). So it's all behind you now. Everything falls into place and it's onwards and upwards.

Unkind tongue, right ill hast thou me rendered
For such desert to do me wreak and shame

firemonkey
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jun 2019, 8:52 am

I think half or more of it is I find it hard to see what the future may bring , and really struggle with identifying goals .

Trueno
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jun 2019, 8:57 am

Does the diagnosis affect that? I don't think I've had a goal in my life... apart from "I must quit work asap".

firemonkey
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jun 2019, 9:02 am

I think it's a long term thing , and not something the Asperger's dx makes better or worse.

Trueno
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jun 2019, 9:18 am

I'm not the best person to advise... I'm hoping some wise WPer may pile in here.

For myself, I have small goals around personal interests... like trying to learn Spanish. Things like that stress me out because I can't keep to them... the Spanish book is just sitting there mocking me. So I put the Spanish stuff away, then I have to get it all out again... and so on around in circles.

As for life in general, as in "what will become of me"... I think I do all right, but I have my moments, like waking up at 3 in the morning and worrying like hell about everything. I just assume everyone's like that.

firemonkey
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jun 2019, 9:35 am

The only goal I could think of was to lose weight. My BMI at the time was 34. I didn't go for calorie counting as I get hung up about getting the calorific value of each food item eaten exactly right. Instead I just tried cutting down. That worked for about 7 weeks when I lost 9 lbs ( within the recommended weight loss range of 1-2 lbs). Then the weight plateaued . After a good number of weeks with it stubbornly staying where it was I gave up.

SaveFerris
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jun 2019, 9:47 am

firemonkey wrote:
Maybe I'm odd but now I've got the diagnosis I'm not ecstatic or anything. It's just a 'Well I was right all along" feeling . I'm still the same person ,warts and all,than I was before.

It's not as though there has been a sea change or anything. I think this may be due to the awareness that there's little out there for adults , and I can't see how this is going to affect me going forwards.

Ah! but you see , what once were warts may now be explained , they were never warts , they were essentially you - do you understand ?

Hypocrisy is the greatest luxury. Raise the double standard

firemonkey
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jun 2019, 9:54 am

SaveFerris wrote:
firemonkey wrote:

Ah! but you see , what once were warts may now be explained , they were never warts , they were essentially you - do you understand ?

Thanks, but I was thinking of warts in terms of not being PPIEW . The diagnosis just took away a few warts that weren't really warts .

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jun 2019, 9:58 am

Post diagnosis felt somewhat anti-climatic for me. It was sort of like: okay, I’ve got this figured out but now what?

It was a relief in some ways because a lot of things I’ve always struggled with suddenly made sense. I often heard that I wasn’t trying hard enough, but I finally had an explanation as to why I struggled even though I was actually doing my best. Even though I understood myself better and had some sense of validation, it didn’t really change much else.

I found that these feelings of vague disappointment went away with time. Once I stopped obsessing about whether or not I was on the spectrum, I had more room to think about other things and focus on other special interests.

firemonkey
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jun 2019, 10:14 am

Twilightprincess wrote:
Post diagnosis felt somewhat anti-climatic for me. It was sort of like: okay, I’ve got this figured out but now what?

That's summed up how I also feel very well. I do think I'd have felt somewhat different if I'd been diagnosed 25 years earlier when the diagnosis first was used.

I'm struggling to see what comes next as someone in late middle age .

Persephone29
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jun 2019, 10:01 pm

firemonkey wrote:

Same. Now I'm just scared that it's going to be used against me.

Neurocognitive exam in May 2019, diagnosed with ASD, Asperger's type in June 2019.