Page 1 of 2 [ 25 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

fluffysaurus
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jun 2019, 6:47 am

I'm thinking of giving OMAD a try because I struggle to organise eating three healthy meals a day, I'm always

playing catch up and I get stressed over all the shopping. I'm not looking to loose weight or excuse binge eating.

Has anyone tried it, what happened?

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jun 2019, 6:52 am

It can have the opposite effect and cause your body to store calories in panic mode, but chances are you'll be fine with no noticeable changes. I generally eat just once or maybe twice a day myself. You won't be hungry after the initial period of adjustment.

fluffysaurus
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jun 2019, 7:04 am

This is what I'm hopping. My main concern is fitting in enough protean through whole foods into one meal without feeling like a sausage trying to escape it's casing.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jun 2019, 7:08 am

Nuts! :P

Add nuts to whatever meal you make to complement the other protein, or eat nuts throughout the day. You can grind them very fine or use them for crunch. Pine nuts, almonds, walnuts or peanut are a great addition to most flavours.

I'm hoping of course you aren't allergic and I didn't just cause you to swell. 8)

shortfatbalduglyman
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jun 2019, 8:56 am

What time do you eat the one meal a day?

Sounds like your metabolism goes down because your body thinks it's in starvation mode

Isn't that the equivalent of skipping breakfast and lunch?

Sounds inconvenient. Work lunch.

But I am not nutritionist

Some of it could just be culture

Peer pressure

Please go to nutritionist

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jun 2019, 9:24 am

I don't eat any sort of nut....I'm not allergic.

fluffysaurus
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jun 2019, 3:45 pm

shortfatbalduglyman wrote:
What time do you eat the one meal a day?

Sounds like your metabolism goes down because your body thinks it's in starvation mode

Isn't that the equivalent of skipping breakfast and lunch?

Sounds inconvenient. Work lunch.

But I am not nutritionist

Some of it could just be culture

Peer pressure

Please go to nutritionist

I'm thinking evening would be the best time for me to eat.

It's definitely not the culture here in Uk. Everyone here eats everything, constantly.

Don't worry, I won't start until I'm sure it's safe. I am doing lots of research. I believe the metabolism thing should be ok because I will be eating every day, plenty of fat and protean. Also it's recommended if you're still hungry after the body has had time to adjust to add some extra meals as the hunger then is a sign that you are not getting enough of what's needed.

fluffysaurus
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jun 2019, 3:50 pm

IsabellaLinton wrote:
Nuts! :P

Add nuts to whatever meal you make to complement the other protein, or eat nuts throughout the day. You can grind them very fine or use them for crunch. Pine nuts, almonds, walnuts or peanut are a great addition to most flavours.

I'm hoping of course you aren't allergic and I didn't just cause you to swell. 8)

Eat nuts throughout day :lol: I don't think that's how fasting is supposed to work.

I love nuts especially Brazil nuts; they have the selenium.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

22 Jun 2019, 6:30 am

I would usually only eat one big meal a day as a kid, teen, & into my 20s due to being a very picky eater who couldn't cook & mom hated having to fix special meals for me. I was skinny. I gained alot of weight since I moved in with my girlfriend about 6 & a half years ago cuz I started eating 3 meals a day partly due to meds & supplements I take. I tend to kinda binge eat when I eat. It's like my body & mind are still used to eating big when I do eat & I have a hard time restraining/limiting myself.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jun 2019, 7:59 am

fluffysaurus wrote:
Eat nuts throughout day :lol: I don't think that's how fasting is supposed to work.

:pig: :pig: :pig:

Whoops, OK fluffs, you got me there. I didn't realise you were actively trying to fast. I thought you wanted to try OMAD because it would be less shopping, preparation and organisation. I thought nuts would be an easy / no prep / no organisation snack if needed. You're right though, if you do this you should keep to a steady cycle for eating once a day so you won't feel hungry in between. You could still add nuts to the 'one meal', though.

fluffysaurus wrote:
I'm thinking of giving OMAD a try because I struggle to organise eating three healthy meals a day, I'm always playing catch up and I get stressed over all the shopping. I'm not looking to loose weight or excuse binge eating.

fluffysaurus
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jun 2019, 8:29 am

IsabellaLinton wrote:
fluffysaurus wrote:

:pig: :pig: :pig:

Whoops, OK fluffs, you got me there. I didn't realise you were actively trying to fast. I thought you wanted to try OMAD because it would be less shopping, preparation and organisation. I thought nuts would be an easy / no prep / no organisation snack if needed. You're right though, if you do this you should keep to a steady cycle for eating once a day so you won't feel hungry in between. You could still add nuts to the 'one meal', though.

fluffysaurus wrote:
I'm thinking of giving OMAD a try because I struggle to organise eating three healthy meals a day, I'm always playing catch up and I get stressed over all the shopping. I'm not looking to loose weight or excuse binge eating.

Sorry, yea, I didn't actually say I was doing the fasting bit did I (fluffy bashes herself over head with frying pan).

I might as well do the thing properly if I'm going to do it and apparently (we shall see) you stop feeling hungry

between meals after a few days. I'm also interested to see if I get any of the other promised health benefits

such as improved digestion, less inflammation, more energy ect.

fluffysaurus
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jun 2019, 8:32 am

nick007 wrote:
I would usually only eat one big meal a day as a kid, teen, & into my 20s due to being a very picky eater who couldn't cook & mom hated having to fix special meals for me. I was skinny. I gained alot of weight since I moved in with my girlfriend about 6 & a half years ago cuz I started eating 3 meals a day partly due to meds & supplements I take. I tend to kinda binge eat when I eat. It's like my body & mind are still used to eating big when I do eat & I have a hard time restraining/limiting myself.

I don't eat enormous meals at the moment (might be about to change) but I find it very hard to stop snaking and picking at things after I've had my lunch or dinner and my meals start blurring into each other.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

23 Jun 2019, 9:07 am

fluffysaurus wrote:
nick007 wrote:

I don't eat enormous meals at the moment (might be about to change) but I find it very hard to stop snaking and picking at things after I've had my lunch or dinner and my meals start blurring into each other.
I started doing that too

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

fluffysaurus
Veteran
Veteran

01 Aug 2019, 7:12 am

Update.

First I ordered a freezer and the freezer dishes for the batch cooking to make it easier to have proper meals that just need heating for when I get back from work.

While waiting for the freezer I began IF. Intermittent fasting can be done in several ways, I did it by fasting between my evening meal and lunch the next day.

Day 1, no breakfast at usual time of 7.30, hungry at 9.30 but I always am even when I've had a huge breakfast. Hunger wore off, came back at 11.30 so I put on my lunch and had fish finger sandwich at 12. Overall, went well.

First week, continue to feel hungry 9.30-10.30am but it doesn't get any worse. Tummy much happier.

Second week, I have reduced the amount of carbohydrate in my dinner, now only a bit peckish at about 10am, quickly passes.

Day before Freezer due to be delivered I have only one boiled egg for lunch and eat it at 2pm.

Day 1, Full OMAD, it's my day off so I can have my evening meal earlier than normal if I struggle but all goes well, begin to eat at 6.30pm. Begin with large dark green leafy salad as recommended with two boiled eggs, followed by dinner (modest carbs, plenty of fat) followed by yogurt with fruit and nuts on top, and biscuit.

First three weeks of OMAD, overall, happy and will continue. Changing to full OMAD was easier than changing from normal to IF. I cannot eat as much food in one go as I thought. I do not need as much food as I thought particularly carbs which seem to drive hunger. OMAD concentrates what you eat so while it can be a way to make eating better easier it will increase nutrient deficiencies in a bad diet.

Research suggests that OMAD is best done once the body has got used to it alongside other forms of IF and even days of non-fasting.

Yesterday I did an IF day as a way of getting in some extra nutrition. I had something at 12. Today I OMAD again, it is 1.20pm and I am not feeling at all hungry. Excelent because my one concern has been fitting in enough nutrition.

fluffysaurus
Veteran
Veteran

01 Aug 2019, 7:19 am

I'm going to post a couple of the most helpful vids I found but these guys all have hundreds of vids if you're interested.

fluffysaurus
Veteran
Veteran