Page 1 of 2 [ 31 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Persephone29
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jun 2019, 6:05 pm

Even though I am rarely seen in public, I have an obsession with survival skills. So, I figured I'd share the things I learn here. They are in no particular order. Just where ever I open my book...

Today's lesson is Polar Bear safety ( I live in the Southern US, so the chances of me meeting up with a Polar Bear are slim ).

Adults stand 8-10 feet tall. Adult males weigh 500-1000 lbs, adult females 400-600 lbs. They are carnivores. They eat ringed seals, young walrus, maybe me. They are silent plodders, fierce fighters with variable personalities. When agitated they hiss, growl, yawn and if they are very upset, they foam at the mouth! 8O

They use their white coats ( I've heard the hairs on their coats are actually clear, but they reflect the white of the surrounding terrain ) as camouflage. It will even cover it's black nose up with it's paw. It moves with stealth, between blocks of ice, travels into the wind so it's prey doesn't realize it's being stalked. Once it's within 30 feet of it's prey, it bounds forward and seizes the front of the body.

Polar Bear Attack: Polar Bears are great, stealthy hunters according to my book. But, all I ever see on the Discovery channel are epic fails. One thing's for sure, they are patient. The most dangerous are the young that have just left their mothers, approx. 2 1/2 years old. They aren't very efficient hunters yet and they are always hungry.

The [b]most[b] important chance for survival is seeing the bear before it sees you. If it sees you first, it will go into stealth mode and be on top of you before you even have time to grab for your weapon. A single unarmed human has a marginal chance of survival. Always carry bear spray and a firearm, if possible. The Inuit usually have dogs near their dwellings to sound an alarm.

Stay tuned for tomorrow's episode.

Neurocognitive exam in May 2019, diagnosed with ASD, Asperger's type in June 2019.

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jun 2019, 7:02 pm

The strange thing is that dogs get on well with polar bears.

shortfatbalduglyman
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jun 2019, 7:53 pm

If it's 8O survival of the fittest :twisted: , I should have been exterminated a long time ago

36 years old should know more survival skills than me

Physically weak
Academically stupid
Vocationally incompetence
Emotionally fragile
Clinically depression
Social anxiety Disorder
Executive processing dysfunction
Bowel movement difficulty
Visually ugly

Some people are just more suited for survival than others

Autistic is not fit for survival

Some people are born blind

They are not fit for survival, all things being equal

They didn't do anything wrong

mcknzAlex
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

18 Jun 2019, 8:06 pm

I am obsessed with being fit, as I have experienced bullying and body shaming up to this day.

Darmok
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jun 2019, 8:14 pm

There Are Four Lights!

Persephone29
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jun 2019, 8:21 am

Ha Ha! :lol: You guys are great!

Today's installment is QUICKSAND!

How to survive if you find yourself in quicksand:

Quicksand is gravel, sand and silt that is saturated with water. A sign that it's quicksand is that the water oozes upwards. This water keeps the sand and muck in suspension, there may also be a thin crust on the surface. It looks like it can support weight, but it can't.

If you find yourself in quicksand do not struggle.

* trying to lift one foot makes the other foot sink deeper, because all of your weight is now all on the one foot. Don't do that either... :skull:
* try dropping to your hands and knees and crawling slowly towards a side. By doing this, you are attempting to distribute your weight over a wider surface area.
* if the mire is too soft and you feel you are making no progress and still sinking, lie flat on your stomach and move only one body part at a time. Try to float out of the quicksand using snake like movements. :heart:

Stay tuned!

Neurocognitive exam in May 2019, diagnosed with ASD, Asperger's type in June 2019.

IstominFan
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jun 2019, 9:20 am

Interesting information, Persephone!

Persephone29
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jun 2019, 3:17 pm

IstominFan wrote:
Interesting information, Persephone!

Thanks! :heart:

Persephone29
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jun 2019, 3:50 pm

Today's installment:

Finding a cave (for potential shelter)

A cave is an ideal shelter as it offers a roof, fairly constant temperature and is secure. As a neurotic aside not listed in my book, make sure there's not a bear in it. 8O

If there is one cave there's a high probability there's more. :idea:

* To find caves watch where the bats are emerging from at dusk, or returning to at dawn.
* Caves can also be located by watching the appearance and disappearance of steams of water.
* Limestone outcrops, in a rainy area, can indicate the possible presence of caves. Check the cracks in limestone, is there cool air or steam rising from the crack? Could mean a cave! :!:

**Careful when lighting fires in caves. Depending on the size of the cave, it could use up all the oxygen in the cave if it's too small. Or, cause an explosion if the bat guano catches fire. :skull:

See you tomorrow

Persephone29
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jun 2019, 8:35 pm

Did you know that if you are at sea, you can tell by the types of birds that fly over how close (approximately) you are to land?

* birds like the Albatross can be very far from land, but usually within 100 miles of their breeding spots.
* White Terns are usually within 40 miles of land
also worthy of mention are the amount of birds seen:
* 3+ Frigate Birds means 100 miles of land
6+ Frigate Birds means within 75 miles of land

So, if you are ever floating out in the ocean just be sure you know your sea birds and which way is land. In which case, I will be screwed.

shortfatbalduglyman
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jun 2019, 8:43 pm

My obsession

:mrgreen:

Structural engineering

Job prestige

$$$

Homophobic

Logic

Grudge

Philosophy

Fat

Counseling

Suicide

Extroverts

Precious lil "people"

All of them are over 15 years old

Persephone29
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jun 2019, 9:32 pm

shortfatbalduglyman wrote:
My obsession

:mrgreen:

Structural engineering

Job prestige

$$$

Homophobic

Logic

Grudge

Philosophy

Fat

Counseling

Suicide

Extroverts

Precious lil "people"

All of them are over 15 years old

I'm impressed!

IstominFan
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jun 2019, 10:31 am

My interests (obsessions!):

Cats
The Olympic Games
Tennis (Nadal, Federer, Istomin)
History
Literature
Medical/mental health topics
Disability topics
Collection information in large volumes about all of the above, and more, and writing about them

Eddiefun
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

10 Sep 2019, 1:58 am

And my obsession is to collect and read comics ! I have more than 500 comics at home of different years. Now I’m reading this EDITED OUT LINK and can’t stop reading it . It’s my obsession! If you try once you will read it till the end coz many beautiful pictures there.

Wolfram87
Veteran
Veteran

10 Sep 2019, 5:00 am

Persephone29 wrote:
( I've heard the hairs on their coats are actually clear, but they reflect the white of the surrounding terrain )

They remain white or yellow-ish off-white even when in non-white environments. Though I suppose a coat of clear fur looks white if it's thick enough. Funnily enough, their actual skin is black.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

10 Sep 2019, 7:34 am

A polar bear will leave you alone if you give him a bottle of Coca-Cola and a smile. Especially at Christmas time.