What is your honest opinion of Autism Speaks?

Page 2 of 2 [ 22 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jun 2019, 8:20 pm

skibum wrote:
ASpartofme, this is really good to know. I am really grateful for everyone who is posting here. it is very important for us to express our feelings about this group to educate others.

You are welcome

My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person. - Sara Luterman

LukeBuck1976
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

18 Jun 2019, 1:33 pm

I just kind of wish them,"Good Luck!". I hear the organization has a negative bias. Now, I am actually confused about an organization that focuses on curing a born condition. While we are at it, let's figure out a cure for asthma. If Autism Speaks were to succeed, the cure would be expensive, and I would be around 40, and it will be affordable by the time I'm 70. Sooo... I don't have a strong opinion of it. :|

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jun 2019, 3:03 pm

Thank you for your post LukeBuck. I really appreciate it. It means a lot to me to have you post on my thread. And a big welcome to WP. We are very glad to have you here.

Wreck It Ralph

Ollywog
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

19 Jun 2019, 9:30 pm

Borromeo wrote:
Also, I had heard that they were trying to develop a genetic prenatal diagnosis for autism-spectrum disorders.

Prenatal diagnoses have nearly wiped out our brothers and sisters with Downs' syndrome through abortion.

I don't want selfishness to rob autistic people of their lives, either. As long as it's got 46 chromosomes I'm going to fight for its right to exist, even if it's a recently fertilized human egg...

People with Down syndrome have 47 chromosomes, you know. :|

I have not researched Autism Speaks very much, but their past attachment to anti-vax theories does not dispose me well toward them.

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jun 2019, 9:38 pm

I've seen people on WP ask their opinion of Autism $peaks many times. And I have said how horrible they are many times.

Autism $peaks doesn't speak for me. I can speak for myself.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

Location: In a quiet and peaceful garden where Mick Avory-like Sweet Peas grow

19 Jun 2019, 11:40 pm

lostonearth35 wrote:
I've seen people on WP ask their opinion of Autism $peaks many times. And I have said how horrible they are many times.

Autism $peaks doesn't speak for me. I can speak for myself.

They don't speak for me, either.

Kanye West 2024

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=26&start=645