Dave Mustaine: Megadeth frontman diagnosed with cancer

Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ] 

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jun 2019, 4:46 pm

BBC

Quote:
Megadeth have cancelled most of their upcoming tour as frontman Dave Mustaine undergoes treatment for throat cancer.

Mustaine announced his diagnosis on the metal band's website, but said he was optimistic about his treatment plan.

"It's clearly something to be respected and faced head on - but I've faced obstacles before," he said.

"I'm working closely with my doctors, and we've mapped out a treatment plan which they feel has a 90% success rate. Treatment has already begun."

Although the majority of Megadeth's tour dates have been cancelled, the recently-announced "Megacruise" will take place as scheduled in October "and the band will be a part of it in some form", Mustaine wrote.

Billed as "five days and nights of heavy metal decadence and debauchery," the cruise is due to feature concerts, masterclasses and meet-and-greets with the band.

Mustaine added that the group would continue to work on the follow-up to their Grammy-winning 2016 album Dystopia while he receives treatment.

"I'm so thankful for my whole team - family, doctors, band members, trainers, and more," he said. "I'll keep everyone posted."

Mustaine formed Megadeth in 1983 after an acrimonious split with Metallica, where he was the original lead guitarist.

The band were pioneers of what came to be known as "thrash metal", playing faster and louder than their contemporaries, with an emphasis on Mustaine's lightning-fast guitar skills.

Their last album, Dystopia, was released in 2016, and the title track earned the band their first-ever Grammy, for best metal performance.

In his statement, the frontman vowed he would be "back on the road asap".

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jun 2019, 10:27 pm

I don't know Dave Mustaine, but I have great respect for musicians, guitarists, and anyone battling cancer.

My sympathies. :(