Page 2 of 3 [ 45 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

TheRevengeofTW1ZTY
Veteran
Veteran

Joined: 23 Apr 2019
Gender: Male
Posts: 3,102
Location: Um...

16 Jun 2019, 9:26 am

I don't trust the internet to explain to me what a sociopath, psychopath, or narcissists really are because there is simply not enough study on the human brain to understand these conditions.

And it REALLY annoys me the way these words get tossed around a lot in the media as a blanket term for basically anybody who does something mean to somebody else. Not all criminals or people in positions of authority and power are sociopaths or psychopaths.

"This man robbed a bank to feed his family??? He MUST be a sociopath! All sociopath exhibit criminal behavior!! !"

"This soldier killed somebody in a war??? Psychopath!! ! Psychos all kill people and feel no remourse so every soldier defending our country is an evil psycho!! !! !! !"

:roll:

In my opinion every as*hole is NOT a psycho, but every psycho IS an as*hole.


_________________
The Hearts teach us to feel pleasure and pain.
The Diamonds teach us to enjoy that we gain.
The Clubs teach us to work the goals we aim.
The Spades teach us to conquer all we claim.


TheRevengeofTW1ZTY
Veteran
Veteran

Joined: 23 Apr 2019
Gender: Male
Posts: 3,102
Location: Um...

16 Jun 2019, 9:29 am

Pepe wrote:
Quote:
Although both biological and environmental factors play a role in the development of psychopathy and sociopathy, it is generally agreed that psychopathy is chiefly a genetic or inherited condition, notably related to the underdevelopment of parts of the brain responsible for emotional regulation and impulse control. The most-important causes of sociopathy, in contrast, lie in physical or emotional abuse or severe trauma experienced during childhood. To put the matter simplistically, psychopaths are born, and sociopaths are made. https://www.britannica.com/story/whats- ... arcissists


That is NOT true. Scientists cannot make up their minds on rather sociopaths and narcissists are born or created through enviromental factor. Or both.

Seriously dude, if you're not trained in psychology then quit claiming to be an expert on the subject based on what you read off the INTERNET!


_________________
The Hearts teach us to feel pleasure and pain.
The Diamonds teach us to enjoy that we gain.
The Clubs teach us to work the goals we aim.
The Spades teach us to conquer all we claim.


Twilightprincess
Veteran
Veteran

Joined: 28 Sep 2016
Age: 36
Gender: Female
Posts: 5,353

16 Jun 2019, 10:17 am

TheRevengeofTW1ZTY wrote:
I don't trust the internet to explain to me what a sociopath, psychopath, or narcissists really are because there is simply not enough study on the human brain to understand these conditions.

And it REALLY annoys me the way these words get tossed around a lot in the media as a blanket term for basically anybody who does something mean to somebody else. Not all criminals or people in positions of authority and power are sociopaths or psychopaths.

"This man robbed a bank to feed his family??? He MUST be a sociopath! All sociopath exhibit criminal behavior!! !"

"This soldier killed somebody in a war??? Psychopath!! ! Psychos all kill people and feel no remourse so every soldier defending our country is an evil psycho!! ! ! ! ! !"

:roll:

In my opinion every as*hole is NOT a psycho, but every psycho IS an as*hole.


I don’t like to see those words thrown about in the media, either, because then when you say that someone is a sociopath most people will think you mean much less by that term than you actually do.

Sociopaths don’t always engage in behavior that would result in jail time, but they are as abusive and manipulative as they can get away with being. They might choose not to murder someone because they don’t want to go to jail rather than because murder isn’t (usually) a very nice thing to do.

Even more off-topic, never tell a victim that his or her abuser is not a sociopath if the victim already stated that he or she is.



TheRevengeofTW1ZTY
Veteran
Veteran

Joined: 23 Apr 2019
Gender: Male
Posts: 3,102
Location: Um...

16 Jun 2019, 10:27 am

Twilightprincess wrote:
TheRevengeofTW1ZTY wrote:
I don't trust the internet to explain to me what a sociopath, psychopath, or narcissists really are because there is simply not enough study on the human brain to understand these conditions.

And it REALLY annoys me the way these words get tossed around a lot in the media as a blanket term for basically anybody who does something mean to somebody else. Not all criminals or people in positions of authority and power are sociopaths or psychopaths.

"This man robbed a bank to feed his family??? He MUST be a sociopath! All sociopath exhibit criminal behavior!! !"

"This soldier killed somebody in a war??? Psychopath!! ! Psychos all kill people and feel no remourse so every soldier defending our country is an evil psycho!! ! ! ! ! !"

:roll:

In my opinion every as*hole is NOT a psycho, but every psycho IS an as*hole.


I don’t like to see those words thrown about, either, because then when you say that someone is a sociopath most people will just think you mean much less by that term than you actually do.

Sociopaths don’t always engage in behavior that would result in jail time, but they are as abusive and manipulative as they can get away with being. They might choose not to murder someone because they don’t want to go to jail rather than because murder isn’t (usually) a very nice thing to do.



I agree. And just like with us Aspies, each sociopath, psychopath, and narcissist is different. They each have their own personalities too.

I kind of blame showbusiness. Our movies, video games, TV shows, and books have brainwashed us into thinking that every psycho is either a dastardly villain like The Joker or a cool antihero who kills badguys with no remourse and bangs lots of pretty women like James Bond.

Also I don't like the way people assume that every person who commits a crime or kills in a war has anti-social behavior. Some people do that stuff either because they are impoverished and desperate or because of a strong desire to protect their own families or even themselves.


_________________
The Hearts teach us to feel pleasure and pain.
The Diamonds teach us to enjoy that we gain.
The Clubs teach us to work the goals we aim.
The Spades teach us to conquer all we claim.


Twilightprincess
Veteran
Veteran

Joined: 28 Sep 2016
Age: 36
Gender: Female
Posts: 5,353

16 Jun 2019, 10:49 am

TheRevengeofTW1ZTY wrote:
Twilightprincess wrote:
TheRevengeofTW1ZTY wrote:
I don't trust the internet to explain to me what a sociopath, psychopath, or narcissists really are because there is simply not enough study on the human brain to understand these conditions.

And it REALLY annoys me the way these words get tossed around a lot in the media as a blanket term for basically anybody who does something mean to somebody else. Not all criminals or people in positions of authority and power are sociopaths or psychopaths.

"This man robbed a bank to feed his family??? He MUST be a sociopath! All sociopath exhibit criminal behavior!! !"

"This soldier killed somebody in a war??? Psychopath!! ! Psychos all kill people and feel no remourse so every soldier defending our country is an evil psycho!! ! ! ! ! !"

:roll:

In my opinion every as*hole is NOT a psycho, but every psycho IS an as*hole.


I don’t like to see those words thrown about, either, because then when you say that someone is a sociopath most people will just think you mean much less by that term than you actually do.

Sociopaths don’t always engage in behavior that would result in jail time, but they are as abusive and manipulative as they can get away with being. They might choose not to murder someone because they don’t want to go to jail rather than because murder isn’t (usually) a very nice thing to do.



I agree. And just like with us Aspies, each sociopath, psychopath, and narcissist is different. They each have their own personalities too.

I kind of blame showbusiness. Our movies, video games, TV shows, and books have brainwashed us into thinking that every psycho is either a dastardly villain like The Joker or a cool antihero who kills badguys with no remourse and bangs lots of pretty women like James Bond.

Also I don't like the way people assume that every person who commits a crime or kills in a war has anti-social behavior. Some people do that stuff either because they are impoverished and desperate or because of a strong desire to protect their own families or even themselves.


Sociopathy is an interesting field of research, but it makes people uncomfortable. Most would prefer to label such people as evil and leave it at that.

I would prefer to think of such people as evil, actually, but looking for causation (especially brain abnormalities) could lead to prevention.



TheRevengeofTW1ZTY
Veteran
Veteran

Joined: 23 Apr 2019
Gender: Male
Posts: 3,102
Location: Um...

16 Jun 2019, 10:58 am

Twilightprincess wrote:
TheRevengeofTW1ZTY wrote:
Twilightprincess wrote:
TheRevengeofTW1ZTY wrote:
I don't trust the internet to explain to me what a sociopath, psychopath, or narcissists really are because there is simply not enough study on the human brain to understand these conditions.

And it REALLY annoys me the way these words get tossed around a lot in the media as a blanket term for basically anybody who does something mean to somebody else. Not all criminals or people in positions of authority and power are sociopaths or psychopaths.

"This man robbed a bank to feed his family??? He MUST be a sociopath! All sociopath exhibit criminal behavior!! !"

"This soldier killed somebody in a war??? Psychopath!! ! Psychos all kill people and feel no remourse so every soldier defending our country is an evil psycho!! ! ! ! ! !"

:roll:

In my opinion every as*hole is NOT a psycho, but every psycho IS an as*hole.


I don’t like to see those words thrown about, either, because then when you say that someone is a sociopath most people will just think you mean much less by that term than you actually do.

Sociopaths don’t always engage in behavior that would result in jail time, but they are as abusive and manipulative as they can get away with being. They might choose not to murder someone because they don’t want to go to jail rather than because murder isn’t (usually) a very nice thing to do.



I agree. And just like with us Aspies, each sociopath, psychopath, and narcissist is different. They each have their own personalities too.

I kind of blame showbusiness. Our movies, video games, TV shows, and books have brainwashed us into thinking that every psycho is either a dastardly villain like The Joker or a cool antihero who kills badguys with no remourse and bangs lots of pretty women like James Bond.

Also I don't like the way people assume that every person who commits a crime or kills in a war has anti-social behavior. Some people do that stuff either because they are impoverished and desperate or because of a strong desire to protect their own families or even themselves.


Sociopathy is an interesting field of research, but it makes people uncomfortable. Most would prefer to label such people as evil and leave it at that.

I would prefer to think of such people as evil, actually, but looking for causation (especially brain abnormalities) could lead to prevention.


The twisted part about it is that, like us Aspies, many of them probably don't want a cure. The condition does not really hurt them, it hurts everyone around them and they don't care because they lack empathy. But as long as they can function in life they see nothing wrong with feeling no empathy.

Aspies to me are like the polar opposite of Psychos. And Aspies often look for the positives in their conditions the same as Psychos.

As messed up as it sounds it is quite possible that feeling no empathy for others can be useful in certain professions. Just like an Aspie's logical and literal thinking can be useful.

Ok sorry for getting waaaay off topic again. When I feel too intensely or curious about something I tend to focus on it abd get off topic. Sorry :oops: :(


_________________
The Hearts teach us to feel pleasure and pain.
The Diamonds teach us to enjoy that we gain.
The Clubs teach us to work the goals we aim.
The Spades teach us to conquer all we claim.


Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

Joined: 6 Jan 2011
Gender: Female
Posts: 31,294
Location: Somewhere in Colorado

16 Jun 2019, 11:08 am

NO! it does not work, never has and never will.

What actually happens is the very wealthy hog the wealth, in offshore accounts and any way they can...so all that which is supposed to trickle down just gets piled up and sat on essentially where it it is certainly not stimulating the economy and its not trickling down to the middle class or below to people who are more likely to actually spend the money and keep it in circulation.



TheRevengeofTW1ZTY
Veteran
Veteran

Joined: 23 Apr 2019
Gender: Male
Posts: 3,102
Location: Um...

16 Jun 2019, 11:15 am

Sweetleaf wrote:
NO! it does not work, never has and never will.

What actually happens is the very wealthy hog the wealth, in offshore accounts and any way they can...so all that which is supposed to trickle down just gets piled up and sat on essentially where it it is certainly not stimulating the economy and its not trickling down to the middle class or below to people who are more likely to actually spend the money and keep it in circulation.


I completely agree. It'll be kind of like the dark ages where the wealthy aristocrats hogged all the wealth and land and the poor hardworking peasants are forced to starve and do without basic human rights.

I thought that the whole reason America was created as a country was supposedly because we didn't want to live that way anymore. Now it's like we're trying to go back into the dark ages where the rich 10% have all the power and can abuse the hell out of the commoners. :|


_________________
The Hearts teach us to feel pleasure and pain.
The Diamonds teach us to enjoy that we gain.
The Clubs teach us to work the goals we aim.
The Spades teach us to conquer all we claim.


IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 1 Nov 2017
Gender: Female
Posts: 32,734

16 Jun 2019, 11:27 am



Me in Economics class ^

:heart: Ferris Bueller :heart:



kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 4 Feb 2014
Gender: Male
Posts: 71,162
Location: Queens, NYC

16 Jun 2019, 11:28 am

I should put this on the record:

I am not an advocate of raising taxes.

In simple theory, “trickle-down economics” assumes that all will benefit from the prosperity of the rich.

However, in many cases, the rich cause the benefit to the poor and middle classes to be less than what it should theoretically be.



TheRevengeofTW1ZTY
Veteran
Veteran

Joined: 23 Apr 2019
Gender: Male
Posts: 3,102
Location: Um...

16 Jun 2019, 11:37 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
I should put this on the record:

I am not an advocate of raising taxes.

In simple theory, “trickle-down economics” assumes that all will benefit from the prosperity of the rich.

However, in many cases, the rich cause the benefit to the poor and middle classes to be less than what it should theoretically be.


Frankly I don't trust the rich to take care of me.


_________________
The Hearts teach us to feel pleasure and pain.
The Diamonds teach us to enjoy that we gain.
The Clubs teach us to work the goals we aim.
The Spades teach us to conquer all we claim.


techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 6 Feb 2005
Age: 40
Gender: Male
Posts: 21,212
Location: The 27th Path of Peh.

16 Jun 2019, 11:56 am

It has all of the same problems that Keynesianism has - ie. people like to only apply it selectively.

For example to have tax cuts on businesses translate directly into stimulus for the economy it needs to spur both the creation of jobs with good wages and innovation / R&D. If the board of directors is looking to squeeze every drop on dividends and short-term value then this can't happen - ie. HR is just overhead and the fewer employees the better, and R&D is too risky, best to just cannibalize small startups, buy them and their R&D, take the results of their R&D and close up the R&D process. Similarly when you have manufacturing vacating the country for cheaper labor and/or closer proximity to raw materials this also voids the local value.

Keynesianism seems to have the problem that people love the idea of deficit spending as stimulus during recession but then they have no desire to remember that during good times you're then supposed to go an equal amount into surplus (ie. shrink the budget) to make up the difference.

Both are great ideas in theory but no one actually seems to want to practice them.


_________________
"The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. To be your own man is a hard business. If you try it, you'll be lonely often, and sometimes frightened. But no price is too high to pay for the privelege of owning yourself" - Rudyard Kipling


kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 4 Feb 2014
Gender: Male
Posts: 71,162
Location: Queens, NYC

16 Jun 2019, 12:02 pm

Communism and Socialism are great IN THEORY.



TheRevengeofTW1ZTY
Veteran
Veteran

Joined: 23 Apr 2019
Gender: Male
Posts: 3,102
Location: Um...

16 Jun 2019, 12:23 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
Communism and Socialism are great IN THEORY.

Capitalism is great for Capitalists and bad for everybody else.


_________________
The Hearts teach us to feel pleasure and pain.
The Diamonds teach us to enjoy that we gain.
The Clubs teach us to work the goals we aim.
The Spades teach us to conquer all we claim.


IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 1 Nov 2017
Gender: Female
Posts: 32,734

16 Jun 2019, 12:24 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
Communism and Socialism are great IN THEORY.


All theories are great in theory.



TheRevengeofTW1ZTY
Veteran
Veteran

Joined: 23 Apr 2019
Gender: Male
Posts: 3,102
Location: Um...

16 Jun 2019, 12:45 pm

IsabellaLinton wrote:
kraftiekortie wrote:
Communism and Socialism are great IN THEORY.


All theories are great in theory.


And Capitalistic countries like the USA will actually ruin Democracy in other countries through war and political sabotage just to take care of their own people (especially the rich and powerful). Ironic how we do this sort of thing to other countries seeing as we're technically supposed to be a Democracy ourselves.

I think we are really more of a Kakistocracy than a true Democracy.


_________________
The Hearts teach us to feel pleasure and pain.
The Diamonds teach us to enjoy that we gain.
The Clubs teach us to work the goals we aim.
The Spades teach us to conquer all we claim.