Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

TheRevengeofTW1ZTY
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jun 2019, 8:02 am

How come the internet has become THE place to get misinformation?

I guess because anybody can edit wikipedia or build their own website or upload a youtube video. But it's disturbing what kind of BS you find online nowadays like the as*hole telling idiot parents that you can cure autistic children with bleach. I mean what next? Curing kids who have down syndrome with rat poison? :roll:

I don't think I should trust the internet anymore. Too many idiots and as*holes online who take advantage of the gullible. :|

The Spades teach us to conquer all we claim.

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jun 2019, 2:17 pm

I think the problem comes when people lack the knowledge to distinguish legitimate evidence and research from just a random person (or group of persons) spouting off nonsense.

Some of it also has to do with cognitive biases. If I want to believe some crazy or bizarre theory, I could easily find a website to back me up.

Ignorance + cognitive bias= Trouble

TheRevengeofTW1ZTY
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jun 2019, 2:22 pm

Twilightprincess wrote:
I think the problem comes when people lack the knowledge to distinguish legitimate evidence and research from just a random person (or group of persons) spouting off nonsense.

Some of it also has to do with cognitive biases. If I want to believe some crazy or bizarre theory, I could easily find a website to back me up.

That's true. If I WANT to believe bad things about the world, I can easily look up any website or news to back up my opinions about the world being a horriblw place no matter how absurd it it.

And all news is completely biased and designed to get people worked up and upset in order to push some kind of political agenda.

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jun 2019, 2:25 pm

TheRevengeofTW1ZTY wrote:
Twilightprincess wrote:

That's true. If I WANT to believe bad things about the world, I can easily look up any website or news to back up my opinions about the world being a horriblw place no matter how absurd it it.

And all news is completely biased and designed to get people worked up and upset in order to push some kind of political agenda.

Sensationalism = ratings

It’s a viscous cycle, I’m afraid.

I’ve got family who are anti-vaxxers and adore homeopathy. They use the internet to their advantage (i.e. disadvantage) all the time.

TheRevengeofTW1ZTY
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jun 2019, 2:30 pm

Twilightprincess wrote:
Twilightprincess wrote:

Sensationalism = ratings

I’ve got family who are anti-vaxxers and adore homeopathy. They use the internet to their advantage (i.e. disadvantage) all the time.

I think I tend to do the same sort of thing. Especially when it comes to reading about New Age-type stuff. :oops:

Edit: I've never trusted anti-vaxxers though.

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jun 2019, 2:39 pm

Twilightprincess wrote:
Twilightprincess wrote:

Sensationalism = ratings

I think I tend to do the same sort of thing. Especially when it comes to reading about New Age-type stuff. :oops:

I say: whatever floats your boat as long as you also make sure to get appropriate medical care!

My grandmother was in the hospital recently because she refused to take medications because she was worried about getting side effects. She always looks at the papers that come with medications the doctor prescribes.

TheRevengeofTW1ZTY
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jun 2019, 2:44 pm

Twilightprincess wrote:
Twilightprincess wrote:
Twilightprincess wrote:

Sensationalism = ratings

I say: whatever floats your boat as long as you also make sure to get appropriate medical care!

My grandmother was in the hospital recently because she refused to take medications because she was worried about getting side effects. She always looks at the papers that come with medications the doctor prescribes.

I once tried to quit taking my bipolar medication cold turkey and boy was that a big mistake! I won't do something like that ever again! :|

I really don't like my doctors but the meds do seem to help me manage my bipolar disorder.

And I think it's a good idea if I never look at the news on google. I always see something that triggers me because we all know their intent is to upset their readers.

And sometimes they do in fact lie. When you know that the press has lied how can you trust it? :?

Same with internet websites.

TheRevengeofTW1ZTY
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jun 2019, 2:47 pm

But at the same I want to keep up with the world and I can't trust the news or the internet for that. :shrug:

TheRevengeofTW1ZTY
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jun 2019, 3:50 pm

Actually, I think I'm just being absurd again. :lol: :oops: