Page 1 of 2 [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jun 2019, 3:41 am

In a new study, "Long-term benefit of Microbiota Transfer Therapy in Autism Symptoms and Gut Microbiota," published in Scientific Reports, Arizona State University researchers Rosa Krajmalnik-Brown, Ph.D., James Adams, Ph.D, and lead author Dae-Wook Kang, Ph.D, demonstrate long-term beneficial effects for children diagnosed with ASD through a revolutionary technique known as Microbiota Transfer Therapy (MTT)
"We are finding a very strong connection between the microbes that live in our intestines and signals that travel to the brain," said Krajmalnik-Brown
The initial study involved a "first-generation" estimate as to optimal dose and duration of treatment, and it was enough for 90% of the children to have substantial benefit with up to 50% of autism symptoms reduced for 2yrs after the fecal transplant

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2 ... 093725.htm

Trueno
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jun 2019, 6:08 am

A fecal transplant is not the same as eating poo.

Unkind tongue, right ill hast thou me rendered
For such desert to do me wreak and shame

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

19 Jun 2019, 6:39 am

Trueno wrote:

+1

<not moderating PPR stuff concerning East Europe>

KT67
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jun 2019, 6:45 am

This is true cos if someone is stupid enough/outsider influenced/insecure enough to eat poo just because another person tells them to, they might as well be NT.

Just be happy you're aspie guys, it brings benefits as well as negatives. Like um, not eating poo just because someone said it's the cool thing to do these days. Or for more of an irl eg, not doing tide pod challenge.

BenderRodriguez
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jun 2019, 6:55 am

While it's unclear if fecal transplant can improve syptoms of ASD, it is a legit medical procedure that does not involve "eating poo".

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jun 2019, 9:30 am

The microbiota are introduced through an anal suppository, not by ingestion.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

jimmy m
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jun 2019, 10:06 am

The title of this thread is a bit misleading.

Microbiota Transfer Therapy (MTT) for individuals with autism spectrum disorders (ASD) who have gastrointestinal problems. I do not think it is a cure-all solution. [But a lack of proper nutrition can also lead to a host of other medical problems.]

Also it does not correlate to "eating poo".

Previous research has shown that individuals with ASD have a low diversity of gut bacteria, and low diversity is generally associated with poor gastrointestinal (GI) health. They previously found that MTT therapy for children with ASD and GI symptoms was helpful in reducing their GI symptoms, reducing their ASD symptoms, and increasing their diversity of gut bacteria.

There are different types of bacteria. Some of these bacteria are good gut bacteria, that promotes a healthy digestion of food. Generally individuals take probiotics to reestablish their colonies of gut bacteria, especially after using antibiotics. So if Aspies do not have the full compliment of healthy gut bacteria, they will experience many health related concerns. Thus this approach makes sense.

Trogluddite
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jun 2019, 10:16 am

It's also reported to be beneficial for Koalas recovering from their injuries after being rescued from bush fires (from this week's New Scientist magazine.) :D

Wolfram87
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jun 2019, 4:04 pm

Trueno wrote:

I have seen gel capsules with processed fecal bacteria used as part of a related treatment, but I'm pretty sure an actual fecal transplant is a bit more refined than just having a turd sandwich.

Trogluddite
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jun 2019, 4:07 pm

^ In the story about the Koalas, the scientists dubbed them "crapsules"! :lol:

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jun 2019, 12:08 am

I've been drinking a gallon of urine every day for a while. Now for plan #2. I wonder if they make deep fried poo in Scotland?

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jun 2019, 12:24 am

So what is the conclusion? That most of us who are or maybe on the spectrum.... Well. We didn't eat our poo when young and all NT's did? That is something to tell any NT's if they start to pick on you! And you can refer to these studies to state your case!

Haha. Well. Maybe! Better just to chuckle to yorself when they pick on you! They won't know what is in your mind and will probably leave you alone assuming you to be crazy... And won't realize that we know something they don't know! They eat poo! :lol:

jimmy m
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jun 2019, 7:37 am

This morning, I came across the following article that relates:

FMT has a long history but remains an investigational drug with FDA oversight. In the last few days, the FDA issued a safety warning to physicians reporting that two adults who received FMT developed an even more extensive infection from an antibiotic resistant E. Coli in the FMT they received and one died. Both patients already had compromised immune systems.

One of the more common infections associated with overtreatment is C. difficile colitis, an infection of the large intestine, the colon. It occurs in patients subject to multiple courses of antibiotics, which have significantly altered the bacteria that naturally live within our intestines, the microbiome. The imbalances, think of it as collateral damage to the more beneficial bacteria, have allowed C. difficile to become more prominent. It is debilitating on its own, and a more significant problem in patients already weakened by the issues bringing them to the hospital in the first place.

While initial management has been with even stronger antibiotics, antibiotic resistance to those agents is a growing problem, and effective alternative therapy is to restock the colon with an infusion of bacteria from a healthy individual. For the thoughtful reader who might ask the source of the transplanted bacteria, the answer is that it comes from another person’s feces, collected, homogenized or dehydrated and given as an enema or pill. The medical term is fecal microbiota transplant or FMT.

FMT began as an experiment by clinicians, not in a research laboratory; and how to prepare the transplant material, to screen for donors, and administer the treatment all had to be discovered. Treating patients with FMT was a bit of a cottage industry until it was used enough and was efficacious enough to attract the attention of investment dollars and the FDA.

In the past few years, the FDA has reigned in, and standardized preparations and screening for as part of the workup, you need healthy donors. In the early days, family members could be found to donate, as it is beginning to be commercialized, companies have sought unrelated donors because they can supply the raw materials more consistently. As it turns out, the health and medical history of the donor is more critical than we had thought, and more exacting restrictions need to be applied.

Source: What Pharmaceutical R&D Looks Like

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jun 2019, 8:23 am

I'd try most anything for a cure
But I ain't eating no poo
I can't go for that, no can do
No, I can't go for that, no can do
I can't go for that, no can do
Can't go for that
Can't go for that
Can't go for that

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jun 2019, 8:27 am

Fecal transplantation is also (rarely) used to treat colitis.

There was a recent "warning" which stated, in essence, that the procedure is still in an experimental stage.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jun 2019, 2:36 am

I was thinking it could be like getting a gut biota transplant from a University professor - a new type of brains trust