Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

asalem
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

16 Jun 2019, 3:20 pm

I am and have been diagnosed due to lack of family support about my issues. I am basically built to fend for myself. I wish I had the right circle to guide me about my mental issues. I know I have something wrong with me. I definitely show autistic signs but I also show adhd signs as well.There is so much that is wrong with me that I feel like I am slipped through the system. I should have been diagnosed. I know there were people in my life that suspected but I am all alone. I have a learning disability too and a stutter. I feel like I need help but I can't find the right approach.
Anways my question is how do you cope with having autism and adhd?

PoseyBuster88
Toucan
Toucan

17 Jun 2019, 10:55 pm

That sounds really tough. My dad has ADHD we think...and he is the only one who doesn't show signs of ASD. I would figure out small, concrete goals for yourself. Like how video games have stages within each level. For me, I try having timed amounts of time
do household chores I dislike. Like 15 minute segments, and then I reward myself. And if you can afford a therapist, do that too.

Persephone29
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jun 2019, 2:11 am

asalem wrote:
I am and have been diagnosed due to lack of family support about my issues. I am basically built to fend for myself. I wish I had the right circle to guide me about my mental issues. I know I have something wrong with me. I definitely show autistic signs but I also show adhd signs as well.There is so much that is wrong with me that I feel like I am slipped through the system. I should have been diagnosed. I know there were people in my life that suspected but I am all alone. I have a learning disability too and a stutter. I feel like I need help but I can't find the right approach.

Hi Asalem, I have both too. The thing that works best for me is to do one thing at a time and see it to the end. And speak as slowly as you like, practice singing. Also meditation, the internet can teach you simple techniques.

Neurocognitive exam in May 2019, diagnosed with ASD, Asperger's type in June 2019.

Lizbeth Ann
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

05 Sep 2019, 3:34 pm

asalem wrote:

I’ve got both and others to follow. I was diagnosed with the ADHD first. I read everything to do with organizing and self management. I made it a hobby. You don’t have to be perfect just good enough until you get better info and/or the right support. I'm also still trying to teach myself on how to handle other areas in my life.

ASD try to reframe what ASD means to you. Look for the good stuff. Look people up with ASD who inspire you. Figure out what makes a person succeed with ASD. And like many said on this post do one thing at a time.

Learn what works for you. Use the good things of your neurological difference to deal with the difficulties.

It’s been ten years since my ADHD diagnosis and two since ASD I think that as the time has passed and encountered different situation in the context of my diagnosis I’ve developed systems. It hasn’t been easy but I feel much more confident now than I did not knowing anything about my conditions.

I hope this helps.