Community Colleges Consider Building Dorms

Page 4 of 5 [ 71 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jul 2019, 7:37 pm

Doing a search for "apartments for rent eureka ca" will give you Apartments.com, Zillow, Trulia, Craigslist, Realtor.com, Apartment Finder etc.

https://www.google.com/search?ei=OigpXb ... rMqwvO5OdM

You could also call the Eureka / Humboldt County housing authority (707) 443-4583 and ask some questions about age 55+ and disabled housing. I would imagine being over 55 and disabled gives you an "advantage" in maybe getting into a building with an elevator and a unit with handrails. All the checking I did was done on my phone and only took me a few minutes.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jul 2019, 7:53 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
Zillow is one of the main apartment-getting websites. That's where I looked. There are many apartments in the $600-700 range.

Eureka doesn't have a bad reputation for gang violence or anything like that. There's no toxic waste dump. The water quality is good.

One reason why people don't like Eureka is because it doesn't get warm very often. The winters can be quite rainy.

Based on a brief search the most affordable places to live in California are:

Bakersfield
Chico
Clovis
Eureka
Fontana
Oxnard
Redlands
Vacaville

I am familiar with Bakersfield which gets nearly as hot as Las Vegas.
I have been to Oxnard a couple of times before and it is off the ocean and seems nice.
Eureka seems extremely nice. I am thinking one reason Eureka is affordable is it looks pretty isolated with just smaller towns nearby so I am guessing it is not a good area for employment as far as large companies and industry go. And there is probably not much to do there as far as "night life" goes.

ASS-P
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jul 2019, 8:38 pm

...Thank you for your input, Ezra :D .

My life destroyed by Thorazine and Mellaril - and rape - and the Psychiatric/Industrial Complex. SOB:-(! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !!

ASS-P
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jul 2019, 5:12 am

...I don't quite understand how people who are homeleß can go to an entirely new town, present themselves as homeless, and get on the waiting list, anyway, for HL housing immediately - but To in apparently did that, and us now housed. I tend to assume that one would get maybe not the friendliest reception from Social Services if you are a newcomer, and are seen as, or actually are, trying to get HL help in an entirely new area. I tend to be rather shy about approaching/ trying to do things/get things from authority figures anyway :( . It maybe has hurt me. :(

My life destroyed by Thorazine and Mellaril - and rape - and the Psychiatric/Industrial Complex. SOB:-(! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !!

ASS-P
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jul 2019, 9:47 am

...Switching to something I've meant to write for a while - You know, I have had the desire to go to uni - meaning traditional, " normal ", sleepsway technically four-year college - Or uni, rather, meaning sleepsway, the " go away to " college I never had :( .
Now, maybe it never will be :( . Maybe I will not be alive long enough to do it. Or if I will be alive, I still won't have enough energy/strength to have a full load of going to classes and writing reports :( .
And e en then, maybe I could be er arrange the Grant's to do it :( .
It's true, I do want " the college experience", the stage set, even if I would not be doing the " main "= " college fun " things - or be on the side watching the a tube, you get, ones do it.
Maybe :cry: I could console myself s little. bit being besides the happiness of the younger ones...fell like a little fresh breeze blowing off of them, and I could at least feel a waft of that breeze myself. Feel a little happiness that way :cry: .

ASS-P
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jul 2019, 10:16 am

...It's true that, as someone put it in another line, I have rather the idealiized vision of uni life of the pictures in the glossy catalog - the relaxing or playing on the grass, the picturesquely studying in the library + Not frat parties. I wanted to get away from how. I even, purile though an admission though this is, wanted my teenage fun to start. Instead, what I said in my sig happened.
Yes, uni can be rather a rite of passage. And I never had mine :( . It might be pathetic. to want a little, belated, slice of the uni experience this late - but it's something I want. A f ateast, at the end of my life, I could get a taste of what I never had at my adult beginning. At least I could touch that :cry: . At least - say that I had had a little :cry: of it when I die. Will I feel better when I die iif I'm " sensible " and don't go?

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jul 2019, 4:46 am

Did you ever get those transcripts?

ASS-P
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2019, 11:47 pm

...This phone is being.invredibly bad :cry: but it's all I have :( . I am now worried, after the apparently falling down.and not rememberimg it and bring told there was blood on my brain and being prescribed and taking these anti-seizures pills and now seeing to walk even slower and more uncertainly about staying uptight :( and I wonder if an.inevitable slide downwards has truly begun :cry:.
As far as looking for a place, briefly, could those of you with better equipment look at where to look for apartments in Hollister, California, pease? Briefly, that might be the place for me to investigate me moving to.

ASS-P
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jul 2019, 2:30 am

EzraS wrote:

...Thank you :) . Hollister is the next county over from.
Santa Cruz. I am in factt on a Section 8.waiting list for there as well as DC. It isn't as " cool " as DC and (I guess) doesn't have the UC campus Cruz does, so I would presume it would be cheaper - while still near Cruz, as far as the distance of moving my stuff from storage in SC would be.Any place I went, I'd have to hang around SC somehow to arrange moving my stuff in storage - a x I'd maybe like to check in again with the eye doctor I was seeing in Cruz.

ASS-P
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jul 2019, 6:50 am

A ..Other people with standard homes have rooms of their own, often. If they can't go to sleep that can put music on or read or watch TV. I can't (barring this teeny phone) :( .
Actually, I can hardly read " real " books/magazines anymore - I don't have strong enough light almost anywhetere for my weak eyes to comfortably read print without strain unless it's strong sunlight and I can hardly, with my bad back, assume a comfortable position for reading anywhere :cry:. I often want to. cry and moan and howl over bad things that happened to me and good things that didnt but I'm not alone so I can't :( . This phone is.crapping up :(

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jul 2019, 4:03 am

Most people on SSDI who do not have a substance abuse problem or severe mental illness have a dwelling. As I have said I plan on leaving my childhood home soon and getting a room in a generic care home. Are you sure that you have not been making this far more difficult than it should have been?

ASS-P
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jul 2019, 1:36 pm

EzraS wrote:
Most people on SSDI who do not have a substance abuse problem or severe mental illness have a dwelling. As I have said I plan on leaving my childhood home soon and getting a room in a generic care home. Are you sure that you have not been making this far more difficult than it should have been?

...I am lacking almost all teeth and presctiption glasses and my backache makes having a comfortable position very hard :cry: - How am I somehow " making that harder " :o ?

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jul 2019, 4:42 pm

ASS-P wrote:
EzraS wrote:

...I am lacking almost all teeth and presctiption glasses and my backache makes having a comfortable position very hard :cry: - How am I somehow " making that harder " :o ?

I do not see what that has to do with what I wrote above.

ASS-P
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jul 2019, 9:25 pm

...I am.in the hospital yet again - my balance,/not wanting to fall after what had happened before, then, the medicos perceived problems with my kidneys and my potassium levels.
If I can get that windfall money, I will immediately go to Santa Cruz/Hollister, at least those readables are in storage there + If I could just have a private place to myself :cry: .
I only really stayed in San Francisco to get hospital care and because of the vague thought of going to CCSF - I suppose the latter will never, or anything else like it, happen, :cry: ...and maybe I'm sick enough to get attention anywhere. If only someone would have helped me a little - like teaching me to improve my computer skills :cry: .

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jul 2019, 10:30 pm

You do not need to be taught computer skills to use the internet which is all you and I are ever going to use a computer for.