Page 1 of 1 [ 15 posts ] 

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jun 2019, 7:30 pm

Was drifting off to sleep, but then suddenly I was awake and choking. So I have to sit up quick and try to breathe. I get rhis sometimws, and usually by drinking somw water and swollowing I am ok. I think my mum get something similar but different.
Anyway. What was strange is I felt as if there was an earth quake at the same time after I awake up and got to breathe again... my body was feeling the bed shake. Strange! We do occasionally have small earthquakes here the last few years. I believe thwy are experimenting with something. This house seems to be on the edge of a fault line as when we had a 4.6 a few years ago the floor of the house felt like it jumped down about a foot and a half. It just suddenly dropped. Yet other people felt shaking. On the recordings for seismic activity, it was downgraded and then dissapeared off rhe internet... Which proves that it was some government experiment... As it was definately quite something...
The second one was I think a 4.2 which my mum was in the house. I heard the rumble from outside and she had the chair shaking. Not as violent as the other one where the ground dropped. Yet they have recorded this one and it has not dissappeared from the seismic history.

PoseyBuster88
Toucan
Toucan

17 Jun 2019, 10:44 pm

That is strange! Never had that happen...I've felt like I'm in a hammock/boat before, but that's about it.

Mayel
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

18 Jun 2019, 12:54 am

Sometimes I also get awaken by feeling like I cannot breathe. It's probably because of dry air or sleeping with your mouth open.

And the other stuff. I don't think that is strange. If you live in a zone with seismic activity, that's what happens, small earthquakes can happen every week. You may or may not notice them.

red_doghubb
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

18 Jun 2019, 7:05 am

These sound like bouts of sleep paralysis. It's a rare form of narcolepsy, in which you remain paralyzed as you are waking, and have the sensation of not being able to breathe. When I can pull myself from it, I wake up abruptly, gasping for a breath and knowing that I can't let my eyes close or I'll get pulled back in. I've had an epi a week for 30 yrs and it was diagnosed by a neurologist. I understand sleep disorders are common in Aspergers.

Some people experience hallucinations during sleep paralysis, so maybe this explains the earthquake feeling.

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jun 2019, 7:26 am

Both my mum and I get that. Suddenly waking up and taking a huge gulp of air! Yes.

But I am getting it also in a different way as when I lie back I am continually swollowing. Why I don't do well at the dentist as they want me to lie back, but I can't then open my mouth because I need to swollow. I had to wait over four years to get teeth taken out by being knocked out. Two teeth could have been fixed but my dentist couldn't do them due to me needing to swollow what comes down the back of my throat from my nose.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jun 2019, 7:34 am

Waking up and taking a huge gulp of air could be due to sleep apnea.

red_doghubb
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

18 Jun 2019, 7:40 am

Mountain Goat wrote:
Both my mum and I get that. Suddenly waking up and taking a huge gulp of air! Yes.

But I am getting it also in a different way as when I lie back I am continually swollowing. Why I don't do well at the dentist as they want me to lie back, but I can't then open my mouth because I need to swollow. I had to wait over four years to get teeth taken out by being knocked out. Two teeth could have been fixed but my dentist couldn't do them due to me needing to swollow what comes down the back of my throat from my nose.

swallowing while lying back is not a sleep paralysis thing

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jun 2019, 8:03 am

red_doghubb wrote:
Mountain Goat wrote:

swallowing while lying back is not a sleep paralysis thing

I realize that. It is why I mentioned the other. Both are very different.

Trogluddite
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jun 2019, 2:11 pm

I agree with Ezra; what you describe with the swallowing and gulping air sounds like your tongue is falling too far back in your throat and obstructing your air-pipes; typical of obstructive sleep apnea. That's definitely worth asking your GP about. It can seriously mess with your quality of sleep, as it doesn't always wake people up enough to be aware of how often it's happening during the night.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jun 2019, 2:14 pm

There's a form of apnea called Upper Airway Resistance (UAR). It seems similar to what you describe.

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jun 2019, 2:25 pm

Trogluddite wrote:
I agree with Ezra; what you describe with the swallowing and gulping air sounds like your tongue is falling too far back in your throat and obstructing your air-pipes; typical of obstructive sleep apnea. That's definitely worth asking your GP about. It can seriously mess with your quality of sleep, as it doesn't always wake people up enough to be aware of how often it's happening during the night.

In regards to something similar, where my throat was closing up with my sholders up etc. My doctor was mentioning putting something down my throat to take a look. I would need to be knocked out to do this.

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jun 2019, 2:27 pm

It sounds like sleep apnea. You should get a sleep study done. You could be waking up more often than you think and just not remembering it.

Do you feel tired during the day?

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jun 2019, 2:40 pm

Yes but this is because my mind is very active at night. Last night I didn't et much sleep because of the baby ducks. I managed to keep the weakest one alive, but I didn't notice the second weakest one was in need of help and it died during the night. It may have been smothered by the other chicks, so we have 15 left. I got up twice to see to them and my mum did, and also I didn't go to bed until late and checked on them before bed (I think I did... It was all a blurr!)

Persephone29
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jun 2019, 5:20 pm

EzraS wrote:
Waking up and taking a huge gulp of air could be due to sleep apnea.

My thoughts too. I have severe sleep apnea, it's dangerous long term, if left untreated.

Neurocognitive exam in May 2019, diagnosed with ASD, Asperger's type in June 2019.

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jun 2019, 5:26 pm

I am not going to die until the end of my life. :) (He sais humourously!)